Page 1 of 2
is it just me, or is screaming in metal getting too played out? it all just sounds the same to me anymore. everybody sounds way too similar to bands like BTBAM, "ascendency" era Trivium, or something along those lines to me. am i on to something here? i dont necessarily mind it---i listen to alot of bands that do that stuff, but i only try to listen to a couple bands that scream similarly so they dont ALL sound the same. does metal need a fresh injection of an ORIGINAL way to do things? any suggestions or fresh new bands you have heard recently?
have you ever listened to metal ?
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
try listening to behemoth or dimmu borgir or eluveitie and even cannibal corpse. All different type of growls and good metal
Maynard James Keenan. True screamer, not all high pitched and gay, very intense but not like death metal intense. I honestly hate metal that has Trivium type screaming, I think its pretty homo. MJK is a great lyricist too, probably the best frontman of any hard rock band. And he's got 3!
I'm not really a fan of metal but I love Killswitch Engage and Times of Grace. I think both singers have excellent voices for singing.
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
Last edited by walkingminstral at Apr 27, 2011,
They scream because they can't sing. Real metal bands don't need to scream because they actually have talent.

Does Dave Mustaine scream? No.
Does James Hetfield scream? No.
Does Joey Belladonna scream? No.
Does Lemmey scream? No.
Does Rob Halford scream? No.
Does Bruce Dikinson scream? No.
Does Tobias Sammet scream? No.
Does Joacim Cans scream? No.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
They scream because they can't sing. Real metal bands don't need to scream because they actually have talent.

Does Dave Mustaine scream? No.
Does James Hetfield scream? No.
Does Joey Belladonna scream? No.
Does Lemmey scream? No.
Does Rob Halford scream? No.
Does Bruce Dikinson scream? No.
Does Tobias Sammet scream? No.
Does Joacim Cans scream? No.

Quote by cRACk mONKEyTTU
Maynard James Keenan. True screamer, not all high pitched and gay, very intense but not like death metal intense. I honestly hate metal that has Trivium type screaming, I think its pretty homo. MJK is a great lyricist too, probably the best frontman of any hard rock band. And he's got 3!

Quote by walkingminstral
I'm not really a fan of metal but I love Killswitch Engage and Times of Grace. I think both singers have excellent voices for singing and screaming.

None of you know what you're talking about. Kindly shut the fuck up you dicksmuggling anal intruders.

This thread is reported.
Hint: If you do not listen to metal, please do not venture into the metal forum, it would be greatly appreciated.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by technicolour
None of you know what you're talking about. Kindly shut the fuck up you dicksmuggling anal intruders.

This thread is reported.

Harsh dude, we're just voicing our opinions.
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
Quote by illuminatiano
Hint: If you do not listen to metal, please do not venture into the metal forum, it would be greatly appreciated.

Or at least lurk for awhile so you can educate yourself.
Quote by technicolour

says the guy in the hardcore punk band....
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8atiEPs0bQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mebSi4PDC34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-GmrRXk_hg (ignore the video in this one)
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by stonyman65
says the guy in the hardcore punk band....

I enjoy both metal and hardcore, is that a problem? do you realize how much the two have in common with each other? do you know what crust is?
Quote by walkingminstral
Harsh dude, we're just voicing our opinions.

Killswitch Engage and Times of Grace are both off-topic in this forum. The guy who mentioned Maynard James Keenan made the same mistake you did, and the other guy was being a troll.

Anywho, to the TC: if everything you're listening to sounds like either BTBAM or Trivium, stop listening to bad music. We've got a giant recommendation thread stickied here that you can go to for help.
I hate when all there is is screaming/growling. It's okay if there's actual singing too but it just sounds terrible to me and leads me to believe they are screaming because of an inability to sing. But to each his own, some people probably feel it intensifies the song.

Edit: See if you like thrash metal. I recommend Testament, Annihilator, older Metallica, Kreator, Metal Church... there are a lot of good ones.
Last edited by space aids at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by Scourge441
Killswitch Engage and Times of Grace are both off-topic in this forum. The guy who mentioned Maynard James Keenan made the same mistake you did, and the other guy was being a troll.

Anywho, to the TC: if everything you're listening to sounds like either BTBAM or Trivium, stop listening to bad music. We've got a giant recommendation thread stickied here that you can go to for help.

Killswitch is definitely a derivative of metal. Is it really that strict in here?
Quote by technicolour

Wow, the dude asked for opinions on screaming in metal, not assholes coming in and trollin. And sayin go educate yourselves... What do you know? You don't know shit apparently, sayin I dont know what I'm talkin about when I say MJK is a great screamer. Have you ever listened to any of his music? Do you even know who he is? Best screamer I've ever heard by far, and he's an even better singer, and an even better lyricist.
Quote by walkingminstral
Killswitch is definitely a derivative of metal. Are there really that many elitists here?

fix'd

yes
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by cRACk mONKEyTTU
Wow, the dude asked for opinions on screaming in metal, not assholes coming in and trollin. And sayin go educate yourselves... What do you know? You don't know shit apparently, sayin I dont know what I'm talkin about when I say MJK is a great screamer. Have you ever listened to any of his music? Do you even know who he is? Best screamer I've ever heard by far, and he's an even better singer, and an even better lyricist.

