Hey UG

i've only ever really been a basic guitar and amp kind of guy, but lately i've been investing in pedals. I've been trying to read up on them but it's really confusing me and i just need a bit of explaining (i'll get it eventually, i'm not that dumb, hopefully!)

So far i have :

Boss Tu-3
Boss DD-7
Boss ns-2
BBE - sonic stomp
Maxon OD808
Boss - rc2

i know some sound better through the front of the amp, but then some of them go through the fx loop at the back, and i have no idea what any of the send/return stuff is or the X configuration for the ns-2/dd7 etc :')
please do help me, but just do it as basic as you can as i'm only a novice!!!

If it helps i play through an ltd ec-1000 and a peavy JSX

(before i get 'why get pedals if you cant use them' i got them all as birthday presents and i just want to enhance my sound and experiment more )
Last edited by JakeLTD at Apr 27, 2011,
The tuner should be the first thing in your chain, because it works best when it only recieves the guitar signal, without any effects.

The noise suppressor should go last, as the pedals before it all affect the levels which it needs to operate properly. Some people like to put their noise suppressor in the effects loop.

Overdrive/distortion pedals usually go at the front of the amp.

The delay can go either in the front, or in the effects loop, depending on what kind of sound you want. Putting it in the FX loop is good if you want a more subtle, ambient kind of delay tone. If you're going for a more obvious delay sound, then put it in front.

The RC2 should go towards the end of the signal chain, because it needs to record all the effects that are in the chain. For example, if you want to record a clean loop and play over it with a distortion tone, you want the sound that's looping to stay clean when you turn your other pedals on. That's why you put the RC2 at the end of the chain (not sure if it's better before or after the noise suppressor).

There aren't really any rules for this sort of stuff. Don't be afraid to try it out and change the order they go in. What I've said are just guidelines.
thanks a lot for that, it does help man!
could you just explain to me what all the send/return stuff is please? still baffled as to what that is haha
The send/return is your FX loop. which basically allows you to put pedals in between the pre-amp (part of the amp that gives you distortion when you turn the gain knob up) and the power amp (the part that makes it loud)

usually, and this isnt a hard and fast rule things like Delay will go in the effects loop so that when its doing its thang, the delayed notes are not getting distorted by the preamp.

I personally would put the RC-2 in the FX loop so that way when you make a recording with it you are going to be able to use the amp for distortion if you so please.
ah that makes sense i guess!
what exactly do i plug into the send/return as well is input/output then?! :S
guitar > tuner > bbe (what is that one anyway?) > OD 808 > NS > amp > send > RC/DD > return

Experiment with it a bit but hopefully that helps.

Personally I hate the sound of distorted chorus or delay, at least through my amp, so I find my pedals generally go Metalzone (dist) > delay > chorus > amp on clean. Swapping the chorus and delay gives interesting results, although I'm fondest of delay then chorus after spending time with it today.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Quote by 8footsativaist
guitar > tuner > bbe (what is that one anyway?) > OD 808 > NS > amp > send > RC/DD > return

Experiment with it a bit but hopefully that helps.

Personally I hate the sound of distorted chorus or delay, at least through my amp, so I find my pedals generally go Metalzone (dist) > delay > chorus > amp on clean. Swapping the chorus and delay gives interesting results, although I'm fondest of delay then chorus after spending time with it today.

cheers for that it does help
the bbe sonic stomp is a sonic maximizer, it basically adds contour and makes your lead lines louder and clearer. If you go on the BBE website they have a video or two with it on
The sonic stomp works best when in the loop. Your hardest task is correctly chaining this all with the NS-2.

Any time based and modulation effects normally work best in the loop, along with tone shaping effects like an EQ and the BBE.

My advice is run the guitar straight into tuner and through any pedals that come BEFORE your amp, then run it through the NS-2 configuration.

At the point where you need to connect the preamp (fx send) to the NS-2, place any effects which may cause any noise inbetween the preamp out (fx send) and the NS-2.

Then when it comes to connecting back up to the power amp in (fx return) place any delay effects between the NS-2 and the return of the amp, otherwise the noise gate will cut off your delays thinking its noise.

Hope I've helped
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
I always have my delay pedal at the very end of my pedal chain. an example of what I'm running right now is.....ESP Eclipse>Korg Picthblack Tuner>JC Crybaby>Phase 90>Rocktron Hush>Peavey 5150>Malekko Fuzz>Malekko Chorus>MXR 10-band EQ>Malekko Ekko 616.....

Now since these are different brands and effects alltogether, your's won't look exactly the same, but it's a good idea to sit down and just mess with the arrangement because you'll figure out where each pedal likes to be. a good rule of thumb is Which Chain Of Effects Makes Life Easy. Wah Compression, OD/Distortion, EQ, Modulation(Chorus, Phaser), Volume, Echo/Delay. It gives you a good starting point, but it really comes down to messing with what you've got to use.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals