used to play electric a while ago but gave it up after falling in love with acoustic so im not a complete beginer, played a shitty old second hand ashton. looking to get back into it, probably going to be playing it on a roland cube im only 17 so im going to get it for my birthday so Looking for something relatively cheap, about $400 Australian tops. i want to play mainly music like avenged sevenfold, iron maiden sort of nu metal stuff, i was going to get a schecter omen 6 but the guy said he changed his mind and wanted to keep it.
would like floyd rose but not essential, i always see people recommending ibanez guitars, any ideas on an ibanez art300 and the Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Thanks
Frenchy
i will go into the local store soon, but i would just like you guys opinion, as your all top blokes and seem to know a shit tonne
I played a great RG370 the other day. Almost as nice as my RG770. Took a lot of self control to leave it at the shop.
The RG370 isn't a bad guitar, but cheap locking trems are a pain in the ass for beginners and cheap ones easily wear out. I wouldn't reccommend the guitar purely for that reason.

Don't just limit yourself to Ibanez guitars. Its a good idea to experiemnt with different brands aimed at a similar market, such as Jackson and LTD. Have a look at Jackson's JS series or X series. They are good guitars for the price and a lot of them play really well. Have a look at some LTD's that are in your price range as well. They solidly built and would make a good platform for modding later down the line.

At the pricepoint you have, i would avoid guitars with locking trems, especially if you detune often, which i imagine you will be doing lots of, since you play a lot nu-metal, which is tuned pretty low and you play lots of Maiden, which is played in standard tuning.

Cheap trems can be a nightmare and can take a lot of the fun out of playing. Stick with a fixed bridge for now until you understand how trems work and you can afford a guitar with a decent trem system. Since you'll be doing lots of drop tunings, i wouldn't recommend ANY trem at all unless you are willing to just stick with one tuning OR you can afford multiple guitars in different tunings.

EDIT: If you are very keen on Ibanez guitars, i would reccommend the RG321EX
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 28, 2011,
thanks man, all best men on here, if i asked in the shop thed just be like"yeah man its sounds rad buy this one"
also, cant find a rg321ex.
in Australia the prices seem to be different eg: looked up the rg370 online on my local shops website and its going for $849
Ive narrowed it down to a ibanez art300 or Ibanez RG3EXFM1
professional opinions or does anyone have either of them?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The RG370 isn't a bad guitar, but cheap locking trems are a pain in the ass for beginners and cheap ones easily wear out. I wouldn't reccommend the guitar purely for that reason.

Don't just limit yourself to Ibanez guitars. Its a good idea to experiemnt with different brands aimed at a similar market, such as Jackson and LTD. Have a look at Jackson's JS series or X series. They are good guitars for the price and a lot of them play really well. Have a look at some LTD's that are in your price range as well. They solidly built and would make a good platform for modding later down the line.

At the pricepoint you have, i would avoid guitars with locking trems, especially if you detune often, which i imagine you will be doing lots of, since you play a lot nu-metal, which is tuned pretty low and you play lots of Maiden, which is played in standard tuning.

Cheap trems can be a nightmare and can take a lot of the fun out of playing. Stick with a fixed bridge for now until you understand how trems work and you can afford a guitar with a decent trem system. Since you'll be doing lots of drop tunings, i wouldn't recommend ANY trem at all unless you are willing to just stick with one tuning OR you can afford multiple guitars in different tunings.

EDIT: If you are very keen on Ibanez guitars, i would reccommend the RG321EX

Lots of wisdom here.

That's the paradox of the metal guitar--you need a Floyd Rose to dive like Gates (who plays in Drop D almost all the time), but then you'll need another guitar for Maiden, and another guitar if you want to go lower like Dethklock. That's why I got 3 guitars with Floyd Roses.

As for cheap Floyds, I have to disagree. On the cheap side, I have a an Edge III like on the RG370, and a Schecter LFR. On the expensive side I have an Ibanez original Edge re-issue. All 3 work like a champ, haven't worn out in 3 years so far, despite lots of whammy abuse (playing). But I don't abuse it with the setup or maintenance. Like I don't adjust the action with tension on the strings with the Ibanezes because that would dull the knife edge. Also I don't overtighten the saddles.

All 3 of these trems stay perfectly in tune between string changes (6 months has been the longest so far). But it does take me a couple of hours to change the strings and stretch them completely before locking down the nut to get that kind of stability. And if I expose them to a temperature change, then all bets are off and they take equally as long to get back in tune.

Cheap Floyds get a bad rap because lots of inexperienced people own them and learn (or don't learn) lessons the hard way with them. Typically higher-end trem owners will have more experience and have figured it out better by then (or have a tech to take care of it for them).

Deep whammy dives and high whammy bends are half the fun of playing A7X, and you just can't do that with a fixed bridge or with a vintage trem like on a regular Strat. They don't have half the range you need, and they'll come out of tune before the end of the song.

So you have to choose your priorities. Just don't expect to change tunings with Floyd Rose--unless you don't mind taking hours every time you want to change it. And when you're really serious, you'll want heavier strings for lower tunings anyway. Even before you get serious it will help you play better. So ultimately if you like playing in different tunings you should have a guitar for each tuning anyway.

Better post to celebrate NGD when you make your choice and harvest your prey.

Take care.
Quote by jetwash69
Lots of wisdom here.

Thank you. You are sigged sir
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee