Page 1 of 4
404 - Not Found
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Wait so tabs don't work on here for anyone outside US?
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Wow dude If I lived outside the US I would be pissed as hell.
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
What the... I'm confused. Especially since I'm in the UK and the tabs still seem to work for me right now... I just looked up a tab for some random song I've never actually heard and it's right here on my screen
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Found this on the comment section of the article.

On April 10, 2010, Ultimate Guitar entered a licensing agreement with Harry Fox Agency[5]. The agreement included rights for lyrics display, title search and tablature display with download and print capabilities. HFA’s over 44,000 represented publishers have the opportunity to opt-in to the licensing arrangement with UG.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Guitar#MPA_conflicts
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Last edited by Ostinattos at Apr 27, 2011,
I just realized I don't even use this website for tabs anymore....

Learning by ear and writing your own songs FTW
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
What the... I'm confused. Especially since I'm in the UK and the tabs still seem to work for me right now... I just looked up a tab for some random song I've never actually heard and it's right here on my screen

It's not all tabs. I'm in the UK and, for example, I can't see this tab:

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rory_gallagher/a_million_miles_away_tab.htm
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

Heh, figures.

I now join in with the shouting:

What the actual fuck?! WHY?!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

I am in the USA, and I cannot see this tab
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

Yeah I'm in Canada, and i can not see that tab.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Heh, figures.

I now join in with the shouting:

What the actual fuck?! WHY?!

Like I said, greedy cunts. Sad excuses for human beings. People who obviously only give a shit about the size of the pile of money they have, which they probably lie on top of and furiously masturbate while laughing at poor people.
Songs are licensed by territory, and adding territories to a license costs more money. UG probably can't afford to license the rights to certain catalogs outside of certain territories, but it should only be a matter of time before they can afford it.

I work at a major publisher and actually held in my hands the physical license that showed how much UG paid to license out catalog, and let me just say that you should all be grateful to UG for shelling out so much cash without asking for anything back from you. This was years ago before the paid accounts, too. I can't divulge the exact number, but there were lots of zeroes. LOTS.

Be patient, I'm sure there will be more territories available soon.

Someone above posted this:
On April 10, 2010, Ultimate Guitar entered a licensing agreement with Harry Fox Agency[5]. The agreement included rights for lyrics display, title search and tablature display with download and print capabilities. HFA’s over 44,000 represented publishers have the opportunity to opt-in to the licensing arrangement with UG.

That's the paperwork I was reading today at work. I say props to UG for properly licensing the tabs and putting the money back in the pockets of the songwriters. You'd be amazed how LITTLE money goes to these 'greedy fat cats' you all imagine exist (they don't. trust me. total figment of your imagination, and I'm not being sarcastic).

This money is going back to the musicians who wrote the music who aren't getting any money from their labels. Publishing is the biggest source of income for musicians since their labels don't do a whole lot to bring in profit for them.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Apr 27, 2011,
I thought UG could avoid all this shit because of motherland russia
I leik music
well it really reall really sucks, because i live outside the US, but the truth is, torrents will always exist

anyways, i tried to get some tabs in this moment and i did it succesfully
Quote by Lord_Hondros
I am in the USA, and I cannot see this tab

I'm in the USA and i can't see it either.
Quote by col50
I thought UG could avoid all this shit because of motherland russia

They can because it's still a legal grey area there, but they have the moral fiber to go ahead and pay the musicians who wrote the songs, like everyone should be doing. This money is going to the artists through the publisher, not going to fat cat CEOs somewhere.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

ConorC123 (he tabbed the song) should be able to file a DMCA counter notice and the tab would be back up but he hasn't been online for 2 years so I don't think it's ever going back up.
Last edited by marc137 at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by Sid McCall
They can because it's still a legal grey area there, but they have the moral fiber to go ahead and pay the musicians who wrote the songs, like everyone should be doing. This money is going to the artists through the publisher, not going to fat cat CEOs somewhere.

Pay them for fucking what?

It's not official tablature. It's all created by users, for free. Are you telling me that if I wrote out the chords to a song and passed it to my mate, I should have to pay the musicians? Fuck off. It's the same basic thing, and it's completely and utterly ridiculous.
I don't understand why the US gets out fine, UG is a Russian jurisdiction no?

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Pay them for fucking what?

It's not official tablature. It's all created by users, for free. Are you telling me that if I wrote out the chords to a song and passed it to my mate, I should have to pay the musicians? Fuck off. It's the same basic thing, and it's completely and utterly ridiculous.

Show me a single tab on here that's just chords. If there was a tab on here that consisted of LITERALLY nothing but 'ADAG / CFAmG / FGCG' then you're right, they would not get paid for that. Anything that has lyrics or melody is the intellectual property of the writer.

Seeing as every member here is a musician, you'd think people could respect artists creating music and receiving money for it since it's their PROFESSION and there's no magical stream of income that musicians are getting that you can't see.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I don't understand why the US gets out fine, UG is a Russian jurisdiction no?

