Page 1 of 3
Anybody here do self-defence classes? Or are self-taught? I think it's a really useful skill to have. I've been started on quite a few times, and almost had to use it. Been punched in the face once by some guy then he ran away , but that's another story...

Anyway, stories, techniques, training, schools of martial art if applicable, yaddah yaddah.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.

Bas Rutten
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis

Bas Rutten

His videos crack me up no end

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I got kicked out of Judo classes because I broke the sensei's arm. I wasn't paying attention and he thought the "new kid" wouldn't be able to dodge his blow.. guess I taught him wrong

afterwards I went to Kung Fu, but it only made me more agressive and a ticking testosterone-bomb
You're American, buy a gun!
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
You know what the best self-defense is? Running away. Anything else is aggression, not defense.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Who needs Self defense when you have fog machines?

*sets fog machine, run away*
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I do have a black belt in Kenpo karate, its a rather good skill to have.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I've had some informal firearms training, but nothing really serious. A friend of mine is a former SWAT officer and he was offering shooting classes so I took him up on the offer. I also have some experience with shooting IPSC and other competition, but once again nothing really serious.

as for martial arts, I have had some Karate classes a while ago, but now I am currently looking into Krav maga.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Martial Arts is cool.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
After I was in my second random meaningless drunken brawl this guy decided to teach me to fight, which basically came down to "Figure out what he's going to do in time to be out of the way, then shatter his kneecap. Then kick him in the crotch, 'cause it funnier that way." I turned out to be awesome at knife fighting. Also, I've studied a lot of fencing and kenjutsu, but that's not really useful unless somebody happens to attack me while I'm holding a sword. Or a broom handle.
One thing I've learned is that a gun is not useful for self-defense. If you pull a gun to intimidate somebody, you're an idiot, and probably a dead idiot, because when somebody sees a gun, they're no longer thinking "Oh, I could probably take this guy," they're thinking "He'll kill me unless I kill him first," so you no longer have the option of backing down. If you pull a gun and actually shoot the guy, and a court decides you could have walked away safely, you go to jail for homicide--self-defense is very narrowly defined, at least in the US. And if you pull a gun and the guy realizes you won't or can't shoot him, he's taking your gun. First rule of combat: a weapon you can't use belongs to your enemy. So the only time it's useful to pull a gun is if somebody's pointing a gun at you, in which case you're gonna die before you can put a finger on the trigger. Or out in the woods where nobody will hear your attacker's dying scream.
EDIT: for what it's worth, I can also hit six-inch-wide target from thirty yards with a handgun or fifty yards with a rifle, and once I hit a two-inch target from seventy yards with an AR-15. I just don't think it'll ever be useful.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Apr 27, 2011,
Sometimes you can't run and have to stand your ground. If it's 1v1 and you know what you're doing there's a good chance you'll get away relatively easy, but it's rarely like that, given.

And guns just exacerbate the situation a lot of the time...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I don't really take any classes... But I'm carrying a Glock 30 as soon as I can legally buy one four-hundred-some days).
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by rgrockr
Hmmm... what's this?

Martial Arts.

And obviously if a weapon is involved you yield to the threat, unless you're very experienced and want to gamble with your life...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Yeah mang. Done martial arts of varying forms since I was 5. My favourite still remains MMA with heavy Muay Thai influences, its just so practical.
Would love to try out Krav Maga at some point, since it is a 'legitimate' form of street fighting - highly practical.

Am so out of practice though, since I stopped a year ago.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Martial Arts.

And obviously if a weapon is involved you yield to the threat, unless you're very experienced and want to gamble with your life...

The point is that martial arts are pretty useless in real life situations. They can turn a robbery into a murder and they usually only escalate the level of violence.

So, the basic idea I'm making here is that martial arts are in no way a form of self-defense.
Quote by rgrockr
The point is that martial arts are pretty useless in real life situations. They can turn a robbery into a murder and they usually only escalate the level of violence.

So, the basic idea I'm making here is that martial arts are in no way a form of self-defense.

I've read a lot of things on UG that have made me facepalm, but that, my good sir... that is one of the best.
Quote by rgrockr

There's a lot from what I've seen that's too complicated for a real-life situation, but I wouldn't call them useless as such. And again, whoever tries to take down a robber has made their own decision. I'm mainly talking about if some guy has had a bit too much to drink and takes a lunge at you.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I used to do some TKD back in the day, was a red belt... then moved country and forgot all about it. Now I play football.
Planning to take up Filipino Escrima soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQltqe2FFcE

Not really for self defence, more just because it looks fun as shit, but it's always useful I guess.

