After searching a few times I couldn't seem to find anything about general equipment for an entire band. I have searched google etc. but although answers generally overlap they never are the same. So what equipment is standard for professional live gigs? Let's talk in terms of basic necessities and then extra stuff...also how do you do reverb on things like vocals?

What we have right now is:
Bugera V55HD + Bugera 212Vcab
2 bass guitar combo amps (not sure on all specs range 20-40w is my guess and one runs a guitar probably solid state)
A lot of microphones
Harbinger APS15 15" Powered PA Speaker
Drum set
guitars

Typically its 3guitars (one is bass) then drums and vocals

we want to mic everyone for vocals and we might change one guitar for a keyboard every once in a while. so I just would like to know what we will need to do live gigs and also what we could use later on

We are looking to play smaller gigs and work our way up...just looking for a starting place, lets make the budget 2grand USD
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Apr 27, 2011,
Every guitarist (bass player included) should have his/her own amp, one that sounds passable and can be consistently heard over the drummer. (Depends on how loud your drummer is, really. The Bugera amp should be about right but your other guitarist should probably upgrade, and a 40-watt bass amp is going to sound kind of weak over a 50-watt valve amp into a 2x12.) You shouldn't need the PA speaker for gigs as any venue will have a PA for vocals and keys, but you should have amps large enough because some small places will only use their PA for vocals and keys.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Try to get another powered speaker to run them in stereo for better sound dispersion. Two powered speakers and a mixing desk is a fairly common set up for small gigs.

Some mixing desks have digital effects, including reverb built in. Some have Aux send jacks which you can use to connect to an external effects unit. You might not need reverb if you play in a really small venue. It'll just make the vocals unclear. Use it sparingly.
Quote by sashki
Try to get another powered speaker to run them in stereo for better sound dispersion. Two powered speakers and a mixing desk is a fairly common set up for small gigs.

Some mixing desks have digital effects, including reverb built in. Some have Aux send jacks which you can use to connect to an external effects unit. You might not need reverb if you play in a really small venue. It'll just make the vocals unclear. Use it sparingly.

Hey thanks for the advice..I have heard that before about the mixing board and an external effects unit, but could you link me to what your talking about, I know what you mean on mixing board, but idk what the effects units are.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Could anyone recommend a good mixer?? I am thinking one with 14+ channels, but I am no millionare. I'll take any suggestions, guy at guitar center said behringer makes a lot of unwanted noise and to go with a mackie..looked up mackie, i like it, but I read some more and some people said go behringer over mackie because mackies aren't built as rugged...advise???
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
So < http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialOrangeMusic > this is a link to out Youtube at. this is our last gig, this is before we had the Bugera stack (for me) im playing through a MFX pedal through that small PA. I'd like to just know what equipment would help improve the sound...but any critique from a musicial stand point is acceptable...I know its not the best sound quality and didn't start very good in the least. so just anything you think would help improve the sound, thanks
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by 801Current
Could anyone recommend a good mixer?? I am thinking one with 14+ channels, but I am no millionare. I'll take any suggestions, guy at guitar center said behringer makes a lot of unwanted noise and to go with a mackie..looked up mackie, i like it, but I read some more and some people said go behringer over mackie because mackies aren't built as rugged...advise???

Behringer are really cheap, but their quality isn't the best. In my experience a lot of behringer equipment is unreliable. I've had behringer items arrive faulty straight from the retailer, which is not a good sign.

Try Yamaha, Peavey or Allen and Heath.

I haven't tried this particular model, but it seems like a decent set of features for the price.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV14-Mixer?sku=631369
Quote by sashki
Behringer are really cheap, but their quality isn't the best. In my experience a lot of behringer equipment is unreliable. I've had behringer items arrive faulty straight from the retailer, which is not a good sign.

Try Yamaha, Peavey or Allen and Heath.

I haven't tried this particular model, but it seems like a decent set of features for the price.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV14-Mixer?sku=631369

so is mackie not a good choice? from what I heard its like a good one, but not top of the line, I looked at that link, I like that price and what you get, but what could those stereo ins be used for? I always see those and never understand them

thanks for that link I'll keep that in mind
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by 801Current
so is mackie not a good choice? from what I heard its like a good one, but not top of the line, I looked at that link, I like that price and what you get, but what could those stereo ins be used for? I always see those and never understand them

thanks for that link I'll keep that in mind

I've never used Mackie desks, but I've used their active speakers (SRM450) which were really good. From what I've heard, Mackie have a pretty good reputation for quality, but they can be a bit expensive.