Ultimate-Guitar.com has adopted the following policy concerning copyright infringement in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), as codified in 17 U.S.C §512.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/about/dmca.htm
Quote by Delta_Mike
Are they going to show up in cars, place a bag on my head and tape my mouth shut if I show a friend how to play a song without their permission?

Nope, because that's private performance, and you are free to perform or teach whatever you want in your home.

There are very specific, and absolutely fair, laws to protect intellectual property and they apply to music in the exact same terms with which they apply to visual and performance arts.

Everybody go look up Title 17, US Copyright Law and read it. It's plain English with very little 'legalese' and you'll realize how simple it all is.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Delta_Mike
Are they going to show up in cars, place a bag on my head and tape my mouth shut if I show a friend how to play a song without their permission?

This.

Same is happening with Spotify. Kind of encouraging hackers, aren't you? I've never pirated a thing in my life. But tabs are just... well, rubbish. Especially UG tabs. I've submitted 2 which are completely wrong.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by marc137

Ahh what the fuck UG... this is ridiculous

Cheers for the link man.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Tabs are peoples own interpretation of how to play a song so HOW IS IT COPYRIGHT INFRIGMENT??
I leik music
Quote by Sean-Man
Yeah I'm in Canada, and i can not see that tab.

No luck for me either, and I'm in the U.S.
Quote by Sid McCall
Show me a single tab on here that's just chords. If there was a tab on here that consisted of LITERALLY nothing but 'ADAG / CFAmG / FGCG' then you're right, they would not get paid for that. Anything that has lyrics or melody is the intellectual property of the writer.

Seeing as every member here is a musician, you'd think people could respect artists creating music and receiving money for it since it's their PROFESSION and there's no magical stream of income that musicians are getting that you can't see.

There are thousands that are just chords, and I'm not exaggerating - literally thousands. Not that it makes the slightest difference. It was just an example... it could have been the melody, the lyrics, or the full score. It makes no difference.

Musicians do recieve money for their music. They sell the music itself. That's what they create and that's what they get money for... pretty simple, really. However, they don't create the tablature - transcriptions have been done for ages, for free, until these cunts came along and saw another opportunity to squeeze out some more money. It's only the property of the person who creates it. They charge money for the official tablature, which is fair enough. People should also be free to create their own, and share it.

To consider your point that every member here is a musician - I'm sure that all of us would be delighted if people were trying to learn our music. The thought of charging someone for it doesn't even begin to cross my mind. I'm sure it doesn't cross any of these musicians' minds, either - it's the companies in charge. Musicians want to sell their music, of course, but after having already recieved money for their music, why would they want to recieve more for people learning the songs? Besides being incredibly greedy, of course.
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Apr 27, 2011,
is it sad i got all excited when i saw UG up there? I think i come here too much, i'm relating with this place >.>

Quote by Sid McCall
Show me a single tab on here that's just chords.

you don't come here for the tabs do you? They have seperate formats for tabs that are just chords
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Last edited by bass-man9712 at Apr 27, 2011,
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
To consider your point that every member here is a musician - I'm sure that all of us would be delighted if people were trying to learn our music. The thought of charging someone for it doesn't even begin to cross my mind.

I must say I have to agree with this. Hell, if I was in the habit of releasing music I would gladly let people have it for free if they wanted it.

Edit:

This one is just chords http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/my_bloody_valentine/sometimes_ver4_crd.htm

Just for the sake of argument.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
There are thousands that are just chords, and I'm not exaggerating - literally thousands. Not that it makes the slightest difference. It was just an example... it could have been the melody, the lyrics, or the full score. It makes no difference.

Musicians do recieve money for their music. They sell the music itself. That's what they create and that's what they get money for... pretty simple, really. However, they don't create the tablature - transcriptions have been done for ages, for free, until these cunts came along and saw another opportunity to squeeze out some more money.

Not really in the mood to argue too much here, I have a degree in this, and a job working in the publishing industry, so needless to say I know a crapload more than you do.

As far as 'free transcriptions' through the ages, that stuff was never free. Sheet music first appeared and a famous musical theater writer (I can't remember 100% right now who it was) heard people playing his songs in clubs and realized that they were getting paid for playing his music, and thus basically established performing rights societies and royalty payments.

As far as policing tabs here, I would imagine that they assume every tab is correct, and if challenged they will examine the transcription and if they find that it does not contain any of the melody/lyrics of the original song, the claim will be dropped and the musician will not be paid. If it contains any of the melody, then the copyright holder deserves money for its distribution. It's really all that simple.

Edit: I see what you're all saying about 'just chords' and when I do search for song chords here, personally, nine times out of ten I come across the chords with lyrics written above them, and that constitutes use of the original composition. If it's just chords, like I already stated, then it is not protected. If it's a complicated series of jazz chords in a ridiculously long pattern, then it is protected. There's no written law to differentiate how many different chords in a progression are free to use, but it's up to a judge's discretion.

It's funny how everyone on UG (huge generalization on my behalf, I understand) was attacking coldplay for plagiarizing satriani, but you all support using transcriptions without compensating the composers. Ironic.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Apr 27, 2011,
Maybe this'll make people learn more songs by ear and make them even better musicians?

But **** that, I want tabs.
Page 1 of 4