Do you think it's possible/ would you try to diffuse a violent situation with humor?

Poll: Would you try to diffuse a fight with humor?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you try to diffuse a fight with humor?
Yes
96 70%
No
42 30%
Voters: 138.
Page 1 of 2
Just thought about this today, since I almost witnessed a catfight last night in public, but as they were instigating, they were shouting insulting yet funny things. This made me wonder if it's possible to actually try to joke your way out of a fight (in a nice way, not by being an asshole) , or if anyone's tried.

You think you could counter a punch with a light hearted yuk?
Fuck that shit, if someone tries to hit me they're going to get one of their teeth knocked into their nose.
y so serious?

seriously, always go with sadistic humour and clown makeup.

EDIT: oh, and nobody fuck with the above poster.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I tried, I nearly had my nose broken.

Prick.

Now I wait for that move to suggest a punch and kick them hard as I can in the knee.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by JDizzle787

You think you could counter a punch with a light hearted yuk?

Maybe. I guess in some extremely rare and well executed scenario, it could work, but I can't imagine it happening.

Besides, even if you could do it, the result is that you have a black eye, and your opponent is laughing.
I don't think comedy would work, but I've learned that if you're ever in a fight, drop your pants. NOBODY wants to fight a guy who's bare-assed.
I made a "yo momma" comment to some guy making racist remarks at me and he hit me ;_;

So no, probably not >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by phlip999
I don't think comedy would work, but I've learned that if you're ever in a fight, drop your pants. NOBODY wants to fight a guy who's bare-assed.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about, a sort of spontaneous, completely crazy thing. It might also depend on the situation too and who it is. It'd probably be easier to get away with a funny mind**** if it was against someone you didn't know versus someone who might expect it from you.
i'll weasle out of a fight any way i can, humor or not. and then before you know it, BAM! you're in the hospital because i dropped arsenic in your water and they MAY not be able to revive you.
My sig? Nice.
i have, and it worked.
i also have, and it did not work.

i think it's about 50/50
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Nope. If someone is pissed at you, they will get even more enraged if you successfully make them laugh especially if others are around. Don't make a pissed off guy look silly or hes gonna beat your ass.
Depends if you got in that situation due to a misunderstanding, or if they're just a prick who provoked you, deliberately looking for a fight... but even if the first case, it's not the best solution unless you're a hilarious bastard
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Depends if you got in that situation due to a misunderstanding, or if they're just a prick who provoked you, deliberately looking for a fight... but even if the first case, it's not the best solution unless you're a hilarious bastard

Well, my Charisma is at 8, but I can easily get a +1 buff from one of my friends. So, what would that mean, a 3+ saving roll on a d6? Or was it a 10+ on a d20? I can never remember...
i did it before
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by SadusAttack
Fuck that shit, if someone tries to hit me they're going to get one of their teeth knocked into their nose.

Holy shit, remind me not to fight you!
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Possible, depends on the other person. How far into the issue are you? If you and the other gentleman are standing up and he's ready, chances are you should get ready.
I don't get in these situations very often, but when I do I just make fun of myself until they decide I'm not worth it.

Edit: Obviously, I'm not talking about being threatened by gunpoint or anything serious. I'm just talking about seventeen year olds that like to start shit with younger people.

In a serious situation I'd just do whatever I'm told.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Apr 27, 2011,
There was a fight in the middle of town between two randomers that I didn't know so, being as completely pissed as I was, I decided to jump in between them doing star jumps whilst singing the Teletubbies theme tune, disaster averted.

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I had a friend who was held at (shot)gun point as a cashier at a gas station. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"

I guess part of the question is how likely is an individual going to actually become violent. I mean, the guy had a shotgun; but the likeliness of using it still seems rather low in a petty theft. I don't think most people would commit murder, so diffusing the situation with humor doesn't seem to frightening. Everyone involved just needs to learn to lighten up.
if you're trying to tell jokes to someone who wants to hurt you, you'll probably make him angrier. basically what you're saying to him is you don't take him seriously or respect his reason for being angry.
i stand 5' 5" and 120 pounds. i just remind anyone that wants to fight that they have alot more pride to lose by losing to me than i do by losing to them.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at (shot)gun point as a cashier at a gas station. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"

I guess part of the question is how likely is an individual going to actually become violent. I mean, the guy had a shotgun; but the likeliness of using it still seems rather low in a petty theft. I don't think most people would commit murder, so diffusing the situation with humor doesn't seem to frightening. Everyone involved just needs to learn to lighten up.

That's legendary.
Not really. if somebody is mad/angry with you and wants to fight you, I don't think they will change their mind because of a joke. not to mention it would be hard to pull off a joke that is not insulting to them and fits the situation.

I guess if you really want to stop somebody from fighting you, saying sorry, and you don't want to fight usually works.
Depends on the circumstances. I would most likely say no though.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
depends on the person that wants to fight? I already dodged some blows by making some lame comments, others just got even angrier n the fight was on..

As an in between person (as the one coming between the "fighters") jokes mostly work. Just say something like "you guys are gonna fight for this? Who's the pussy now?"
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
I think it depends on the situation. If it's just a regular fight over a disagreement or something, I can see someone successfully diffusing the situation with humor. On the other hand, if your up against a violent person who seriously wants to hurt you for whatever reason, making jokes probably isn't the best idea.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
If you're gonna get your ass kicked, might as well make it memorable. If humor doesn't work that is.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
If someone wants to fight me, go ahead... see how that works out for you.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I have, it's like dealing with hecklers; you just turn everyone against the person. Unless you're alone with them, small crowds are tough (especially when they want to bash your head in). I'm hilarious though....

I wouldn't try to use humor to quell, say, a paranoid-schizophrenic who had me in a headlock however.
Am I the only one who has never been threatened, let alone in a fight?

Its not that hard people.
If you want to get your shit rocked.

If someone made a joke in a violent situation, i would hit them harder.
What a long strange trip it's been

Nothing to see here.

You hail the calves as eloquently as any facade of Easter Island.

Quote by Pencil Man
You know it get's serious when UG's Obama tells you off.

Call me Mr. President
i prefer rubbing my smooth-yet firm buttcheeks against the enemys thighs

Quote by JacobTheMe
Am I the only one who has never been threatened, let alone in a fight?

Its not that hard people.

no one hits a girl
"Maybe if I compare him to the opposite gender, then he will be insulted and all of UG will love me."

Quote by Arterial
no one hits a girl

"Nope. It didn't work. "
Page 1 of 2