Stereo ins are used for stuff like keyboards, which often have stereo outputs, and iPods or CD players.

Also, now that I think of it, you should probably get a mixer with 16 or more channels. You said you want a lot of vocal mics, and the drums need a lot of mics as well.
Quote by sashki
I've never used Mackie desks, but I've used their active speakers (SRM450) which were really good. From what I've heard, Mackie have a pretty good reputation for quality, but they can be a bit expensive.

Stereo ins are used for stuff like keyboards, which often have stereo outputs, and iPods or CD players.

Also, now that I think of it, you should probably get a mixer with 16 or more channels. You said you want a lot of vocal mics, and the drums need a lot of mics as well.

That's what I am thinking, and I looked over the Peavey selection and there wasn't anything in the 14-16 channel range, I think that we might be able to make that peavey work but I have to think it over a bit more
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Buying a personal mixing desk should probably be at the bottom of your to-do list...

AS said above, make sure everyone has a good amp - the bass player should have a pretty heavy rig for playing live shows so you can 'feel' the bass as well as hear it. If you must, buy a PA system over your own mixing board - that way no one has to upgrade their gear and you can just mic everyone up..
Quote by greeny23
DI's.

please expand..I have heard someone say that before, but I have no idea what it means...
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by CantShred
Buying a personal mixing desk should probably be at the bottom of your to-do list...

AS said above, make sure everyone has a good amp - the bass player should have a pretty heavy rig for playing live shows so you can 'feel' the bass as well as hear it. If you must, buy a PA system over your own mixing board - that way no one has to upgrade their gear and you can just mic everyone up..

That's what we'll do first, I think I'll have my other guitarist get and amp and then have my bassist take the amp my guitarist uses because it's a decent bass amp then go for a PA....but isn't a mixer needed for the PA??? that's what I thought, because I thought the mixer then doa stereo out and send it through those speakers
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by sashki

looking back over the peavey 14 it has 10 xlr/1/4" lines so take 7 for our vocals and guitars and then three for drum and a stereo left for keyboard later on? idk if my math's right but seems like that could work for a cheap fix for a mixer? let me know of any other ideas
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by 801Current
looking back over the peavey 14 it has 10 xlr/1/4" lines so take 7 for our vocals and guitars and then three for drum and a stereo left for keyboard later on? idk if my math's right but seems like that could work for a cheap fix for a mixer? let me know of any other ideas

Only 3 for the drums?

When you're playing live, you need to mic everything closely. You're surrounded by loud instruments, and each mic needs to pick up only what it's intended to, so you put it really close to the sound source. The problem is, with 3 mics, it'll be hard to find a good balance of sound for the whole kit.

I'm guessing you'll have one on the kick drum, one on the snare, and one overhead for the cymbals and toms?

It'll work, you just might not hear everything as loud and clear as you'd want.
Quote by 801Current
That's what we'll do first, I think I'll have my other guitarist get and amp and then have my bassist take the amp my guitarist uses because it's a decent bass amp then go for a PA....but isn't a mixer needed for the PA??? that's what I thought, because I thought the mixer then doa stereo out and send it through those speakers

Yes - but most PA systems come with a mixing board.
Quote by CantShred
Yes - but most PA systems come with a mixing board.

Thanks for pointing that out haha
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
i am a little confused. TS started off talking about wanting to play out live and equipment he needs for playing out live. now there is talk of 12+ channel mixers and drums needing lots of mics...

sounded like TS was trying to scrape by and there is talk of mackie mixers and then someone chimes with DI's...

you have 2 guitarists, 1 bass player and a drummer and you want mics for vocals.

you will a guitar amp a piece for the guitarists (which you have covered), you would prefer a bass amp for the bass player (as that cheap guitar amp will most likely not even be able to produce the fundamental of a bass signal let alone carry it in a club). if you can't score a bass amp then use the powered PA speaker for amplifying the bass (it'll sound much better that way).

the harbinger seems to have a 3 input mixer built in, so i'd use the 3 inputs for either 2 vocals and the bass or 3 vocals. ideally you'd like to have the bass amp to keep the low end bass from being amplified on the same system as the vocals (it sounds cleaner that way). i'd recommend a bass amp with 2x10's or a 1x15 with 80+ watts (100+ watts would be better as you'll most likely be buying solid state and you want the headroom for bass).

