I have been a long time reader and recent poster and have noticed that in the Electric Guitar and Guitar Gear forums there is so much trolling by the seemingly 'knowledgable' and tenured members.

Why is such public bad mouthing allowed on those forums more so than others? It's heavily swayed the whole forum IMO towards a lot more biting comments and silliness.

Just my $.02 - maybe I'm wrong, I just expect some level of maturity to be held to I guess.
How can you be bad mouthed if you're writing on a keyboard?

I don't see much trolling.
They get the answer eventually, and it'll only become a troll thread if it's a question that could be googled or is just complete balls.

I would like to see "You need a new amp" gone though. That's lame now.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by demon.guitarist
Because most users are under 16. Or have a mental ability of under 16.

and there's your answer.
[
Quote by Silent Murder
How can you be bad mouthed if you're writing on a keyboard?

They get the answer eventually, and it'll only become a troll thread if it's a question that could be googled or is just complete balls.

I would like to see "You need a new amp" gone though. That's lame now.

Easy... And backupable on two points
1) "bad mouthed" mean you use language or terms considered foul, offensive, or obcene.
2) THE CHANCES ARE that the language you type with is the same language you use. EX) You see someone cursing, odds are, they do that with their physical mouth to. Not just the keyboard.

You type the way you speak more often than you think. It's a natural thing.
No one's talking about cursing (if you're over the age of 15, chances are its a daily occurence anyway), but there's noticable argument starting and button pushing/insults being tossed around. Ah well.
Its always been the same on guitar forums where ever you go. get a bunch of teenage kids together and they are going to lark around. whats important is that you can get help when you need it here.
On forums the same question can be asked loads of times and people reading get fed up of said questions. the younger group will muck around. the older will think well I was there once. but can get fed up. .
Just ignore the spamming and get on enjoying the help and advice that is on offer.
if I took offence I would have given guitar up years ago.
just too many comments on the old g string.
hugs
Rachel
^ yeah, you can get fed up. There are only so many times you can answer the same questions before you want a bit of fun.

Quote by demon.guitarist
Because most users are under 16. Or have a mental ability of under 16.

that's a filthy lie. My mental age is 16.1.

FWIW most of the regulars doing the trolling in EG and G G&A are well over 20.

Funny thing is, life is sorta circular. When you're 19 you think 14 year-olds are idiots and you're much too serious for any kind of whimsical shenanigans. When you get a bit older you realise you can have some fun and it doesn't automatically make you an idiot. And that the 19 year-olds making fun of the 14 year olds are idiots and the 14 year olds are actually ok.

Also trolling is fun. I also like to think occasionally we help too.

Regarding forums and silliness, not to badmouth other forums, but have you ever been to the harmony central amp forum? EG and G G&A are bastions of civility and good sense compared to that- and that's when you can actually find the amp threads among all the OT threads. Or TGP? You don't even have to mention robben ford to get respect on UG. Rig Talk? You better like hair metal.

There are a few very nice civil ones but they tend to be much smaller than UG. UG is pretty good for the size of it. Plus I don't think occasional trolling, if you're helping out the other 99% of the time, is too much of a problem, as long as you're only doing it to have fun and aren't looking down on anyone or making fun at anyone's expense.

In conclusion:

The Blackstar HT5 has diode clipping shenanigans and Bugeras go on fire all the time.

:trollface:
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 28, 2011,
Dave summed it up perfectly imo.

For me personally, when I see the same question asked for the 3rd time in a day, it just invites trouble. If you can't take the time to look through the first two pages, let alone use the searchbar for a question that has just been answered, it becomes difficult to take it seriously.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 28, 2011,
you need a new amp.

what these guys said.

and when people new to that forum area of UG create gobs of the same thread over and over constantly ignoring any and all good advice, the usually more than helpful regular community gets fed up.

upgrade your power cable.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The forum just wears on you after some time. That's why the regulars are grouches, except for a few.

Long as people don't yell at each other for no reason it's okay imo. Like Dave said, as far as gear forums go, this one's pretty civil.
Quote by Silent Murder
They get the answer eventually, and it'll only become a troll thread if it's a question that could be googled or is just complete balls..

This.

If most of the members didn't ask such assbone retarded questions, I wouldn't give them a hard time. Learning through public embarrassment - that's my aim.

EG has always been so chock full of steaming fail that I won't even venture in there for fear of losing precious IQ points.

My $0.02.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, you can get fed up. There are only so many times you can answer the same questions before you want a bit of fun.

that's a filthy lie. My mental age is 16.1.

FWIW most of the regulars doing the trolling in EG and G G&A are well over 20.

Funny thing is, life is sorta circular. When you're 19 you think 14 year-olds are idiots and you're much too serious for any kind of whimsical shenanigans. When you get a bit older you realise you can have some fun and it doesn't automatically make you an idiot. And that the 19 year-olds making fun of the 14 year olds are idiots and the 14 year olds are actually ok.

Also trolling is fun. I also like to think occasionally we help too.

Regarding forums and silliness, not to badmouth other forums, but have you ever been to the harmony central amp forum? EG and G G&A are bastions of civility and good sense compared to that- and that's when you can actually find the amp threads among all the OT threads. Or TGP? You don't even have to mention robben ford to get respect on UG. Rig Talk? You better like hair metal.

There are a few very nice civil ones but they tend to be much smaller than UG. UG is pretty good for the size of it. Plus I don't think occasional trolling, if you're helping out the other 99% of the time, is too much of a problem, as long as you're only doing it to have fun and aren't looking down on anyone or making fun at anyone's expense.

In conclusion:

The Blackstar HT5 has diode clipping shenanigans and Bugeras go on fire all the time.

:trollface:

haha agreed.

i love HCAF out of all the forums you mentioned mainly for the crap with the odd amp chucked in there but the TS seems like THAT guy that posts a thread saying "Isn't this forum supposed to be about amps?"

Bet that would go down well.

They have at least one of "THAT" guy every week.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Apr 29, 2011,
haha yeah. I haven't checked HC for a while, but every time i go back it's like nothing's changed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah there has been, but trolls are f***ing jerks what can you do? I don't even pay attention to them. Later buddy.