Alright so my band broke up after a year of being together. We played a lot of Metallica, Sabbath, etc.

Now, after 9 months, we decided that we're on good terms and all want to jam again. However, this time around we're thinking of doing something a little different. My friend who plays bass is huge into Tool, so we thought it'd be cool to do something different than metal. More psychedelic, if you will.

I'm not as experienced in the sort of psychedelic genre so I was looking for some advice on what to do as far as writing techniques, effects, what to learn, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Well you'll probably want to keep your playing relatively minimal if your bassist is into Tool, relatively physically simple rhythm parts that always keep one foot on the intellectual side of the fence.

As for effects... as many as you can get hold of and learn what sounds you can get out of them really well, apply as needed to get the sounds you want.

Basically just listen to (and learn) lots and lots of Tool
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well you'll probably want to keep your playing relatively minimal if your bassist is into Tool, relatively physically simple rhythm parts that always keep one foot on the intellectual side of the fence.

As for effects... as many as you can get hold of and learn what sounds you can get out of them really well, apply as needed to get the sounds you want.

Basically just listen to (and learn) lots and lots of Tool

Yeah, that's what I sort of figured it would be like. He's more of the guitarist kind of bassist, as opposed to a bassist-bassist, if you know what I mean hahah. We can sort of feed off eachother as far as writing goes, and I'm sure I'll get the idea once I start listening to more of his stuff like Tool and whatever else.

Quote by BlitzkriegAir

Yeah I was hoping we'd take more of the Floyd route because I'm much more experienced in that kind of stuff. I mainly play a lot of Hendrix, Floyd, Zep, etc. but I guess Tool was the basis of this project me and my buddies may be starting, so I was just wondering what else there was to find out about it.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
drop acid, sway, and listen to this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAHODyEpm2w
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
just listen to a bunch of what you would consider phsychedelic rock.... you don't really need to trip for it, just listen to it.

I would recommend delay and reverb, as well as a wah pedal, and very little distortion, or if you want to go distorted, overdo the distortion just keep it at a rather low volume. and let the notes drag out, almost no palm muting.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
What I know of psychedelic music involves a lot of different effects. If you're looking to take some cues from that area, look into keeping your sound palette very varied and keeping your mind very open. A lot of psychedelic rock focuses on a simple, repeated melodic figure with an emphasis on changing the presentation rather than the melody or rhythm. A great example of this is Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. It's got that famous repeating figure with a droning melody. The idea is to lull you into a sort of trance with the music.