Hello, I was in a music store today when I heard some guys playing what he called "12-Bar Blues" on his bass and I was wondering if anyone could give me some more information on it
Its the basic blues progression.
It is the I,IV,and V7 chords in whatever key you are playing in
It goes like this....
In the Key of E
e is the chord being played for 4 measures (the I chord)
then A for 2 measures (the IV chord)
than back to E for 2 more measures
than B for a measure (the V chord) then A for a measure
then E for the last 2 measures
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
and obviously the chords will be changed depending on what key you are in,
for example if A is the key, than A will be the I, D will be the IV and E will be the V
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
To add on to what he said, it's basically this:

4 measures of the I chord in whatever key you are in
2 measures of the IV chord
2 measures of the I chord
2 measures of the V chord (or sometimes people do 1 measure of V chord followed by 1 measure of the IV chord)
2 measures of the I chord

Also, this is very easy to do solos in. All you need to know is the blues scale in whatever key you are in and play whatever you want. If you end on a note that sounds bad, just bend it until it sounds OK and people will think your a great blues player!

Hope that helps.
and one more post,
12 bar blues written out....
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
The 12 bar blues is also very versatile, it is used in Jazz and by many blues rock bands like Zeppelin and Cream
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
Well, when he played it, it looked like this:
G|-----------------------------------------------|
D|---------2--3--2-----------------------------|
A|---2--5-----------5--2-----------------------|
E|-3-----------------------3--------------------|

Idk, how that relates to what you guys are talking about........sorry if i seem really stupid
Last edited by Bobfred75 at Apr 26, 2011,
play that riff for I in the chrart above. play the same pattern a string up starting on C for IV. then start on D for V. basically.
#DTWD
So the I, IV, V shows what note it is, then you just play that little thing for each I, IV, V?
yeah pretty much. that would be a fairly common walking bassline going through the 12 bar blues.
no sir away a papaya war is on
and yeah, you can outline the chords however you want, but that's the standard cliche way. not necessarily bad but kinda hokey. it'll get you through a blues though and no on will be displeased with you assuming it's a real shuffle 12/8 roadhouse blues feel.
#DTWD
The I, IV and V tell you which chord you are playing.
In any given major key you have 7 notes, all of which can be extended int ochords that fit that key.
Take the key of C Major, the notes you have are:
C D E F G A B

The chord "order" for every major key is:
I ii iii IV V vi viio
A capital = major chord
A lower case = minor chord
A lower case with the "o" = a diminished chord.

So for the key of C Major the chords you have are:
C - I - Major
D - ii - Minor
E - iii - Minor
F - IV - Major
G - V - Major
A - vi - Minor
B - viio - Diminished.

The pattern you posted started on the 3rd fret of the E string of a G. So we can assume it's in the key of G Major (it could be minor, but that depends on the rest of the progression)
The notes in the key of G Major are:
G - I
A - ii
B - iii
C - IV
D - V
E - vi
F# - viio

So the I is a G major chord, the IV is the C Major chord and the V is the D major chord.

If you learn about basic chord construction (i.e. how to make chords from notes) and how these chords fit into different keys, then this sorta stuff becomes much easier to understand