Ok. so i got a Generic telecaster...It is PLYWOOD BODY

and i had an idea to Stain the wood b4 i found out it was ply wood.

What do you think?

a Stained ply wood telecaster

Or paint it

I woudl absolutly love to stain this thing

casue it got a Great idea with a DArk red stain.

but dose anybody have opinions on it?

and also would a tele ply wood look good stained?
Music is my religion and Rock N Roll is god
Do it, it be a one off thats all yours. Just put a light stain to get the feel, if you don't like it sand it back down and paint over it.
Quote by potzahasee01
Do it, it be a one off thats all yours. Just put a light stain to get the feel, if you don't like it sand it back down and paint over it.

i could yea... but has anybody ever seen a plywood telecaster Stained? lol

or any guitar thats ply wood Stained?

And how do tehy look? :S
plywood isn't a good wood for guitar bodies. if you want to hide the fact that it is plywood, paint would be best, if you dont care, stain would be fine.

up to you...
---
lol I wodner woudl it look like ply wood flooring? lmfao

Idk. its a toss up casue i got this great idea in my head.

what im thinking of doing is this

My guitar is some korean made Lady luck guitar(can barley find info and the maker is gone out of buisness)

and its a telecaster style. few things about it tho.

for one the design thats on it. witch you can find here on UG in my pics.

its a flowery floral design tha tim not a fan of at all.

Also the toen pot is completly ****ed....its broke lol

and so i figured this being my first guitar project that id Do somthing original.
So i want to either Paint it or stain it a DARK red color and then but this Lady luck pin up decal i got from Ebay. on it. and kinda make it tribute to old Vegas/Reno
Gambling scene fromt he 50's and 60's

thats my origninal idea

few thigns im not sure about....for one is if i shoudl use a pick plate or not

and also Stain or Paint it (thats what the posts about)

and finaly if i painted it. im looking at months till i can buff it casue everybody says let the clear coat harden for like a month..........i worked in a autobody shop for a while and painted cars....it was usualy a overnight process for it to harden.

So Im confused beyond belife about most of this shit.

and on top of that its jsut 1 solid color.

now if i coudl find a way to get a nice flatish paintjob with a little gloss that looked really decent. and woudlnt take a long time id be totaly down to paint.

but ppl are saying to wait for clear coat and bla bla bla.

So idk anymore

as far as plywood not soudning good. IVe palyed MIM Tele's and to be hoenst this thing sounds just as good.
and it feels even more comfortable to hold

So anymore help or opinion Go ahead

that was jsut the background
Here's the deal with guitar people and paint. They seem to over react majorly. Anything besides lacquer will harden up pretty quick. Nitrocellulose on the other hand will need some time. I waited a few days to buff out my deft nitro finish. It turned out pretty well. But anyhow, my suggestion is stain it, then do a black burst around the edges, apply the pinup and clear it!
Finish it as you might for any other type of quality furniture. Learn how to fill grain, seal and sand veneers. Try differing stains on similar surfaces as a trial BEFORE you take the stain brush to the guitar. Dope out differing clear finishes; Poly vs laquer/vs shellac, etc.
Once you have this all suss'd out, you might go into the furniture restoration biz

HTH
D-10
Screw it.. im jsut painting it. I gouged a couple parts of the top laminant. and it looks horrible.

So im just gunna Make it all nice and smooth and paint the thing

Ohh well

Also i think im going to Router the sides down a little and make it look kinda diffrent.

so it will be a rounded top looking and the back woudl be Completly Flat
Quote by deltaten
Finish it as you might for any other type of quality furniture. Learn how to fill grain, seal and sand veneers. Try differing stains on similar surfaces as a trial BEFORE you take the stain brush to the guitar. Dope out differing clear finishes; Poly vs laquer/vs shellac, etc.
Once you have this all suss'd out, you might go into the furniture restoration biz

HTH
D-10
Also, make sure to get past the sealer.

Quote by lo0nyt0on
Screw it.. im jsut painting it. I gouged a couple parts of the top laminant. and it looks horrible.

So im just gunna Make it all nice and smooth and paint the thing

Ohh well

Also i think im going to Router the sides down a little and make it look kinda diffrent.

so it will be a rounded top looking and the back woudl be Completly Flat
You can flatten/fill the gouges with epoxy wood filler, then stain.

BTW, I've played a plywood guitar and one wouldn't think it was plywood while going through an Uberschall Twin Jet or a SLO.

why dont you pain the body black then get a veneer top and stain that
bang tidy
what's the difference between a drug dealer and a prostitute?

a drug dealer can't wash his crack and sell it again
I just wanted to say, as far as plywood tone goes I just did a test with my girlfriend, I played all my guitars for her and one of the ones that turned her on the most was my Danelectro U1 reissue (plywood body!). Go figure. Unfortunately the one that turns her on the most is a Epiphone J-200 which... I don't own.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
I just wanted to say, as far as plywood tone goes I just did a test with my girlfriend, I played all my guitars for her and one of the ones that turned her on the most was my Danelectro U1 reissue (plywood body!). Go figure. Unfortunately the one that turns her on the most is a Epiphone J-200 which... I don't own.

+1