And just to offer my opinion on the whole "martial arts are not useful in real life situations" thing: I disagree. In a real life situation, a drunk guy with a knife or some dude tripping balls aren't going to leave you alone if you don't confront them.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Zero-Hartman
There's a lot from what I've seen that's too complicated for a real-life situation, but I wouldn't call them useless as such. And again, whoever tries to take down a robber has made their own decision. I'm mainly talking about if some guy has had a bit too much to drink and takes a lunge at you.

And the best decision in that situation is to escalate the violence rather than just walk away? My point is that martial arts might be useful, but in aggression, not defense.
Quote by rgrockr
And the best decision in that situation is to escalate the violence rather than just walk away? My point is that martial arts might be useful, but in aggression, not defense.

No, there are times when you can't walk away. If he swings at you and you merely duck, he's going to try again. But if he swings at you, block his punch and incapacitate him it's a lot better than getting the shit out of you, isn't it?

And there's a reason why Aikido and Krav Maga are called self-defence and not self-aggression, because they teach you to use your opponents bodyweight and momentum at you a lot of the time. A good portion of it is also non-lethal grabs and takedowns that hold your opponent...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by rgrockr

Most people don't break out their martial arts skills to escalate any situations. It's primarily a defensive tool. Come back after you meet someone who know's what they're doing.

You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it!
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
I've studied Karate, Capoeira, Eskrima and Krav Maga. Capoeira I would say is pretty useless in most situations, Karate is a nice discipline, but you'll probably have to train for ages before being able to successfully apply in real life. Eskrima is good at especially defensive stuff like blocking strikes, but the most practical would have to be Krav Maga. The class I'm doing covers pretty much everything you could face in the streets, from straight up punch ups, to chokeholds, bearhugs, knife attacks and even basic handgun defense. Plus, it's much more of a workout than any of the other ones I've done.
If only there was a competition where students of all schools of martial arts would enter in order to find out which form of fighting is the most effective and practical. If only.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who needs Self defense when you have fog machines?

*sets fog machine, run away*
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I do have a black belt in Kenpo karate, its a rather good skill to have.

As am I

USSD 2nd degree, quit when I couldnt afford it anymore

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by rgrockr
You know what the best self-defense is? Running away. Anything else is aggression, not defense.

it isn't when a gun is involved.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
it isn't when a gun is involved.

or when they can chase you, or when theres more than one aggressor, or when you cant run, etc etc

Running is only useful when in school. In real life, its a rather hard task
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by rgrockr

Sure thing, dude.
In my experience which has been alot it doesnt matter how many martial arts classes you take or what belt you are once your in a fight your nature will take over if your born a pussy you are one and if your naturally tough you are you cant train your chin to take a punch and you cant make people love pain some people do.It might make tough people better at fighting but it can't turn a pussy into a hardman.
E Family
E-Son to OldiebutNewbie
E-Brother to Andrea55
E-Brother to guitarxo
E-Uncle to Basti95
Quote by itorch
In my experience which has been alot it doesnt matter how many martial arts classes you take or what belt you are once your in a fight your nature will take over if your born a pussy you are one and if your naturally tough you are you cant train your chin to take a punch and you cant make people love pain some people do.It might make tough people better at fighting but it can't turn a pussy into a hardman.

Give a whimpy person steroids and dexamphetamine - man of steel.

But otherwise yeah, you're right. Train a pussy to fight, and all you've got is a trained pussy.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by itorch

May be true that you can't train your chin to take a punch, but it's definitely true you can train so it doesn't have to. People practice things so it becomes their nature. One of my friends has been a boxer for almost all his life, and his arms are pretty much in permanent fighting position even when he's not fighting haha. The reason the military goes through such basic drills again and again is pretty much to rewrite the pussy nature with a hardman nature, and essentially, that is what martial arts tries to do as well.
Quote by cptcomet

You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it!

Break the wrist, walk away.

OT: I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do though, yeah. Well, a freestyle martial arts that was mainly based on Tae Kwon Do.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Last edited by SMH07 at Apr 27, 2011,
Page 1 of 3