I've just been browsing through the forum for a bit, and every time I see a post that brings up Raven amps, it's all "ugh it's shit guise, the OD is terrible". Now, I've been playing for a decent amount of time now, and though I don't have much amp experience in the big leagues, I can't for the life of me figure out why this is the case- the clean channel for my Raven half stack is awesome, and it lets me mold my tone into pretty much whatever I want it to be.

Anyways, just wondering. I'd guess that it's probably the price (I got mine for 250)?

Just wonderin'.
It's really not that great though when compared to other amps... Yeah, it does have a bit of the solid state cleans that are super clean. At the same time though, it's a bit, uh, fuzzy? I don't know how exactly to describe it. More or less, the reason that people hate on it is that with the other amps in it's price range, it really has no particular strengths.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by coolstoryangus
Everyone hates on them because they sound like contaminated shite.

awww, dont crush his hopes and dreams yet, i wanted to lure him in first. Makes their tears taste much sweeter.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Blick71
awww, dont crush his hopes and dreams yet, i wanted to lure him in first. Makes their tears taste much sweeter.

lol, the only reason I picked it up was because it was 250, it's not the end of the road.
You liking an amp > what the other guy thinks.

The only time I have ever seen it used on stage, was in a shitty punk band that had that stack, lined along a MG stack, and I don't think they actually had a bassist.

Toanez were shit as imaginable.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
well...raven is the equivalent to say...a line 6 spider...or the marshall MG series...they basically suck on grand proportions but for a cheap budget...essentially, you get what you pay for

EDIT: Dont get me wrong...its alright, but at that price you could have easily got a Peavey Vypyr used or something, and its WAY better...for 250$ i'd say thats a 250$ wasted unfortunatly

save up and buy something like a Vypyr or a Vox Night Train Mini stack, both are good for the budget
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 27, 2011,
I think what the real moral of the story is---

You need a new amp. Now post 1 and only ever 1 what amp thread. And that's only if your can't decide on your own.
When Ravens first came out, Guitar Center was promoting the shit out of them. Now when you walk into a GC, you see them sitting there collecting dust. I did try out the RG-60 with both a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul a couple of years ago, because I was seriously considering getting one. I'm glad that I didn't. Nuff said!