So I have an old Squier Strat that I'm currently refinishing an upgrading. I'm going to put a new hardtail on it and throw in some Dimarzios, get a new neck, but my real question is: Is there anyway for someone like myself to do a finish like this or this? I know they're not the same finish, but I like both of them a lot, so either would be really fun to do if at all possible.
you should ask at a music store instead of a website
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
I think they are pearlescent paints. They're expensive, so don't bugger it up first go.
You'll need an airbrush ideally; the spray cans are unpredictable.
You can treat it like normal paint afterwards.
Unless stated, don't fine sand it after it's dried.

Edit: second one looks more like a metalic finish than a pearlescent, but I might be wrong.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by Silent Murder
I think they are pearlescent paints. They're expensive, so don't bugger it up first go.
You'll need an airbrush ideally; the spray cans are unpredictable.
You can treat it like normal paint afterwards.
Unless stated, don't fine sand it after it's dried.

Edit: second one looks more like a metalic finish than a pearlescent, but I might be wrong.

Yup its a metallic...you could buy the purple and buy the metal flake to throw into the paint...that's how we did it in auto refinish so we could control the amount of metallic in the paint. Make sure you clearcoat many times for either finish...the steps can be googled, just a matter of getting the supplies.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220