Hello everyone,
My band is interested in starting to play gigs, but i cant yet because i have to buy an amp with more wattage. I'm only using a 15 watt line 6 spider III. I'm not lookin for a really great amp but one that would be fine to play small to medium sized gigs. Another thing is that I don't have a ton of money to work with so i cant buy anything like a halfstack or marshall amps or anything like that. How much wattage would you suggest? and should I get an amp that has effects built in or an amp without effcts and just use pedals? Which one would sound better? We play music like a mix between alternative and rock sort of like breaking benjamin. Thank you for your help.
Budget?
New/used?
Genres? (Be more specific)
Current Gear?
Closest Major City?
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Hey mate, first thing i would do is just save up for a great amp, but a lot of the time thats not an option.So if it's not I'd just go down to a music store in your area and tell them what you have and what you are looking for( by the way, if you plan on doing small/medium gigs or even band practice id get an amp around 100w).

For me(because i'm dont have much money) I am using an old 120w combo crate amp that i bought used for $70(from a friend) with a few distortion/fuzz pedals and i can crank it up and it sounds alright, i can get over the drums and it works good at gigs/practice(even though it's nothing compared to a marshall).

In terms of sounding better and effects, I'd go down and try everything out for yourself.

hope that helps at least a little bit(if not someone with more experience will probably come sooner or later)
K well I live near milwaukee. I have a epiphone les paul and a 15 watt line 6 spider III. i really dont care if it's used or not as long as it sounds good. I only have like 300 or 400 i can spend but i still have to save $$ for college so the less the better. I guess you could say we play metal but its not like death metal most of our songs r in drop c it sounds just like breaking benjamin except more defined lead parts and i'm the lead guitarist. I like a lot of distortion but not so much that everything sounds muddy. I mean I still want to people to hear what I'm playing and I think the lead guitar should not have muddy distortion.
Quote by rocknroll radio
Hey mate, first thing i would do is just save up for a great amp, but a lot of the time thats not an option.So if it's not I'd just go down to a music store in your area and tell them what you have and what you are looking for( by the way, if you plan on doing small/medium gigs or even band practice id get an amp around 100w).

For me(because i'm dont have much money) I am using an old 120w combo crate amp that i bought used for $70(from a friend) with a few distortion/fuzz pedals and i can crank it up and it sounds alright, i can get over the drums and it works good at gigs/practice(even though it's nothing compared to a marshall).

In terms of sounding better and effects, I'd go down and try everything out for yourself.

hope that helps at least a little bit(if not someone with more experience will probably come sooner or later)

No. You only need a 30 watt tube amp to gig comfortably. 60 for solid state.

I'd recommend a Jet City JCA20H with matching cab, or wait until the two channel version of the head comes out this year.

A valveking could also do what you want and you can find them for $250 used.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Last edited by Major Sparky at Apr 27, 2011,
Don't forget that Wattage =/= Volume. Low wattage with a high efficiency speaker will be louder than you might expect.
+1 to the 2 posts above me, about 20-30w tube will be fine for most clubs. I'd bump that ss number up to about 100w though.
you could grab yourself a bugera v22 or something of the likes (jet city20 watt) and mic it up if you play live. that is perfectly fine for most scenarios
So If I would do that and just mic my amp with a pa how many watts should be in the pa and should i use a pedal for effects or get an amp with built in effects?
no amp has quality built in effects....besides reverbs. and voxs have great tremolo.

if your going to get anything "modeled" use a multi- FX. those range from crappy, to acceptable, to very good. it all about how much money. if you spend more than so 100 bucks, they will probably give you a good enuogh sound so your ears arent bleeding.

comparatively, new single FX are rarely below 80-100 for ones worth using, about 40-80 used. it gets pricey. i mean you can buy cheap ones, but they suck tone and if they arent metal will break. i would much rather rock a multi - FX than rock substandard pedals. for everyprice point, multiFX are cheaper. i mean a 500 dollar one is still cheaper than 5+ individual pedals with all the pathc cables etc.

well wait. do you mean you will play with other people? if that case you need to get an insutrment mic and mic stand and run the mic line into a mixer/PA channel. then use the PA volume for projection. amp volume is then used for the right amount of tone and stage volume.

so you would bring your amp and mic. you would be at mercy of their PA system. you would need to specify before hand if there were enough channels for your amp. if not, well then you gotta play un-miced. even then, a 20 watt tube cranked up is LOUD. like, way louder than almost any cheapo solid state. for a small gig you could get away unmiced.

if your asking that question in terms of ou buying all this stuff to start a band? well shit dude. if yourgoing from a 15 watt spider to a full gigging band setup, your/your band is going to have to drop about a minimum of 1000 bucks for a band rig depending on your needs. mics, PA, your amp, bla bla bla.
yes i'd recommend the JCA20h...im waiting for the new 2 channel head to come out (as you can probably see in my sig down there
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Well if I wouldn't go through a pa, how many watts would i need an amp to have? And how many watts would u say we would need for a pa that is micing just drums and singing?
Quote by Darkflame
^I've done unmic'd with a 65w Laney SS amp just fine

did you have any headroom left at all?
anyhow, to some degree it depends on the amp and the tones coming out of it. you can get away with less wattage with a more pronounced mids spike, for example.

ts, what's your aversion to micing your amp?
I don't mind micing my amp its just that I figured I had to get a new amp if I would be playing shows. I didn't want to have to be paying a ton of money for a new amp, new pedals, and a bigger pa cuz we have only a 200 watt pa right now. But if I could just mic my amp that would be great cuz I wouldn't need to buy a bigger amp or pedals. If I would mic it, how big would you suggest the pa to be including vocals and drums coming out of it and what kind of mic would i need to mic my amp.
ive got a 65watt fender amp, it is loud enough to play in bars (from experience)
but one time i had to use a 10watt fender amp, which really isnt going to sound good, but mic it up and your fine.
Irons