if you wanna use keyboard then free up another input on the PA or get it's own amp. you don't wanna run 3 vocals, bass and keyboard through a single powered speaker (even if you could, it'd sound jumbled)
i wouldn't worry about micing drums because you don't have a PA powerful enough to make that worth anything (or dynamic enough to sound good), i wouldn't worry about the mixer cuz you powered PA has all the inputs it'll be able to handle anyway.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-Yamaha-EMX512SC---S115V-PA-Package-482658-i1397119.gc

This is what my friends and I used in high school. My friend uses it at bar gigs now.

EDIT: Guy above me is right, but since you said small venues, they will either have their own PA or not - so if you need a PA the one I posted is the easiest solution for pretty cheap.
Last edited by CantShred at Apr 27, 2011,
Are you currently gigging?

If not, every band member should have enough gear for practice until you are gigging (sometimes you need to help out the average singer with a powered speaker or something, they seem to never show up with anything). Then it is more cost effective to rent gear then shell out thousands of dollars until you figure out what you might actually need.
what do you guys think of this:< http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV14--Harbinger-APS12-PA-Package?sku=360877 >

also with this package we already own one of the Harbinger PA's and we have a ton of mics...would Guitar Center/MF negotiate any deals considering we would rather cut off a PA and the mics and the shitty cables they come with? also recommend any other PA system 'packages"

EDIT: we might actually already have the Harbinger APS15 PA but it comes with a similar deal < http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV14-Harbinger-APS15-PA-Package?sku=360874 >
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Last edited by 801Current at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by gumbilicious
i am a little confused. TS started off talking about wanting to play out live and equipment he needs for playing out live. now there is talk of 12+ channel mixers and drums needing lots of mics...

sounded like TS was trying to scrape by and there is talk of mackie mixers and then someone chimes with DI's...

you have 2 guitarists, 1 bass player and a drummer and you want mics for vocals.

you will a guitar amp a piece for the guitarists (which you have covered), you would prefer a bass amp for the bass player (as that cheap guitar amp will most likely not even be able to produce the fundamental of a bass signal let alone carry it in a club). if you can't score a bass amp then use the powered PA speaker for amplifying the bass (it'll sound much better that way).

the harbinger seems to have a 3 input mixer built in, so i'd use the 3 inputs for either 2 vocals and the bass or 3 vocals. ideally you'd like to have the bass amp to keep the low end bass from being amplified on the same system as the vocals (it sounds cleaner that way). i'd recommend a bass amp with 2x10's or a 1x15 with 80+ watts (100+ watts would be better as you'll most likely be buying solid state and you want the headroom for bass).

if you wanna use keyboard then free up another input on the PA or get it's own amp. you don't wanna run 3 vocals, bass and keyboard through a single powered speaker (even if you could, it'd sound jumbled)
i wouldn't worry about micing drums because you don't have a PA powerful enough to make that worth anything (or dynamic enough to sound good), i wouldn't worry about the mixer cuz you powered PA has all the inputs it'll be able to handle anyway.

Thanks, I think I was just saying that's what I already got to keep it in mind, and was asking what our next steps should be. I'll keep in mind all the configurations you listed, we do have two bass amps,but missing a guitar amp for the other guitarist

anyway thanks very much, if you could advise what you think we should buy after lets say we add a keyboard through that PA, and the other guitarist and bass guitarist upgrade to legitimate amps

PS we wanted to mic all of our vocals...but we could possibly do like lead then one for drummer and one for the two others considering it will all mostly be backup
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by Quintex
Are you currently gigging?

If not, every band member should have enough gear for practice until you are gigging (sometimes you need to help out the average singer with a powered speaker or something, they seem to never show up with anything). Then it is more cost effective to rent gear then shell out thousands of dollars until you figure out what you might actually need.

We have had a few 'shows' and upcoming 'gig' in May where everything is supplied like PA system drum mics all other mics and its a lot of equipment. and I had no idea you could rent gear...but I guess either way I'd figure that it would be better to buy it and get to know it since we will be using it for a while. maybe I'm wrong?
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by sashki
Only 3 for the drums?

When you're playing live, you need to mic everything closely. You're surrounded by loud instruments, and each mic needs to pick up only what it's intended to, so you put it really close to the sound source. The problem is, with 3 mics, it'll be hard to find a good balance of sound for the whole kit.

I'm guessing you'll have one on the kick drum, one on the snare, and one overhead for the cymbals and toms?

It'll work, you just might not hear everything as loud and clear as you'd want.

Well at smaller venues I have noticed they get away with that, usually micing the bass snare and overhead. Besides that I don't see anything in between the giant mixers and that PV14 that doesn't say behringer on it

So to update all those who don't want to read the past pages:

what I'm thinking is telling my band to upgrade amps and stick with the single PA we have now and deal with less or unmiced vocals, no micced drum, just what we've been doing so far but upgrading the sound and wattage of our basic setup.

While we do this I am thinking to save money for a smaller PA system package with a mixer and speakers??? for venues without PA systems and what not?
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
I guess what I should ask is how did you guys work up your equipment in the band?? in what order did you purchase to keep moving up in quality sound and volume. What worked what didn't work? what purchases were well made what turned out to be a waiste??

thanks for all the replies so far
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel

thread.
Quote by 801Current
Thanks, I think I was just saying that's what I already got to keep it in mind, and was asking what our next steps should be. I'll keep in mind all the configurations you listed, we do have two bass amps,but missing a guitar amp for the other guitarist

anyway thanks very much, if you could advise what you think we should buy after lets say we add a keyboard through that PA, and the other guitarist and bass guitarist upgrade to legitimate amps

PS we wanted to mic all of our vocals...but we could possibly do like lead then one for drummer and one for the two others considering it will all mostly be backup

i would say upgrade what you have when you can.

the first things i would upgrade would be a more serious bass rig and either a more capable PA or add another powered speaker (another harbinger) to what you have. after that you should be about good. a good amp for the other guitarist would also be a bit of a concern (but i have seen plenty bands with one weak guitar setup for some filler in the mix while the other guitarist has the more robust setup playing most of what you hear and that is fine)

i play in a 3 piece unit, i use 2 guitar amps on stage so i can fill the mix and use stereo effects, we use 1 bass amp (a 15" with 120 watts), and we have a PA (two 1x10 wedges with stands if needed and a 1x12 driven by a 200 watt, 6 channel head). it gets by even though the PA is a bit weak. but that is about all you'll need for most smaller gigs.

focus on getting separate equipment for your instruments so as not to overburden your PA.

i take it you are young with not much money (i know i was), so i would specifically recommend staying away from money sinks and needless expense. like the mackie mixer: great mixer, awesome products; but the downside is they are pricey, you don't already have the passive speakers or power amp to run the mixer and if you are going mackie then you're probably gonna want some good stuff or else the stuff you bought a mackie for won't shine.

also, 16 inputs? you gotta remember you gotta buy the equipment to put into those 16 inputs. i personally have a 5 XLR input behringer right now for a middle of the road mixer that will get me by when need be (i hardly use it, but it is very convenient to have)

I guess what I should ask is how did you guys work up your equipment in the band?? in what order did you purchase to keep moving up in quality sound and volume. What worked what didn't work? what purchases were well made what turned out to be a waiste??

i got my guitar and amp first, i think it is very important for each member to 'take care of their own'. unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. after i got my section taken care of i got a PA and mics, then i snagged a good bass rig for the bassist (i hated his tone). in smaller gigs, the drummer can fend for himself, but it'd be nice if he had 2 mics for his kick and snare (if you wanna use the house PA to mic em, you'll at least have the option).

as for waste? tons of it. you just gotta be careful.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
First, what kind of music are you playing??

Sell those two crappy practice bass amps, look at craigslist. and get part time jobs if you can. Guitarist, buy whatever he wants tube preferably. The bassist, I got a Gallien Kreuger MB200 head in the mail, that's good brand good product, 200 watt amp head, that weighs two pounds and costs $249 but you can find coupons online. Get a 8 ohm cab (runs it at 160 watts) a 4 ohm or run two 8 ohm cabs and get the full 200 watts. my small rig will consist of the head and a 1x10 200 neo speaker cab I made from a peavey rage 158 amp, I will put it on a stool for projection. If you have never gigged before, I can't imagine you'd start anywhere where you need to mic the drums. Find venues that have open mic nights, and call them and ask about their house PA's and try there for experience, then busk in the streets after for money. Also have a plan as to who owns what after all this is said and done, money fights suck.