Hey I have asked this before but I'm still not all that satisfied with my answers. I was asked to play bass in my churches youth band next year(I mainly play guitar) and I have an idea of what bass to buy but I don't know what amp to buy. I have a few question's. How many watts do I need? We play in a gym and I think they usually plugg the bass amp directly into the pa system through the headphone jack or line out, at least thats what they do for guitars, but I'd rather play it safe and get the wattage that I'd need if I wasn't plugged in. I was thinking maybe like 100 or 150w, but I'm not sure. Also, I'm not sure on the brand to buy. I've heard that Kustom and Acoustic make nice bass amps but I was also wondering about Fender Rumble amps, are they good. My budget is probably around $300 max and I am willing to go used.

Thanks.
Edit:
I just checked guitar center used for my area and they have a used Ampeg BA115 instock for $250, is that a good deal and is it loud enough?
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
Last edited by gtrzrule4 at Apr 27, 2011,
The usual benchmark when it comes to wattage is to aim for around 200w+ if you're gigging, although there are other factors to consider.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Acoustic B200 combo. It's 200 watts with a 1x15, and its only a tad bit over your budget at $350 new: http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Bass/Bass-Amplifiers-Effects/Bass-Amplifiers/Bass-Combo-Amps/Solid-State-Combo-Bass-Amps/B200-200W-1x15-Bass-Combo.site1prod482902.product
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
@gtrzrule4

Truth be told many amps will serve you well, However I personally am not a fan of the new Fender rumbles.
The Ampeg that you listed would work well as would any Gallien-Krueger.

We can offer up amps all day, but if they don't match the sound YOU'RE looking for then theres no point.
You have to test drive these bad boys and see what would fit your needs.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by Alucard817
@gtrzrule4

Truth be told many amps will serve you well, However I personally am not a fan of the new Fender rumbles.
The Ampeg that you listed would work well as would any Gallien-Krueger.

We can offer up amps all day, but if they don't match the sound YOU'RE looking for then theres no point.
You have to test drive these bad boys and see what would fit your needs.

Ok thanks next time I get to GC I'll try all of em out and see which one I like best.
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar