So, I have been really getting into Queens of the Stone Age, which uses E standard, and a lot of C standard. I really love the sound of people playing rock in C standard, it sounds very powerful. I don't want to dedicate any of my existing guitars to the tuning, so i want to spend $400.00 on a guitar for it. Probably just to mess around, maybe I would eventually modify it to sound better. I would at first hope to just put some 12's on it, and play, since most lower tunned guitars don't sound as bad when they are cheap then higher quality guitars (my experience at least). i think it would improve my playing to play with alternate tunings. Any help would be great, I would be using Fuzz/overdrive through my amps in sig. Thanks!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Last edited by kracdown at Apr 28, 2011,
Im using my jackson dk2 for C standard right now.

I'm using ernie ball beefy slinky 11-54 i believe. I like a wound G string and they don't come with a wound G string so I have to use a 24 D string from a different pack.

It has a licensed floyd rose and I havent had any problems with mine..

My dkmg is in drop B with regular beefy slinkys.

Check out the used sites for Jacksons or L/Ps
Last edited by voleurz at Apr 28, 2011,
I have cheapo midrange warlock with passive pups that I keep in C standard. it does kyuss fairly well. I dont really like QOTSA though so I couldnt say about that.

mockingbird would be pretty good too if you dont like the pointy warlock. same guitar different shape basically. pretty sure thats what josh homme played at one point.

even an epi dot would do well for a QOTSA sound, again josh homme...
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Any guitar that you think sounds good is the right choice. Now if you're looking for brands as a start, you might try ESP LTD, Jackson, Ibanez, PRS, and Schecter.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
I don't want a crazy shape or anything. I was thinking about a vintage modified squire tele with hot rails... something like that. I like the Gibson/Fender shapes and feeling. Definitely want passive pups.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

for qotsa, don't even think about buying an LTD or a schecter. The pickups would be far too hot and would not get the sound you are looking for. Totally go for an epiphone of some kind. The Dot would be a very excellent option.
I have my Ibanez RG220 with the bridge blocked tuned to B standard with 13-56's. Works great. 25.5" or greater scale is the most important thing here.
2009 Ibanez RG3EXFM1
2003 Ibanez RG220B
Line 6 Spider III 75
I was thinking about a fender jazzmaster too.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Mmm, I tuned my first guitar super low the other day (as in Drop G#). This is basically a cheapo rip-off LP with seymour duncan SH6/SH2n pickup combo installed and it has like 10 - 46 gauge strings on it. It was crazy loose in Drop G# but then I tuned it back up to C standard and it actually played and sounded awesome (bearing in mind I like loose strings for bends and vibrato and stuff).

Point is, you could do it on just about any guitar you want, really as long as it's got some decent pups to stay clear at lower tunings (imo anyway).
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
Mmm, I tuned my first guitar super low the other day (as in Drop G#). This is basically a cheapo rip-off LP with seymour duncan SH6/SH2n pickup combo installed and it has like 10 - 46 gauge strings on it. It was crazy loose in Drop G# but then I tuned it back up to C standard and it actually played and sounded awesome (bearing in mind I like loose strings for bends and vibrato and stuff).

Point is, you could do it on just about any guitar you want, really as long as it's got some decent pups to stay clear at lower tunings (imo anyway).

I just tuned my SG down to G, and it went out of tune after every strum, though the tension has been pulled out of them for E standard tuning, and i was playing at a low volume, but it also sounded a little muddy. It could have been my eqing though.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

The type of guitar doesn't matter. What matters is the scale length and the gauge of strings you use.

For stuff in C, I would not go any smaller than a 25.5 inch scale (most strat and super-strat style guitars) and I would not use strings any lighter than 10-52. Going any smaller/lighter than that and you will have lots of slack in the strings. While it might be easier to bend, chords are going to sound muddy and probably buzz a lot.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
The type of guitar doesn't matter. What matters is the scale length and the gauge of strings you use.

For stuff in C, I would not go any smaller than a 25.5 inch scale (most strat and super-strat style guitars) and I would not use strings any lighter than 10-52. Going any smaller/lighter than that and you will have lots of slack in the strings. While it might be easier to bend, chords are going to sound muddy and probably buzz a lot.

Well, the type of guitar does matter. Not all guitars have a 25.5 inch scale, which is what I want. Then i want to set it up with 11's. I think that will make for a good C standard guitar.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

:l
Okay. I'm pretty sure you don't need a baritone guitar to tune to C.
C's like really high anyway.
METAL!
Hey dude, that's pretty much what I'm considering to do for the exact same reason, though I need a new amp first, anyway here's my point of view.

First of all, about the scale issue, Josh homme himself proves all the people saying that 25.5 is a must wrong. All the Kyuss era was played on an Ovation Ultra GP, which is a 24.75 scale, and he still used these guitars until Songs for the deaf. Plus he still uses some epiphone semi hollow that are the same scale. I think only his Maton guitars are 25.5.

I've heard he uses absurdly heavy strings gauge, but hey, he's a big dude, I'm pretty sure you could get away with lighter strings. But you kinda need to compensate for the shorter scale.

Anyway, I was considering myself an epiphone SG g 400, maybe the custom one, just because I really like how it looks. Even though the third pickup would probably be useless... but you could get for cheaper any of these SG g 400, and it should do Qotsa okay.

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong, I've never tryed the G400... if someone has any experience with this guitar in C standard, that would be great advice.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Apr 28, 2011,
I mean, there are some CRAZY string bends, especially on QOTSA's first album, so I am not sure about the heavy sting gauge. He is giant though. I my uncle's good friends with Josh, so I could just ask him, but I don't know if he would remember me, since we only met once back stage after the show . I saw them a few weeks ago, he almost exclusively used his Matons. idk what dean uses (keyboards/guitar) but Troy (other guitarist) used a Jazzmaster and a Les Paul.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

I've also seen troy use a yamaha SG 1000, as well as his signature yamaha semi-hollow which are both short scales...

According to that interview http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/27540783, josh used some dean markley 13s (56 ?), and that's probably with his maton guitars... so one might think he used heavier strings for the shorter scales.

But from what I know, all the Qotsa guys are very secret about their sound, so it might be difficult for you to get more accurate info. But hey, if you can talk to Josh directly, lucky you then !

Really what I meant though is that if josh himself can get away with "cheap" epiphones and sound how he does, you should be able to get a decent sound with most guitars, no matter the scale length.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Apr 29, 2011,