Hi! I'm Spanish, so sorry for my English.

I want to learn to play electric guitar, but I was advised to start with the acoustic guitar.

WHAT DO YOU think?

look at this video! PLEEASE!! And tell me what do you think!

thaaaaaaaanks!!!!
I'll suggest you to go for an acoustic.The action on the acoustic is higher,that means you will have to exert a little bit of more force.This is helpful when you progress to an electric,since you will already have a lot of practice and speed due to the acoustic.
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
Well, I'm a begineer (I started only 10 weeks ago); and I want to play metal and rock (so mainly electric guitar).
But I think that classic guitar is good to start, I bought one for 45 €; I can play on it all the stuff I actually have to learn.

I think the classic is good because it's cheap to start (i think a cheap electric guitar+amp is about 150 €; in Italy, at least) and it's good enought to learn basic stuff.
Agree with what simba said too. I tried a squire of a friend of mine and it looked easier to play than my classic.

Obiously, it' only the opinion of a beginner.
Last edited by Michele_R at Apr 27, 2011,
To be honest it really depends on what you enjoy listening to and what you want to play.
If you like Pantera then you're not exactly going to want to learn wonderwall on acoustic.
And likewise if you enjoy listening to Chris Isakk then you won't want to learn Raining Blood on a B.C Rich.

Whatever you enjoy listening to on what instrument, learn it. Don't limit yourself to others opinions.

Although if you want to play the blues or perhaps later, jazz, then experiment with both. Do that anyway and see which you prefer the sound of and what feels more comfortable.
I agree with Rice, I'd suggest the one you want more. I started on an electric, being already 18 years old. Developed speed and power enough that I don't have to use light strings anymore. So I don't really see any reason in terms of developing speed and power on an acoustic more than on the electric. But if you want to first learn chords and stuff like that, go for the acoustic.
What Michele_R said, I don't think classical would be a good start if you're not into that much classical stuff, as steel-stringed acoustics are much better for beginner stuff since they've become better over the last few years.
However, if you want to play quietly, like if your parents do mind about playing loud late, you should go for an electric because you can turn the amplifier off or use earphones. Acoustics can be really loud.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by Sakke
What Michele_R said, I don't think classical would be a good start if you're not into that much classical stuff, as steel-stringed acoustics are much better for beginner stuff since they've become better over the last few years.

What do you exactly mean with classical stuff?
Sorry for my bad english..

However, if you want to play quietly, like if your parents do mind about playing loud late, you should go for an electric because you can turn the amplifier off or use earphones. Acoustics can be really loud.

Yeah, it's true
Classical guitars tend to be used by performers who play classical music (Beethoven or Mozart, por ejemplo). They're also common in like flamenco and similar styles.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
If you want to play electric play electric. That deformed thing with a hole in the middle(acoustic for you with no imagination) is a totally different instrument then an electric guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Rice_Pilot
If you wonna play electric start on electric.

This, if you start on an acoustic you probably will lose interest because you don't want an acoustic, and tbh acoustic sounds boring.
Quote by jwd724
Classical guitars tend to be used by performers who play classical music (Beethoven or Mozart, por ejemplo). They're also common in like flamenco and similar styles.

Well, you're not forced to play classical music on a classic guitar, In my opinion.

I'm actually learning back in black on it.
First, thank you very much everyone for answering! Not what I expected!
And I think some of you are right, I should start with what I like. If I like the electric guitar is what I really want to play ... should begin with.

The problem is that I have acoustic guitar ... why he said it.
And I'm afraid to buy the electric guitar and then is not what I expected .. :S
I've learned my basic with acoustic. it almost takes two years to get an electric for me... but i'm really glad that i started my playing with acoustic.