Page 1 of 2
Feel like a complete idiot for posting this, but its my last resort

Brand new to this trem, came to me in drop C or something and I wanted to try and put it into standard tuning, used an internet guide telling me to use the method tune - (E-E-B-A-G-D) and keep doing until its in tune..

But I kept finding the trem was really high and I'd start from scratch, getting really frustrated after a while..

Now I've lost two high E strings to it and really lost and completely gutted I cant give a play!

Abuse here is accepted as I have been a complete retard about it.
You need to know that every time you change tunings or string gauges, you're going to have to re-setup the bridge by adjusting the strings in the back.

In order for a floating trem to stay in tune, the tension of the strings has to equal the tension of the springs. When their tensions are equal, the bridge will always return to the same spot thus keeping it in tune.

Now by "high", do you mean the strings are pulling the bridge up out if the body? If so, loosen the strings (not completely loose, just lessen their tension) until the bridge is back to close being parallel, then turn the screws in the back of the guitar clockwise to add tension to the bridge. This will pull the bridge into the body so when you tighten the strings again by tuning up, the bridge will be closer to parallel.

Basically just remember that if the bridge is being pulled up, the springs need more tension, and if it is being pulled into the guitar, they need less tension. And that the bridge needs to be parallel.

Quote by pedersbr
You have to have floyd rose tremelos professionally recalibrated when you change the tunings, if not the the bridge will be super high when you go from say Drop C - Standard and super low when you go from standard-Drop C

Calibrated makes it sound so difficult. Anyone can do it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Apr 27, 2011,
You have to have floyd rose tremelos professionally recalibrated when you change the tunings, if not the the bridge will be super high when you go from say Drop C - Standard and super low when you go from standard-Drop C
You're going to have to adjust the springs.... and possibly the neck.

If you got it in drop C and want to tune to stadard, the string tension on the bridge will be totallt different in standard, so it will cause the bridge to rise. Adjust the spring claw until the bridge is level, and that'll get you on the right track. You may also need a truss rod adjustment depending on how the neck reacts to different tuning.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Okay - Thanks for this, I'll give it another shot and tighten the springs...

Any explanation to why my High E snapped twice?
Quote by StillCantPlay
Okay - Thanks for this, I'll give it another shot and tighten the springs...

Any explanation to why my High E snapped twice?

Where did it snap?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
when i had my EDGE III trem it always snapped my strings when i was trying to tune it. with my floyd it snapped one time and i think that was because my strings i had were old because they were my backup set. The string just wouldnt change pitch and it got tighter and tighter and finally snapped. ALSO i tune the strings back and forth. like, E then the A then the D then the E then the A and then the G and so on until i get to the High E and i make some small adjustments and then fine adjustments with the fine tuners. Sorry if someone posted this earlier im at school and i dont have the time to read it, thought id try and help
What a truly horrible experience, tried 4 times now, tightening the springs each time and it's still very high and the strings are just never even close to being in tune when I repeat the process :/
Here is what I do to make adjusting floating trems a lot easier. I block the trem off using a piece of wood or if its available a tremolono. Make sure that when its blocked that the trem is perfectly parallel to the the body. Then I tune the guitar, once I have achieved the tuning I want I remove the block from the bridge and adjust the springs until the trem is parallel with the body again. Then do some fine tuning and tighting everything up. I can usually do a restringing in just a few minutes *not including the time needed to stretch out new strings*.
Hmm, I try that and my trem is bulging out stupidly, and the springs are almost as tight as possible?
Yeah, sounds like you need to block the trem so it stays level while you put strings on it and get them fairly tuned up. Then like darkdevil said, pop the blocks out, and adjust the spring claw until the bridge goes back level. If the bridge is being pulled towards the neck, you'll have to tighten the spring claw to add spring tension to make it level again.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
And if you are having an issue where the trem is still popping out of the body while the claw is tightend all the way down then you just need to add a spring to it.
Well, I have all 6 strings on it at the moment and the high E on it seems to be coping pretty well with me constantly attempting to tune it..

My only problem is - The guide's in tuning for a Floyd Rose say I need to keep tuning the strings using a certain combination, about 3 to 4 times over, but by the time I reach 3 it's bulging out of the cavity AND the springs at the back are very tight, what is my next step?

Want to thank everyone for the contribution by the way, really appreciate this !
When all else fails, just take it to a shop and have it set up for $50 bucks or so.....
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Quote by ThrashMetal014
When all else fails, just take it to a shop and have it set up for $50 bucks or so.....

This.

Dude, if you just keep failing at it, don't bother anymore, take it to a tech and let him do the job. It's not cheap, but it's better than to keep trying without good results.
I have no sig
Mr Winters, It's what I'm going to do, I'm going to take it down soon, has been stressful!

And I'm using 9's?
Sorry Jaime,

Its setup in B std with 10s iirc.

You need to read the sticky at the top and you need to loosen the tension on the three springs, though there should be a forth in the case, if you need it.

It sounds like your doing things right, but you just need to balance the trem correctly, if your having that much hassle I would say take it to a pro and get them to help you do it. The edge is a great trem and if you get it setup properly you should never have an issue with it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks Tom!

I just ordered two sets of 9's and will attempt to re-string it when they come!!

I'll try this out myself, then I'll go to a pro..

Stressful evening!.. but there's only one way to learn I guess
FOLLOW THE DAMN MANUAL!!!!!this is my advice, if you have any problem, biga29 is giving good advise. There are also some videos on youtube (just write floyd rose tuning or the name of your trem (ex: ibanez edge III)).
well, i play in standard tuning and my trem works perfectly...

i guess you'd have to get it recalibrated somewhere....for a cost lol
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
As a guy who is going to be getting a trem soon, at what tuning would a "recalibration" be needed? I usually play in Eb to Drop C#

Also TS, sorry to hear your trem is eating your strings alive good luck with your next set
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
^^Well I find that if I go from standard to drop D I can manage to get off without adjusting any springs, just. But if you are switching between Eb and C# you will definetly need to recalibrate everytime. However after doing it a few times it becomes a breeze to do.
So even just dropping the low Eb to C# will require recalibration?
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
Sorry I got muddled up with your tunings! Dropping it from standard to Eb you would need to calibrate it. However I reckon changing from Eb to C# you would get off with. Sorry about the confusion.
Okay, I was gonna say, it's not much of a difference. Where can one see how to do said recalibration?
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by rgrockr

Watch my stream?
I've got an issue of Total Guitar magazine which had it all explained well enough for me to do. However im sure there would be some good instructionals on youtube.
Thanks guys, I've organised to take it to an old friend who has a few guitars with FR's and knows what he's doing a lot more than me, see where I go from there!

Also, Lefthandedkid.. I'm curious to what 'TS' stands for, I've seen it before and I've Google'd it but no luck, please enlighten me ..

Quote by lefthandedkid

Also TS, sorry to hear your trem is eating your strings alive good luck with your next set
TS = thread starter
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by rgrockr

Watch my stream?
Quote by Steve635z
I've got an issue of Total Guitar magazine which had it all explained well enough for me to do. However im sure there would be some good instructionals on youtube.

What do you mean re-calibrate? Are you talking about something different than just adjusting the springs?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Ooooh, strings arrive in record time and in just enough time to allow me to go and see a 'pro' about it!!

The thought of being able to have a play is mind-blowingly exciting for me right now!!
It's honestly not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. You just need to adjust the springs in the back.

But really, read the sticky. It's EXTREMELY helpful.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Page 1 of 2