Hey UG, I've got this small problem: my guitar tends to buzz a lot no matter on which position - humbucker or single coil, especially on high gain. I've got a Randall KH-15 which also adds it's own buzz, so the noise is unbearable. At home i've set a cool thing that i've read somewhere - I connect a wire from the amp to the radiator, which creates a proper grounding for all electronics, including the guitar, and that sorta removes a lot of buzz (though some is still there). The problem is that if I try to play somewhere else, at school or even a restaurant, even with different amps, the buzz is still there. At some places it's very quite, at other it's loud (probably depends on the electrical background or whatever it's called in english).

So, i've tried to glue some alluminum foil in the guitar's cavity, as i've read in forums that it helps to reduce a lot of unwanted noises. I did it terribly, cause these were only the first tries, but now it looks like this:

http://twitpic.com/4q54nm

For me it seems similar to those photos found on the internet, but with it or without it the buzzing is still quite loud.

So, any help? Any ideas? Maybe it's the fault of electronics or something else?
Any suggestion or advice is really welcomed here
ground it to ur bridge like your pickups should be
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
what do you mean? that wire to the back of the tremolo? It's wired, though i'm not sure if correctly.
i now notice that after few tries of fixing all that buzz i somehow made it a bit worse... damn, can someone tell me from where does it come from? which places should I check that can be wrongly wired or something?
Could be a number of things but it's mostly a grounding problem. Check that the bridge is grounded, there should be a wire that goes into the control cavity from the bridge, you can check continuity by connecting one end of a multimeter to the bridge and the other to one of the pots. Also check inside the guitar and make sure all important parts are grounded such as the pot casings, the jack enclosure etc. If it's none of these things it may be a cable problem.

Edit: it's also worth doing the shielding properly, including the pickup cavities. If nothing above fixes the problem I'd grab some copper shielding tape and put it all over. Make sure you don't short anything to it either, it should be clear of any solder joints and bare wiring.
Last edited by matt154 at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by matt154
Could be a number of things but it's mostly a grounding problem. Check that the bridge is grounded, there should be a wire that goes into the control cavity from the bridge, you can check continuity by connecting one end of a multimeter to the bridge and the other to one of the pots. Also check inside the guitar and make sure all important parts are grounded such as the pot casings, the jack enclosure etc. If it's none of these things it may be a cable problem.

Edit: it's also worth doing the shielding properly, including the pickup cavities. If nothing above fixes the problem I'd grab some copper shielding tape and put it all over. Make sure you don't short anything to it either, it should be clear of any solder joints and bare wiring.

So I just got the multimeter sent and have no idea how to use it properly. So many different settings.. Can anyone explain me how to use it so i can check everything I need? I really have no idea about all that electronics stuff, and by the small amount of replies I kinda got the idea, that only a few people do these days..

Thanks though!
ok there're two ways to do it
first you gota check if your DMM (Digital multi meter) has the following icon (setting) the pciture is something like this --|>|-- (diode) or may be something like o))) (buzzer kind of thing you know, alarm also ) along with the diode or only that without the diode. see if you've got that. now put the switch on that one and touche the tips of red and black wires to each other. if it makes a beep then that's the correct setting. your DMM might not have the buzzer in it and only write 0 on your screen. so if it does tehn anywhere where it won't show anything or will write anything other than 0 than you have the wire broken somewhere there. there's no contact.

if you can't find the icon then try 2000 or 20k (depends on your DMM) or even 200 under the Ohm section. it's like that omega sign. again if the screen reads anything other than 0 then you have a problem there.

hope this makes sense...
Agreed. Your pickups must be grounded to a bridge. If you feel like shielding the inside of your guitar, Stew-Mac.com has some shielding paint that is pretty good, you just have to remember that since the paint is conductive, you must also ground the paint which sounds kinda silly.