Yo. So, I'm trying to record some vocals, and for some reason they sound like crap once I've recorded it. I've heard that using a compressor and an EQ helps out with that; so either I'm not using it correctly or it's crap.

I'm using a Blue Yeti Condenser mic, and I'm putting it into GarageBand. I'm just using the virtual compressor thats built into the app.

Any ways I could improve the overall quality of the recording?

Thanks, I appreciate the help!
Last edited by daadambomb at Apr 27, 2011,
Are you using a preamp? If so you might want to try tweaking that to get a warmer sound. How exactly are they sounding? Cold and sterile? Tinny? Thin? We need specifics.
Quote by daadambomb
I'm using a Blue Yeti Compressor mic

Theres a lot of your problem
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Get a nice large-diaphragm Condensor mic.
I use a CAD something(Can't remember the name.).
It does vocals well, it even does gutteral vocals. It's also great for micing a guitar amp. Never tried it as a drum overhead, but I'd imagine it'd do great.

That USB mic is holding you down. They are better for podcasting rather than serious recording. For getting a riff down just for your purposes it's good, but step into actual song territory and you've got a terrible mic.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by lockwolf
Theres a lot of your problem

Oops, haha, my bad. I meant to say "condenser". :P
Quote by strat0
Are you using a preamp? If so you might want to try tweaking that to get a warmer sound. How exactly are they sounding? Cold and sterile? Tinny? Thin? We need specifics.

No, I am not using a preamp. They sound very radio-like. It has a low quality sound. It's lacking that professional sound that you hear in all the recordings you'd buy off of iTunes. Sort of like if you were to record using a microphone used on a home video camera.
Probably your mic for at least some of it. Looking online, they don't seem to be that great. If you can, try putting it through a preamp if you can get a hold of one. Also, how are you EQing it? Inside garage band?
Does that mic even have an XLR output? What pickup pattern do you have selected?

Putting a compressor on your vocals isn't going to help 1. if you don't have a decent sound to begin with and 2. if you don't know how to use a compressor or what to listen for. I would stray from slapping a compressor on something unless you know what you're doing.
Last edited by suppositron at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by daadambomb
No, I am not using a preamp. They sound very radio-like. It has a low quality sound. It's lacking that professional sound that you hear in all the recordings you'd buy off of iTunes. Sort of like if you were to record using a microphone used on a home video camera.

A preamp would significantly improve your sound.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
the Blue Yeti is a USB mic. USB mics have preamps built in. how exactly is he to use an external preamp with a USB mic?

as already mentioned, clips would be very helpful so we know exactly what you dont like about the sound.