I believe I have been writing my 7th chords out wrong. For example, if I want to write a C 7th chords I would always put C7, but I think that might be a completely different chord based on some stuff I've been reading in the forums, so...

1. Am I writing 7th chords wrong?

2. How would you write a 7th chord?

3. What exactly is a C7 chord?
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

A seventh chord (where the seventh note is 1 tone or two frets lower than the octave) is written C7.

so yes, you are correct.
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
Cmaj7 is the I, III, V and VII out of the major scale (1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th)

C7 is a dominant chord and contains the I, III and VII of the scale (1st, 3rd and 7th)

Make sense?
Quote by PanamaJack666
Cmaj7 is the I, III, V and VII out of the major scale (1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th)

C7 is a dominant chord and contains the I, III and VII of the scale (1st, 3rd and 7th)

Make sense?

That's incorrect. A maj7 has 1 3 5 7. A dom7 has 1 3 5 b7.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Sorry, ignore me last post!

C7 is like a Cmaj7 but with a flat 7th

Cmaj7 (1, 3, 5, 7)
C7 (1, 3, 5, b7)

Sorry bout before, too much booze! Chord confusion!
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
That's incorrect. A maj7 has 1 3 5 7. A dom7 has 1 3 5 b7.

Yeah sorry, too much booze!
alright thanks everyone, it makes sense now
~ The Mad Hatter

Quote by nbur4556
I believe I have been writing my 7th chords out wrong. For example, if I want to write a C 7th chords I would always put C7, but I think that might be a completely different chord based on some stuff I've been reading in the forums, so...

1. Am I writing 7th chords wrong?

2. How would you write a 7th chord?

3. What exactly is a C7 chord?

It depends upon the function of that chord as to whether you are writing them wrong. For instance if C Major is your key and you write a C7, generally the expectation would be at the I position it would be a Maj7 not a Dom (X7) chord. The same answer goes for how you'd write a 7th, as I said most of the time function dictates what 7th you'd use, especially in a Diatonic Key.

A C7 is also known as a C Dominant 7th, most of the time you'd see this as resolving to F Major, and is the V7 in the key of F. It's intervallic formula is 1 3 5 b7.

Best,

Sean
C7 is a dominant seventh, meaning it is a major triand with a minor seventh.
Cmaj7 is a major triad with a major 7.
Cmin7 is a minor triad witha minor triad.
Those are the most mused ones.
To know wheter its a minor seventh or major seventh you just take the root and go down 1 half step if that isn't the tone then a whole step will be your minor seventh.
Cut and Paste from a post I made a while back and have recycled a few times in a other threads

It starts briefly with how to construct triads then goes through the various seventh chords
--------------

First there are your basic triads. These are made by "stacking" major or minor thirds.

Stacking thirds is easy...

Thus there are four basic triads...

Maj 3rd + Maj 3rd = Augmented Triad (1 3 #5)
Maj 3rd + min 3rd = Major Triad (1 3 5)
min 3rd + Maj 3rd = minor Triad (1 b3 5)
min 3rd + min 3rd = diminished Triad (1 b3 b5)

Seventh Chords
To get a seventh chord you then stack another major or minor third on top of the fifth of each of these basic triads to get a seventh chord.

Note that we use whatever kind of fifth we have in our basic triad and add the major or minor third from there. So if we have a perfect fifth we might add a major 3rd the result will be a major 7 interval from the root. If it is a diminished triad with a ♭5 and we add a major third to this we will end up with a minor 7th from the root.

So to get our various seventh chords we go through each of the four basic triads and stack a third on top.

Here are the various seventh chords built using different triads as a base:

Sevenths built from Augmented Triads

Aug Triad + Maj 3rd = Augmented Triad (a Major 3rd on top of a #5 will give a #7. Since the #7 is enharmonic with the octave of the root the result is a doubling of the root note and it's still just an augmented triad. (1 3 #5 #7 is enharmonic with 1 3 #5 8).