The problem is: people who are clearly not familiar with metal come in here and voice their opinions on the genre as a whole. Just because you listen to some metalcore bands, or some thrash bands does not mean you have a grasp on the entire genre. If you did you would know that harsh vocals are an integral part of a huge portion of metal - whether you like them or not. This is nothing new, bands have been growling since 1989 and earlier.

If you want recommendations of bands that don't use harsh vocals, then go to the recommendation thread at the top of the page.

There, that's about as intelligent as this thread can get.
Quote by cRACk mONKEyTTU

No, MJK is a piece of shit, and his bands are even worse.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Waterboy799

talking about the vocalists. The guitar/bass/drums are awesome, but the screaming makes me want to hurt myself for listening to it.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
talking about the vocalists. The guitar/bass/drums are awesome, but the screaming makes me want to hurt myself for listening to it.

the reason why i posted those 3 bands specifically is because they have vocalists that scream AND sing extremely well.

you don't have to enjoy the growling, but please don't assume that because a vocalist decides to growl they cannot sing.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
the reason why i posted those 3 bands specifically is because they have vocalists that scream AND sing extremely well.

you don't have to enjoy the growling, but please don't assume that because a vocalist decides to growl they cannot sing.

Amen!
Quote by stonyman65

Then the artists have reached their goal.

Now GTFO. You people are starting to get to me.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Okay. I must say I really enjoy the entire Death Growling/Screaming thing, but not when you hear it and think "Damn, I've heard that somewhere before". Like they've ripped out the guys vocal chords or something and implanted them into themselves or something.
Let's take Blackgaurd for example, Power Metal band with Harsh vocals, by who else than Alexi Laiho? So I thought until I checked the personell on the album, turns out they have their own vocalist. But's still that Alexi Laiho-like high pitch screaming. Only Alexi Laiho should do that. Otherwise Blackgaurd, a pretty good band, ruined by a terrible vocalist. And their wasn't any clean stuff, just Alexi Laiho going off his head.
Depending on the genre (Black, Thrash, Power, Death) etc, I would rather have some clean vocals thrown in the mix to complement it. Otherwise it can get abit irritating, especially if its Alexi laiho after his had a few too many beers and decided to make another album.. No wait, just some nameless band we've never heard of.
METAL!
^
You're acting like Children of bodom is the first to do that vocal style.

And I don't think Blackgaurd vox sounds like Laiho that much. Plus blackguard has more variety in vocals high to lower guterals.
I leik music
^^^
Meh to be honest Blackgaurd and Children of Bodom are the only places Ive heard that particular vocal style.
What other bands do it?
METAL!
TS, Id say you just need to listen to more metal if you think its getting stagnant. As Scourge said, theres a gigantic rec thread at the top of the metal forum page, and you'd probably be best off starting with the melodic death metal section to get things started, given your taste.

I cant believe Im actually giving advice in a thread that someone has used the word 'elitist' in, and meant it.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by cRACk mONKEyTTU

I love Tool and think MJK is a pretty damn good vocalist, but I'm guessing you don't know what "screaming" or harsh vocals are in a metal context. The only song where MJK does anything like that is Ticks and Leeches, and it's pretty mediocre compared to most metal vocalists.

Also, Tool aren't metal anyway.
I haven't listened to enough screamo bands to comment on this, but in terms of growling Mikael Akerfeldt is probably my favorite, he has a really nice range and when looking at black metal styled snarling (I'm not sure what to call it) I really like John Haughm's style.
lord worm lord worm lord worm.

and niege is really good, too. also he sings well.
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
Last edited by ambivalent615 at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by SiliCo
I haven't listened to enough screamo bands to comment on this, but in terms of growling Mikael Akerfeldt is probably my favorite, he has a really nice range and when looking at black metal styled snarling (I'm not sure what to call it) I really like John Haughm's style.

Haughm doesn't do any sort of black metal vocals. The man basically just whispers into the mic with a bit of grain on his voice. He's not very good.

Neige, on the other hand, as has been posted, is excellent.
Quote by Ultraussie
^^^
Meh to be honest Blackgaurd and Children of Bodom are the only places Ive heard that particular vocal style.
What other bands do it?

That particular style? I guess Wintersun, Jari does it better. Laiho's really pretty shit vocally.

and "High pitched screaming" wise, listen to Dawn. And Sacramentum. And... well, there're many, many band who use high pitched screams, and use them way better than Children of Bodom or Blackguard.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
like I said in the other thread.

"real metal" fans are some of the most annoying and pretentious people ever.

you're acting like the 12 year olds you are.
Page 1 of 2