I recently bought a used acoustic guitar and it came from a guy that smoked (apparrently alot). I'd like to know if there is a safe, effective way to rid the guitar of the smoke smell.
Thanks
fabreeze?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Just get some guitar cleaner with a really heavy smell to it. Clean it alot and maybe keep it by an air purifier or a window if your not worried about the climate.
Also wood pores open up when moist so use one of those little guitar humidifiers before cleaning for maximum effect.

Or take up smoking....
Put a open box of baking soda in the case for a while . It might take awhile and a couple boxes,but I've seen it work. I had a friend that was given a guitar that smelled like mouse piss it took 4 boxes and about a month but it smells better than it did.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Quote by gumbilicious
fabreeze?

thats what i thought too
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by gumbilicious
fabreeze?

I tried that with my bass cab and it just smelled like Febreeze for two days... went back to cigarettes later.

Haven't found a definite solution. A friend of mine, who's a carpenter, said it's pretty hard/nigh impossible to get rid of the cigarette smell, since the nicotine eats it's way into the wood.
Quote by gumbilicious
fabreeze?

I would use this but I am afraid to spray anything on the raw surface of the wood.
What my mother does when we ate fondue or gourmet and the house smells like oil and baked stuff is; she puts a little bowl of vinegar in the living room and the next day the smell is gone.

Maybe put the guitar with a bowl in vinegar in a small room or box/case and that might get out the smell.
Setting it on fire is a quick, cheap, easy and permanent solution.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
small shot of ozium helps a lot.

not sure if it's a permanent fix.

hang one of these in it?

or let it hang out with some strippers and it will smell like cocoa butter and baby oil?
at first i was like wuh...then I was like oh it's an acoustic so you probably don't want to be a real rock star.

ummm google removing cigarette smoke.

I'm sure there are products specially made for that stuff.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
at first i was like wuh...then I was like oh it's an acoustic so you probably don't want to be a real rock star.
ummm google removing cigarette smoke.

I'm sure there are products specially made for that stuff.

What exactly does that mean? And I would hope if I googled it I would find a link to this site with something helpful, not stuff like this or the disrespectful nonsene bubb_tubbs spits out.
Quote by joer526
What exactly does that mean? And I would hope if I googled it I would find a link to this site with something helpful, not stuff like this or the disrespectful nonsene bubb_tubbs spits out.

If you really wanted help, you'd do what an intelligent person would do and consult Google, not a bunch of idiot 16 year olds with Spiders and Epiphones.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
No I just meant that sometimes gear is going to smell like smoke and it has nothing to do with the fact that the owner smoked like a chimney maybe he used it to play out in a time when people could smoke in doors and be awesome.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
If you really wanted help, you'd do what an intelligent person would do and consult Google, not a bunch of idiot 16 year olds with Spiders and Epiphones.

So is it sheer irony that Google led me to this site in the first place?
it's ironic because googling

removing cigarette smoke

does not bring you anywhere near here.

like a black fly in your chardonay

leave it outside for a few hours each day, chuck in an air freshener into the sound hole?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by roaddawg07
Put a open box of baking soda in the case for a while . It might take awhile and a couple boxes,but I've seen it work. I had a friend that was given a guitar that smelled like mouse piss it took 4 boxes and about a month but it smells better than it did.

This is probably one of the few things that could work.

Although hanging a little air freshener thing inside would look badass.

Quote by AcousticMirror

removing cigarette smoke

Yeah man, they should just delete most of the gear forum and put up a notice saying 'you coulda just googled whatever gear question you wanted to ask anyway'.

Defeats the purpose of asking for help in a forum a bit if that's the only reply you can give.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by AcousticMirror

removing cigarette smoke

If you read my post it said "I'd hope googling...." That is stating the same as Zoot that I came to a place I would expect help from people more knowledgeable than me in this particular area.
Long time ago I got a free piano that reeked of cigarette smoke and who knows what else..

Now I don't recommend doing this to an expensive guitar but maybe it will give you some ideas.

I waited for a warm dry day, dismantled as much of the piano as I could and wiped down the entire instrument inside and out with a rag barely damp with a mixture of 50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide. The I sprayed a very fine mist of the peroxide mixture on the parts I couldn't get to with the rag. When it didn't fall apart I did it all again. The piano survived and it was a damn fine smelling piano when I was done.

Good luck.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

SIG OF THE CENTURY
Quote by Zoot Allures
Considering almost every google link when typing in 'removing cigarette smell from guitar' is a link to a forum of some kind , that kinda defeats his argument.

because removing cigarette smoke from a guitar would be different then removing it from umm

a bookshelf?

better tap into that niche guitar only smoke removal market.

failure to use google fail.

piss on/in it. should get rid of the smoke smell

or smoke weed around it
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by AcousticMirror
because removing cigarette smoke from a guitar would be different then removing it from umm

a bookshelf?

better tap into that niche guitar only smoke removal market.

failure to use google fail.

Maybe you could spend some time on that instead of polluting this thread. I'm going to google "How to remove AcousticMirror's useless posts"
Quote by joer526
Maybe you could spend some time on that instead of polluting this thread. I'm going to google "How to remove AcousticMirror's useless posts"

you are so bad at google it's not even funny.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Considering almost every google link when typing in 'removing cigarette smell from guitar' is a link to a forum of some kind , that kinda defeats his argument.

Not really, he'd spare us a new thread and read the old ones instead.

Education AND making people feel stupid.

Birds: 2
Stones: 1

I tell people to look stuff up all the time when I don't want to be bothered IRL.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I tell people to look stuff up all the time when I don't want to be bothered IRL.

man you really are a dick!
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by bubb_tubbs

And if I were as wise as you, I wouldn't be reading this forum to gain knowledge and insight. I could spend all my time making fun of people and spreading my arrogance like you do.

1 bird.
hey i'm still here. how's the googling coming along?

Quote by greeny23
what is an acoustic mirror anyway?

Google it.

Quote by bubb_tubbs

Could probably apply to pretty much every 'what amp' thread tbh, maybe with a 'searchbar' reference though.

In fact, claiming a thread is useless could apply to easily 90% of the threads here, possibly more when you think about the pit too... A forum is never going to be constantly new and original threads or questions, especially not the gear forum on UG which is reflected by the fact that google turns out many similar threads on other guitar forums.

edit: if your definition of 'useless' is 'COULDA GOOGLED THAT ONE, OLOLOLLOLOL' -_-'
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Apr 28, 2011,
Settle down boys.

Now back on topic:

It's leading you by the nose to fulfill its ultimate destiny.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification