Alright...so i've been soloing off this backtrack for awhile now....and I have some questions regarding using the phrygian dominant mode on this backtrack....

heres the link for the track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suroPx90LyI

Now the backtrack's in B minor, so am I right in saying that the phrygian dominant mode starts on F sharp since it's the 5th note of the harmonic minor scale? Could I lower the 4th to a d sharp while in this mode? The sound the D sharp gives off seems to fit the back track very well....only it's not in the scale? Idk It's confusing me lol

The reason i'm using phrygian dominant is because I want to give my solo some spanish feel.

what do you guys think? I'm not that great on theory lol
No modes. Stop thinking in terms of modes.

Phrasing.

If you know what spanish music feels like, use phrasing to get that feel. Play in B minor.

Not to mention the fact that if the track is in B minor, you wont be playing Phrygian dominant. Even if you started on that note. You'll still be in B minor.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
No modes. Stop thinking in terms of modes.

Phrasing.

If you know what spanish music feels like, use phrasing to get that feel. Play in B minor.

Not to mention the fact that if the track is in B minor, you wont be playing Phrygian dominant. Even if you started on that note. You'll still be in B minor.

+1

No modes, it's just B minor.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You can use B minor, but try to through in accidentals where needed to try to get that "spanish" sound you want

i would look up songs that have the feel/solo to them. its a good idea to figure out what you want to sound like

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.