Since I started playing guitar, I've always picked with my whole arm (keeping my wrist completetly still), up until recently when I was searching techniques to help me pick faster and more accurately. Every single guide I read has said that picking with your wrist is better in pretty much every aspect. So I've been experimenting with a bunch of different picking styles and nothing seems to be getting the job done. I'm still not sure how it's possibly to pick fast with just my wrist moving in a side to side motion, my wrist just does not move that fast. If I use my whole arm, I can pick very fast, but I can't switch strings smoothly. Also when I practice picking with my wrist, my forearm muscle gets tired VERY quickly, and my picking speed is tremendously reduced and my arm locks up. Do I just need to build up that muscle by practicing more or am I just doing it completely wrong?
yes pick with your wrist. When you lock up you won't be able to play as cleanly. Don't worry about playing fast right away. No one is a shredder out of the box. Practice different techniques slowly and build up.
Also when I practice picking with my wrist, my forearm muscle gets tired VERY quickly

Your forearm should be completely relaxed if you really are picking from just the wrist. Sit yourself in front of a mirror, get a video up of Paul Gilbert and try to copy what he's doing (best example I could think of- everything is motionless and relaxed above his wrist).
keep your picking motion really small and tight. Wrest your palm on the strings by the bridge. Start very slow and dont speed up until every thing is clean, smooth and relaxed, and then only speed it up a little bit at a time. And finally, be patient, it will take time.
Quote by SideshowBob180
Your forearm should be completely relaxed if you really are picking from just the wrist. Sit yourself in front of a mirror, get a video up of Paul Gilbert and try to copy what he's doing (best example I could think of- everything is motionless and relaxed above his wrist).

^ exactly - use a mirror to watch your arm/shoulders (and your pick hand). Start out very slow. if you have to... just practice picking only a single note for a whlile until you get the hang of it. Complete relaxation of the arm and shoulders is the first thing you need to make into natural habit.

If you never picked purely from the wrist before... it can be awkward at first. Don't worry about that just keep working at it. It'll come to you.
It's going to take some time I know from experience. I still can't play quite as fast as I used to with bad technique but I have infinitely more control. You will find control>speed and speed will come with time. Why do you think all of the shredders you love so much have all been playing 15+ years? I'm sure they just developed their good technique, speed, and control over night.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.