Aug Triad + min 3rd = Augmented Major Seventh, or Maj7#5 (1 3 #5 7)

Sevenths built from Major Triads

Major Triad + Major 3rd = Major 7th chord (1 3 5 7) - written as Cmaj7

Major Triad + min 3rd = Dominant 7 (1 3 5 b7) - written simply as C7

Sevenths built from Minor Triad

Minor Triad + Major 3rd = minor Major 7 (1 b3 5 7) - written as Cm/Maj7

Minor Triad + min 3rd = minor 7 (1 b3 5 b7) - written as Cm7

Sevenths built from Diminished Triad

Diminished Triad + Maj 3rd = half diminished 7th or minor 7 flat five (1 b3 b5 b7) - written as either CØ7 or more commonly Cm7b5

Diminished Triad + min 3rd = diminished 7th (1 b3 b5 bb7) - Cdim7 or Cᴼ7

These are the basic triads and seventh chords built from "Tertian Harmony" which means to use maj and min thirds for construction.

Other Seventh Chords
There are also some seventh chords that are altered versions of these chords. That is, one or more notes have been altered and the result is that the intervals between each note are not ALL major or minor thirds, but they are still considered seventh chords.

Dominant seventh sharp five = 1 3 #5 b7 = C7#5 - An augmented triad with a minor seventh.

a diminished/major seventh = 1 b3 b5 7 = Cdim/Maj7 or Cm/Maj7b5 diminished triad with a major seventh.

Dominant seventh flat five = 1 3 b5 b7 = C7♭5

Major seventh flat five = 1 3 b5 7 = CMaj7♭5

Soooo....

That gives a total of eleven different seventh chords.

Here they are again
Seven "Tertian" Seventh Chords
1. Major seventh = 1 3 5 7 e.g. CMaj7
2. Dominant seventh = 1 3 5 b7 e.g. C7
3. Minor seventh = 1 b3 5 b7 e.g. Cm7
4. minor/major seventh = 1 b3 5 7 e.g. Cm/Maj7
5. Half diminished seventh = 1 b3 b5 b7 e.g. Cm7♭5
6. Fully diminished seventh = 1 b3 b5 bb7 e.g. C〬7
7. Augmented Maj7 = 1 3 #5 7 (aka maj7#5) CMaj7♯5

plus Four "Altered" Seventh Chords
8. Dominant seventh sharp 5 = 1 3 #5 b7 e.g. C7♯5
9. Diminished major seventh = 1 b3 b5 7 e.g. Cm/Maj7♭5 or Cdim/Maj7
10. Dominant seventh flat 5 = 1 3 b5 b7 e.g. C7♭5
11. Major seventh flat 5 = 1 3 b5 7 e.g. CMaj7♭5

I'm pretty sure that's all of them.
Hope it helps.
--------End Cut and Paste job------------

Even though you have already said you have it.

A tip - when naming chords (and only when naming chords) the triad is assumed major unless otherwise noted and the 7th is assumed minor unless otherwise noted. Thus if you see Major or Maj then it is referring to the seventh since the triad is already major by default.

If you see minor in the name (m) then it is referring to the triad because the 7th is already assumed minor by default. (The 7 is only minor by default when used in chord names. Outside that 7 always refers to a major seven unless noted otherwise).

Also: There other altered chords which are extended chords in which the 9th has been altered. But I've only gone as far a the 7th chords and haven't included extended chords or sus chords which you can also have C7sus4 for example.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Apr 29, 2011,
Thanks for putting in all that time 20 Tigers, that helps a ton!
~ The Mad Hatter

Quote by nbur4556
Thanks for putting in all that time 20 Tigers, that helps a ton!

No worries it really took heaps of time about 12 or 18 months ago the first time I wrote it out. Since then I've just copied and pasted when people ask about how seventh chords work or how chord construction works. So it only takes me a few minutes to find it copy and paste. But I'm glad it helped.

Quote by Sean0913
When 20T says the 7th is Minor, he is referring to it being a b7.

Sean

that's right a minor seventh interval from the root, does it not read right?
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by 20Tigers
that's right a minor seventh interval from the root, does it not read right?

I think it reads right, I think he just said it to avoid any confusion