Page 1 of 2
Internet friend of mine is giving me a Telecaster. Approx 10 years old, says it plays great and in good condition. Never played or known any one that played a Tele. I'm all for any free guitars don't get me wrong, but it's a 5 hour drive to get it or pay for shipping. which I am on disability and both options would seriously crimp my functional budget,BIG TIME. I already have a '79 "The Paul" I LOVE, and a modified Strat squire. Is this guitar worth the expenses to retrieve?
get all the info you can and we can tell you.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If it's a real Fender Telecaster, go for it.

List of Fender Telecaster players.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Tele's are awesome. Of course youd need to know more in this case to make the call.
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
I would say if you like the looks, the sound and it fits your style then go for it. Good look on your journey, don't trust the couriers :-)
Quote by MXFNCK
Tele's are awesome. Of course you'd need to grab this deal.

fixed.

tele's are awesome. if not yet they mod it. i cant see how shipping it will cost more than driving 5 hours. shipping is usually a little cheaper because of the amounts stuff is shipped in. unless you need to go over a border but then again i can not see the 5 hour drive win it from shipping.
Depending on how you mod one, a Telecaster can do anything. SWEET guitars. That is, if it's a real Fender. Wish a friend would give me a Tele.....
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
need clear pics of the thing man, serial numbers, headstock, back etc.

could be crap, could be pure gold...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Uhhhh, theres loads of people that play teles through all the genres I know. It's a nice inbetween sound, not to humbuck thick but not quite strat bite.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Its good for playing rhythm behind me on my strat.
'Slap bass refers to the slap delivered to the bassist when they play too loud or with any kind of attention drawing behaviour...'

'The dusty end, is not my friend.'
Figure which option is cheaper for obtaining the guitar and go for it. If it is not what you expect sell it and profit a bit?
My buddy/lead guitarist uses a Tele, albeit a knockoff(the brandname's Renegade, he got it for $300 new at a local shop, but we can't find any info on it), and it's one helluva guitar, he's played blues, experimental, shred, rock, all the way up to thrash metal on it, and the thing can take pretty much anything and sound good. He prefers his Washburn for metal, but from last October 'til St. Paddy's Day weekend I had his Washburn(he was gonna trade it in for a Dean VMNT and lives 3 hours out in the middle of nowhere so he left the Washburn with me after a jam, but the guys were only gonna give him $150 for the Washburn, which he paid $800 for in May of last year, so he said no) and he could still get a good metal tone out of it. And I've tried a Fender MIA Tele, blew my mind(I play classic rock, any metal that came out between 1968 and 1992, a little grunge and a little psyche). I think they're much better than Strats, keeps the treble but has more balls to it and can handle distortion better, whereas I find Strats can't handle much of anything in the way of distortion without mudding up, humming or in the bridge position's case just ignoring most of the gain.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I'm confused how a 5-hour drive would crimp your budget big time. What's that, like one or two tanks of gas? It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the guitar. Although I'm used to road trips so maybe it's just me. My family lives 16 hours away, and at this point I could do a 5-hour drive in my sleep...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by Cajunmichael
Internet friend of mine is giving me a Telecaster. Approx 10 years old, says it plays great and in good condition. Never played or known any one that played a Tele. I'm all for any free guitars don't get me wrong, but it's a 5 hour drive to get it or pay for shipping. which I am on disability and both options would seriously crimp my functional budget,BIG TIME. I already have a '79 "The Paul" I LOVE, and a modified Strat squire. Is this guitar worth the expenses to retrieve?

Dude are you serious?

Just watch this. Tell me if this doesnt answer your question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8y1axW264

Telecasters are amazing guitars. What matters more than a guitar is the guitarist
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by 57Goldtop
I'm confused how a 5-hour drive would crimp your budget big time. What's that, like one or two tanks of gas? It's still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the guitar.

If he wasn't planning on buying a guitar, that's like around $100 he has to spend. He just wants to know if he'll be making the right decision financially by getting the guitar. If he's giving it to you, I say as long as it's not a squier take it, and if worst comes to worse you can sell it or pawn it and make more than the cost of gas back.
Is a Telecaster good for anything? Gee, let's see...

A good Telecster is definitely worth a five-hour drive.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
and lets not forget John5! that guy is a f**kin beast!!!!! bottom line telecasters are the shit lol
Listen to Jonny Greenwood(Radiohead) if you want to hear a good demonstration of the Telecaster.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

go for it damn it

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Telecasters are amazing and passing up on a FREE Tele is ridiculous.

Go for it. You won't be disappointed.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
You can play absolutely anything with a telecaster. From country to blues to metal and shred.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Ya Telecasters are AMAZING. I love the clean tones you can get out of them. And they sound really good with a little dirt.
The Telecaster is one of the most used, played, and loved guitars in the world. In fact, next to the strat it's probably the most popular guitar.
your not willing to drive 5 hours for a 800+ dollar guitar?

dooooood. come on. pay a family member to get it i dunno.

yes teles are sweet. there are enough applications or aftermarket mods to turn them into just about anything. they will do country to heavy metal (ie jim root slipknow tele)
Wow, what the hell happened here?

Did I miss the post where TS said it was a 10 year old Fender?

He just said telecaster, it could be a tele from some random $150 starter pack for all we know. And therefore not worth it with the current price of gas.
Quote by siverstorm
Wow, what the hell happened here?

Did I miss the post where TS said it was a 10 year old Fender?

He just said telecaster, it could be a tele from some random $150 starter pack for all we know. And therefore not worth it with the current price of gas.

Exactly, you guys are just hearing telecaster and assuming the guys giving him a the deal of the century. I know musicians are spontaneous, and have poor money skills, but this guy is obviously in a hard situation and trying to be responsible. TS ask the guy for a headstock picture front and back if you can, and post it here, or at least what you see. I'd hate for you to pay to get this and it be a squier affinity butterscotch tele. A good guitar, but not worth running after if money is tight.
^+1

The Jeff Beck pic way up there has him holding an Esquire (as he's accustomed to doing), not a Tele.
interesting that a couple of the pro's preferred walnut teles. hmmm....
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Robchappers
I personally think that a good Tele is one of the best guitars ever made! I spent the first four years of my playing life on a Tele and loved every second ;-)

Wow, you were a talented child!
Thanks for all the inputs y'all With gas prices here, in my F-250 'bout 300 bucks for the ride, guarantee shipping wants 100 + insurance ( live kinda back in da woods, ok actually way back in da woods) I've seen pics it's not a squier, But I got him to confess the pups are crap. think I'm gonna pass this one up.
It would still be worth the $100 plus to get it shipped to you. Fender Teles (even Squier CV50 Teles) are very versatile guitars and an excellent compliment to your LP and Strat.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Page 1 of 2