Hi,

I'm new to guitar, I've been playing for about 6 months pretty casually, just teaching myself using stuff like tabs and video lessons. I use an acoustic guitar but want to play electric. I have a Monterey guitar which came in a beginner's pack with an amp but the sound on it is pretty shit. So I'm looking at buying an Ibanez RGA32
and getting some EMG 81 humbuckers for it.

The only problem is I am clueless when it comes to amps, I've readthe guides and stuff but I'm not really confident about it. So hopefully someone can recommend me an amp/s to check out.

I want to spend around $200-300 but could spend a little bit more if it's worth it.

I mostly play metalcore stuff (Between the Buried and Me, Protest the Hero, August Burns Red, The Human Abstract, Parkway Drive) and post-hardcore (Thrice, At the Drive-In, Story of the Year). So pretty much __core.

I only play at home as a hobby.

I live in a fairly isolated state in Australia so buying used could be hard for me so I'm looking for new. One of the problems is I've looked online so far only and the prices here are horrible compared to what I've looked at overseas. Would it be a bad idea to get one from overseas to save money?

Thanks.
My first amp was a Fender Frontman 15R. It cost about $250 (I think, it was a while ago) in Melbourne, and it was a pretty decent amp. I'm not too sure about metalcore stuff through it, though.
Look at Roland's amps. You could get a 15 or 30 watt Cube for about $300, and any guitar shop would have them, I think. They'll give you lots of choice on tones, and will come with a couple of built in effects as well.
And, about buying from overseas, I don't like the idea of buying from overseas. You don't know what state your amp will come in, and it will be difficult to send it back on warranty. Also, shipping could cost a lot and you might be subject to taxes (bloody government!).
Hope that helps
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Spend more on the amp than than on the guitar. thats where almost all of your tone comes from. If you can buy overseas, get a Peavey 6505+ 112, or one of the Bugera clones.

If you can't buy overseas, your best bet will be a Peavey Vypyr. Try to get at least the 30W.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Don't worry about pickups for now. Put the EMG money towards the amp. The amp's what's going to ultimately determine your tone, so you can't cheap out on it. Pups are secondary and won't be of any use if the amp isn't good.

You want high-gain tones, and those don't come cheap. The cheapest solution would be to look into Bugera amplifiers, the 6260, 6262 and 333 (XL) models in particular. They cost far more than what you're planning on spending rigt now, but forget about EMGs and you might swing it. If necessary, it's better to postpone buying an RGA and go for a proper amp instead. RGAs are nice, very nice indeed, but be aware that a great guitar through a shit amp (which is all you'll get with 300AU new) will sound like shit, while a decent guitar through a nice enough amp (like a Bugera) will actually sound good.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
Don't worry about pickups for now. Put the EMG money towards the amp. The amp's what's going to ultimately determine your tone, so you can't cheap out on it. Pups are secondary and won't be of any use if the amp isn't good.

You want high-gain tones, and those don't come cheap. The cheapest solution would be to look into Bugera amplifiers, the 6260, 6262 and 333 (XL) models in particular. They cost far more than what you're planning on spending rigt now, but forget about EMGs and you might swing it. If necessary, it's better to postpone buying an RGA and go for a proper amp instead. RGAs are nice, very nice indeed, but be aware that a great guitar through a shit amp (which is all you'll get with 300AU new) will sound like shit, while a decent guitar through a nice enough amp (like a Bugera) will actually sound good.

How much would I be looking at to get a "nice enough" amp?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Well, Bugeras and the 6505+ 112 combo are pretty much the cheapest good metal amps. Whatever they cost in Aus. There are cheaper alternatives, but they either don't sound as nice (Peavey Vypyr 30/75/100) or are not voiced for modern high gain tones (Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube, Jet City JCA2112), so they're not optimal.
I found a Bugera 6260 212 Combo online for $550, I'm probably gonna buy that, thanks for the help.