Hello all I have never used EMG pickups and I am worried about this prewired plug and play set up they have.

I am wanting to make a hybrid between a Fender Cyclone II and a Jagstang frankenstein mess.

The plan- get the EMG David Gilmour DG20 prewired pickguard and pop everything off of and put it on a Jagstang body, use three 3-position switches instead of the 5-way switch so I can run in phase and out of phase play.

Now with how this plug and play system is I dont know if it will work, because when you do normal wirering for the Jagstang you go to the 3-position switches then to your pots... but with EMG set up the pickup go straight to custom circuit board and then to the 5-way switch pots ect ect.

Anyone think I could just cut the wire from the pickups half way and run them to the 3-position switches an run them like a Jagstang, and then go from the 3-position switches back to the EMG circuit board, then take the wires that go to the 5-way switch and splice them together, so it think all of them are selected and on. Because in theory the 3-position switches are now telling what ones are on... That should work right?

Hope you can under stand what I am asking

Thank for you time guys
Zane
Last edited by potzahasee01 at Apr 27, 2011,
If you want to change the switchgear then it is going to require soldering the pickups to the switches individually. Then splice the outputs of the switches together to go to the volume pot. Is this what you mean? Should work. Wouldn't it be easier just to buy 3 SA 20 pickups and a couple of 25k pots?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
If you want to change the switchgear then it is going to require soldering the pickups to the switches individually. Then splice the outputs of the switches together to go to the volume pot. Is this what you mean? Should work. Wouldn't it be easier just to buy 3 SA 20 pickups and a couple of 25k pots?

Here are shots of the back of it, how its set up its so tight and nice with the one circuit board layout, (on the circuit board is a EXG low boost and high boost as one of the tone nobs and the other tone nob is SPC mid boost) But yes I could run 3 SA20's and do it my self but this is a lot cleaner... plus the battery fits vary nice under the EXG and SPC nob's, it looks really clean and nice on strats and it easy to swap out the battery.

http://www.emgpickups.com/content/productimages/DG20-bk.jpg

http://www.emgpickups.com/content/productimages/DG20-bk-detail.jpg

As you see the pickups go straight to a hub/circuit board. So as I understand it, splice each pickup to its own 3-way and then from the 3-way back to the circuit board (witch is basically acting as the volume nob by the look of it). Take the 5 wires that go to from the board to the 5-way switch and solder them all together (so it acts like they are all on) Because each pickup has its own off on on switch with the 3-ways...

I think thats basically what you said too, dont mean to be redundant or anything just want to be sure I understand and am on the same page. Dont want to spend $300 and find out it will not work like that.

Thanks for your time
Zane
Last edited by potzahasee01 at Apr 28, 2011,