Hi, I'm just learning to play guitar and I already know how to play some chords and the song wonderwall, and i just want to know what you guys think is the best pick width for strumming. I've played a few different widths and i can tell you that thin picks are easier to strum with while heavy picks have a more full sound.
which do you think are better for strumming chords, and are there any specific brand picks that are better than others?
i know this is only a small detail and it doesn't really matter so please don't mention that
Go to the store, buy a bunch of different widths and brands, and use them all. See what fits you better. Its all about how you feel is better, honestly
Jim Dunlop makes these white gripped picks (.46 I think) so they are super thin, I use them for strumming (they were recommended by a friend who plays on acoustic). It gives the guitar a nice mellow sound.

As for thick, I don't play a lot of acoustic; the thickest picks I use are the red Jazz IIIs, but they are really small and take some getting used to. You should take a look at the Dunlop gripped picks, they are easy to use and sound great.

As for brands, I've always used Dunlop for their variety, but im sure other brands are just as good.
there is no "best" pick - everyone has their own preferences both in feel and tone. my husband uses 2mm picks, which are heavier than most heavy and extra heavy picks and have no give when you use them. i mostly use my fingers, but i prefer either 2mm big stubbies for bass or various triangle picks with some give for guitar. i used to like dunlop jazz 3's but they're small and harder to hold.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I've found I've wanted thicker and thicker picks as I have grown as a player. I rarely use anything smaller than a 1.0 mm Dunlop now, and I really like the 1.14 mm Dunlops for playing lead.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
I've found I've wanted thicker and thicker picks as I have grown as a player.

same here, although for the first like 5 years i used really thin picks even on electric
I use really thin picks for strumming (Jim Dunlop .38mm) especially when I'm playing stuff like Johnny Cash country. But if I'm going to play leads or fills in with the rhythm, tend to use a medium.
Quote by roamingbard13
I've found I've wanted thicker and thicker picks as I have grown as a player. I rarely use anything smaller than a 1.0 mm Dunlop now, and I really like the 1.14 mm Dunlops for playing lead.

I've had sort of opposite results. Back in my electric days, I played 1.2mm Dunlop Ultex almost exclusively, occassionally pulling out some Jazz IIIs for extensive lead work. These days, I've really become fond of the Tortex yellow (.73mm) for general acoustic work. I like having some flex, but but enough that I can't pound out a bass line from time to time. I've tried playing acoustic with my Ultex and Jazz IIIs and just can't get the response I want from them.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by Kenjisan231
Jim Dunlop makes these white gripped picks (.46 I think) so they are super thin, I use them for strumming (they were recommended by a friend who plays on acoustic). It gives the guitar a nice mellow sound..

I love those picks. And I love having that little grip on my pick. I use it for any general playing and strumming.

Now that I'm getting into a little more lead stuff though, a thicker pick does help.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."