I have a slight interest in trading my 5150 II to one of my friends for his Marshall DSL100.

Thoughts?

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
I might be wrong on pricing - but you could probably sell that for more, and buy a used DSL100 on CList for like $600?
i love the dsl100, and cantschred might be accurate on that one, you might want to check the going rate for the 5150, because you don't want to make the trade only to find out your friend made out on the deal, might be some cash coming your way. why the change though?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
This is the second 5150/6505 I've owned. (previously a 6505+)
I don't really care about making any money on it. My friend is in a metal band and depends a lot on preamp gain. I'm in a progressive hardcore band. Most of my tone is from my pedals. I prefer lower preamp gain, and really cranking the volume to get a more natural overdrive, then I boost it with a tube screamer. I literally have my preamp gain at 3 on my 5150 II, and that's at live volumes.

I guess maybe I just want something different, and lately have been more appeased by EL34's and a more british tone. Plus I do a lot of ambient clean stuff, and prefer Marshall cleans over the Peavey's.

I do love my 5150, but my taste has evolved past what it can do.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
^sounds like you've already made up your mind.

I mean if the marshall does your style of music better, and you like the way it sounds, go for it. Not really any point in keeping an amp that doesn't fit.
i'd say the value on both used is about the same give or take the condition of both amps.

and it sounds like the dsl is better suited to your current needs.

i'd do it in your situation.

i mean, it's a lot less risky when you are dealing with a friend and can test everything. a lot less risky.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yeah, I mean...we share the same practice space haha. He's just going to let my use the Marshall for band practice this week.

So can anyone give me their opinions on how the tones between the two amps differ? I've never played a DSL100, just a JCM800 and 900.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
I was just going to type - go with what your ears tell you. If you like the DSL then trade him. They are close enough in value to make it a strait across deal.

Then I read you have not played it yet

Dude, whatever you do do not make this decision based on what we say. Personally I think the DSL is fine, especially for what you play, but they are much different than the 800/900 and are also a bit touchy or finicky? Some buttons don't always work and the pots get kinda goofy. If you are OK with all the little QC issues I always seem to find - then you'll be fine.

Short answer - play the amp and make your own decision.
i assumed you played it because it's your buds.

yea try first like 311 said. always.

good luck.

it's a lot closer to a 900 than an 800 is my opinion.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
haha of course. I would never make a purchase or trade simply by other people's opinions.

and no, I've only heard his a few times. never got a chance to really get the feel of it and how it responds to articulation and harmonics.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
Last edited by New_Crisis at Apr 27, 2011,
Can anyone explain to me, how the EFX loop works on the DSL100? is it just constantly on?

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
I tried the DSL2000 last night for the first time. not so sure about it yet lol. Love the cleans, but the overdrive and distortion tones haven't won me over quite yet. me and my friend are going to swap amps for a week and i'll really get a chance to mess with it and see its its for me.

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack