I'm new here and not sure if this is the right forum if not i guess i can delete it, but anyway. I have been playing acoustic guitar for about 4-5 months now, and i want a electric (specifically a tele). But for a 15 y.o lefty my cash and selections are limited. MIM fender teles cost 500 bucks, so i started looking around and found out about rondo music and saw the have a tele copy for $119 and from the you tube vids i saw they seem pretty good, aside from that fugly headstock. So what do you guys think should i get one or save up and get the real deal.
the agile guitars are very good quality for a great price. I am not to sure about the sx style I think those are the lower quality of the spectrum of the guitars found at rondo. Have you looked at the Squier teles. depends on your budget, if you are decent enough and don't see yourself stopping then save up some money and buy the mim or a decent agile and have a blast.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I have played both a Squier Affininity tele and an SX STL Tele and in my honest opinion I enjoyed the Squier more.

One of the biggest factors that I disliked about the SX was the neck was coated with a thick layer of polyurethane - something I'm not a fan of.

Just my opinion though.

I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by bobafettacheese
the agile guitars are very good quality for a great price. I am not to sure about the sx style I think those are the lower quality of the spectrum of the guitars found at rondo. Have you looked at the Squier teles. depends on your budget, if you are decent enough and don't see yourself stopping then save up some money and buy the mim or a decent agile and have a blast.

Squier doesn't make left handed teles
so it's either sx or fender but i'm going to buy a fender tele once i get the funds
this one http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0145122302
not sure if i should wait or get the sx now
I have owned SX guitars and the necks are thicker than Squier necks but overall in quality they are pretty much on par with Squiers. They are great practice/starter guitars and with sites like Guitarfetish.com Guitarheads.net and dragonfireguitars.com you can mod the hell out of them cheaply as you get better. Id get the SX now since its only $119 and its worth every penny.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Apr 27, 2011,
I've bought 2 sx guitars, both teles and each time I ended up sending them back. It's just the build quality was not that good, some screws were screwed in at an angle, on one of them one of the bridge mounting screws was barely grabbing any wood at all, and the bridge placement was way of on both of them, some of the strings would not intonate. If you want a $120 guitar that you can upgrade i strongly recommend getting a squier bullet(i know it's not a telecaster). YMMV.

added: oops, looks like they don't make left handed bullets, sorry. I thought they did for some reason...
Last edited by Rice_Pilot at Apr 27, 2011,
i had one sx but i dont know which model. it was awful. i bought squier bullet and it is awesome
Quote by Rice_Pilot
I've bought 2 sx guitars, both teles and each time I ended up sending them back. It's just the build quality was not that good, some screws were screwed in at an angle, on one of them one of the bridge mounting screws was barely grabbing any wood at all, and the bridge placement was way of on both of them, some of the strings would not intonate.

Sounds like you have had some pretty bad luck with SX Guitars, I never had this issue with an SX though I have had a Douglas with a warped neck. But thats the only downside to SX and Douglas guitars is that even though they are great for the price the Quality Control can be pretty Hit and Miss at times. Luckily if this is the issue Kurt is usually quick to replace the guitars and refund the shipping.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Sounds like you have had some pretty bad luck with SX Guitars, I never had this issue with an SX though I have had a Douglas with a warped neck. But thats the only downside to SX and Douglas guitars is that even though they are great for the price the Quality Control can be pretty Hit and Miss at times. Luckily if this is the issue Kurt is usually quick to replace the guitars and refund the shipping.

Most likely I had bad luck. I mean, all that rave about sx must be there for a reason But I wouldn't buy another sx myself.
I actually just got in an SX Tele yesterday night and I absoluty ADORE it. I got the 149.95$ one ( http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianhsgn.html ).

Planning on writing a review thread in a day or two once exams are done but heres the basics:

The finish is beautiful. Its pretty much flawless, the inside of the F hole is a bit rough but well, who see's that?. The pickguard is also absolutely incredible to look at. Theyve also gone away from the orange spray tan necks that everyone hated, its a beautiful maple colour.

The neck plays absolutely fantastic, its a modern 13" as opposed to the vintage 7.5" and it feels great. I definitely prefer the playability of it compared to any MIM Fenders ive played.

Hardware is surprisingly good, I'd heard id have to do alot of modding but the tuners are alot better than I was expecting and hold tune well even on just day 2, the knobs and input jack are both fantastic aswell. Only issue is I cant seem to get the pickup selector cap to actually stay on the switch.

the pickups themselves are also a nice surprise, the bridge pup in particular sounds great and has a really nice tele sound to it, the middle position is also really quite good. The neck pup however seems a bit, lacking to me, I'ts just not bright enough in my opinion.

Only thing I think ill be in a rush to swap out is the nut. It definitely has to go.

Other than that, the guitar overall is definitely worth what i paid for it, on par with my currentl Limited Edition Epiphone Les Paul (much more expensive than the tele) in both terms of playability and looks. Can't really compare sound cause my les paul has DiMarzio Evos and the tele has it's stock single coils so, they arent meant to compare.

EDIT: I'd say go for it. I'm beyond pleased with mine and I've had great customer service from Kurt at Rondo.

Also: watch the couriers, by the looks of the case mine came in, they threw it at a wall. the box was demolished so thank god for the case.

Oh! Also worth mentioning though I mightve just been lucky: The guitar was properly set up out of the box. It seems like I could problably get the action a bit lower but it plays really nice as is, though the strings it came with are really light guage which im not used to.
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Last edited by daryldom at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by Rice_Pilot
I've bought 2 sx guitars, both teles and each time I ended up sending them back. It's just the build quality was not that good, some screws were screwed in at an angle, on one of them one of the bridge mounting screws was barely grabbing any wood at all, and the bridge placement was way of on both of them, some of the strings would not intonate. If you want a $120 guitar that you can upgrade i strongly recommend getting a squier bullet(i know it's not a telecaster). YMMV.

added: oops, looks like they don't make left handed bullets, sorry. I thought they did for some reason...

This...You can always become the next Hendrix seeing as they only make rightys.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
I had an Agile 3000 all mahogany all black with chrome. Made pretty good and played well. I had one flaw and that was that the nut slot wasn't cut right making one side higher than the other. I got my dremel and squared the slot and made the nut lower for good action. I liked the guitar but after 3 years it was getting hard to play and I found that the neck warped. Bummed me out because I had EMG 81-60 with EXG and Afterburner in it and that was my rocking guitar. I even dressed the frets for close action.

I also had an SX Mockingbird and it really needed work. I'm a guitar techie so no problem and went to work. One thing is that the frets were awful like they haven't dressed 'em. They were like jumbo jumbos and the nut width were 1 3/4" instead of 1 5/8" as they advertised. I rather liked it and I dressed the frets down to medium jumbos. I lowered the action and the bridge bottomed so I didn't get quite get it where I wanted it but it played good. Got one dead spot on the fretboard I can't do anything with. IIRC it was the 2nd or 3rd string around 9th-10th fret. Surprisingly the ceramic pups sounded good.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by daryldom
I actually just got in an SX Tele yesterday night and I absoluty ADORE it. I got the 149.95$ one ( http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianhsgn.html ).

Planning on writing a review thread in a day or two once exams are done but heres the basics:

The finish is beautiful. Its pretty much flawless, the inside of the F hole is a bit rough but well, who see's that?. The pickguard is also absolutely incredible to look at. Theyve also gone away from the orange spray tan necks that everyone hated, its a beautiful maple colour.

The neck plays absolutely fantastic, its a modern 13" as opposed to the vintage 7.5" and it feels great. I definitely prefer the playability of it compared to any MIM Fenders ive played.

Hardware is surprisingly good, I'd heard id have to do alot of modding but the tuners are alot better than I was expecting and hold tune well even on just day 2, the knobs and input jack are both fantastic aswell. Only issue is I cant seem to get the pickup selector cap to actually stay on the switch.

the pickups themselves are also a nice surprise, the bridge pup in particular sounds great and has a really nice tele sound to it, the middle position is also really quite good. The neck pup however seems a bit, lacking to me, I'ts just not bright enough in my opinion.

Only thing I think ill be in a rush to swap out is the nut. It definitely has to go.

Other than that, the guitar overall is definitely worth what i paid for it, on par with my currentl Limited Edition Epiphone Les Paul (much more expensive than the tele) in both terms of playability and looks. Can't really compare sound cause my les paul has DiMarzio Evos and the tele has it's stock single coils so, they arent meant to compare.

EDIT: I'd say go for it. I'm beyond pleased with mine and I've had great customer service from Kurt at Rondo.

Also: watch the couriers, by the looks of the case mine came in, they threw it at a wall. the box was demolished so thank god for the case.

Oh! Also worth mentioning though I mightve just been lucky: The guitar was properly set up out of the box. It seems like I could problably get the action a bit lower but it plays really nice as is, though the strings it came with are really light guage which im not used to.

well, i'm sold...
this http://www.rondomusic.com/product4143.html was the one i wanted, and i was planing on doing some cosmetic changes on it anyway. i was going to re-paint it sort of a pale yellow and put on some new hardware
Quote by nitestick
This...You can always become the next Hendrix seeing as they only make rightys.
well since i'm black, and always loved the look of upside down strats that could work but i can't even hold a candle to hendrix
Quote by omentremor
SX - not a fan. They play, feel and sound like very cheap guitard

Really? How old was the one you owned/played?

I really didn't expect much for the 150$ I paid for my Semi-Hollow tele but I'm blown away. It plays just as good as my LP, which I've always loved, and better than the MIM Strats I've played. Did I just like, luck out or something?

EDIT: Here TS, this is the video that convinced me to order atleast to see. Listen and see if you like the tones, the related videos also will problably have a tele a bit closer to what your looking at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69-tkYQATs

Judging from this thread though it looks like quality control is really hit or miss so you can either get really nice, or well, not? Not too sure, I've only ordered the one so far.
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Last edited by daryldom at Apr 27, 2011,
I have an SX strat. It's a great guitar! All these negative reviews are surprising to me. I guess I just got lucky... I say give one a try.
Well, I never added my own opinion regarding SX. I've played on 2-3 of their strat knock offs. 1 was pretty decent, it belonged to my mate's sister, however I suspect that had a proper setup done by his mother as she's been gigging for most of her life. The other 2 were pretty poor but in part I think it was due to neglect.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212