Hey, I'm just a little confused and was wondering if anyone had an experience like this. One of my friends has a PSN account but it wasn't linked to a credit card. However, his name, email address, and password were taken. When he logged onto Facebook he got the message:

"Your Facebook account was recently logged into from a computer, mobile device or other location you've never used before. For your protection, we've temporarily locked your account until you can review this activity and make sure no one is using your account without your permission."

So he followed the instructions to reset the password through his email account. How would Facebook know that a hacker used his account if the hacker just signed on using his info?
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Long story short: different IPs.

Could be he himself signing in from somewhere else (school, uni, work, mobile).

~
†h¥ ÅbØmInÅb£€ §Øu£§ §HÅ£† iN¢In€®Å†€ In h€ÅV€N, wHi£€ pÅnD€MØNiUm'§ VØ£i†iØn §HÅ£† g®ÅN† u§ PØW€®!
It said that his account was accessed from a location he's never used before. Makes sense?

/thread
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
They don't know. As for them locking his account, that's stupid. Millions of students log into Facebook from campus computers and you'd think all their accounts would be locked the first time.
Quote by Ticket48

So he followed the instructions to reset the password through his email account. How would Facebook know that a hacker used his account if the hacker just signed on using his info?

Because the person tried to log in to the account from another location.
It happened to me once, I'm in Canada, and someone tried to log-in to my account from a computer located in California, as soon as facebook sees this, it blocks the account.
always make a tl:dr version. it saves lives.

this just seems like confirmation bias to me, he could've just reset his router once and had different IPs or went on from his phone.

also, you probably just need a fog machine.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I've had to log into Facebook from several different places; it shows you pictures of friends and asks you to identify them to verify your identity. So someone who doesn't know you or your friends would fail the test and get the account locked.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by metaldud536
They don't know. As for them locking his account, that's stupid. Millions of students log into Facebook from campus computers and you'd think all their accounts would be locked the first time.

Yeah, that's why it seemed weird to me.

Quote by rgrockr
I've had to log into Facebook from several different places; it shows you pictures of friends and asks you to identify them to verify your identity. So someone who doesn't know you or your friends would fail the test and get the account locked.

Ah, gotcha. I didn't know that. I was thinking that if he got a new computer or moved somewhere else he could just sign in no problem. So the hacker wouldn't run into any issues either.

Thanks for the help.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join