I'm looking for a new fuzz pedal. I have a Big Muff Pi at the moment, which is good, but I want something that's got more of a Black Keys/Hendrix level of fuzz going on - even when I have the Muff on minimum fuzz it seems to be way too much... apparently Muffs don't like Vox amps.

Budget - probably up to around $150ish US, i'm in New Zealand but would just get it shipped from ProGuitarShop. Gear here is ridiculously overpriced.

Gear is down below.

Short version - Want fuzz. Big Muff too much fuzz.

Cheers
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Fryer Treble Booster Deluxe
I have the same issue with my BMP...Even with the gain at 0 it adds a fair amount of fuzz. Probably why I don't use it lol.

Anyway, I've heard good things about the fuzzface. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to use on in person
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Yeah I was looking at the fuzz faces, like the Hendrix signature ones. Probably wouldn't get a chance to use one before I bought though, because the gear shops here are seriously hopeless.

What about the Russian Big Muffs?
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
The Russian Big Muffs are great but also a a lot of fuzz.
Fuzzfaces are great but like the BMP also add a lot of fuzz.
I hear the BOSS Fuzz isn't that bad either, maybe you can give that a try?

I can also suggest the ZVEX Fuzzfactory. It takes a while before you get the sound you want, but when you get it... *chills*
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
I think the Russian muffs are one of the higher thought of muff fuzzes.

There are shitloads of other fuzzes out there.

Oh and you have a Red Special and an AC30 but no treble booster? You have massive head trauma or something?
my LBM gets on quite well with my vox... but fuzzface i have als heard is pretty good.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Yeah... Red Special and AC30 but no treble booster, I know.

I'm still trying to find one that's good and doesn't cost the bank!
Brian May Red Special
Vox AC30C2
Rothwell Hellbender
Vox V847 Wah
Boss DD-7 Delay
Learn to make one.
Very easy.
Low parts count.
About $30 in parts total. Maybe a little more depending on the transistor you use. I use tested OC44s which cost me about $8 US.

I have an AC30.
Recently got a Way Huge Swollen Pickle fuzz.
Sounds pretty good.
Still playing around with settings.
This is what Jimi used supposedly:

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?entProductId=151214

Theres like 10 parts in there, you can build one yourself for a couple bucks unless you want NOS transistors.

Buy a kit here:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=130&category_id=7

The Fuzz Face is pretty much the standard... Otherwise a Tonebender is pretty good too. Either one is more suited to what you want and different from a Big Muff. I have 3 Big Muffs that still work (more parts laying around), 2 tonebenders and 2 or 3 (maybe more? i build these things) fuzz faces.

If I were to drop money on a new fuzz it would probably be the new Leviathan but I don't know if that has the sounds you are looking for.