I noticed this a while ago but never thought much of it. My peavey rage 158 amp works fine. But for some reason the pregain on the dist channel also affects the clean channel.

I play with the amp's gain at max usually, which is great, but if I turn it down from say, 10 to 7 or 8 while on the clean channel, it gets a lot more treble in it, which I find really odd.

It's more noticeable with my MT-2 pedal plugged in. On the clean channel with the dist's pregain maxed, it sounds pretty smooth. Enjoyable distortion. If I turn the preamp gain down, (while still on the clean channel) it gets that characteristic MT-2 fizz and shrill to it.

Anyone got any idea as to why it happens? Some sort of crosswiring thing or what?

(Also yay first thread in like, two years?)
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Probably just on it's last legs.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
I paid about $150 for it actually. I won't start on how much NZ sucks in this thread. And i doubt it's on its way out. It's only a few years old.

I just wondered if anyone knew the reason why two channels that are presumably seperate within an amplifier would have the potential to still impact each other in such an odd fasion.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Channels commonly aren't really seperate, they usually share a lot of parts, while other parts are switched on or off depending on what channel is selected. There are amps that have completely seperate preamp-channels, but that's pricey and therefore rare (and it's also not often necessary).

I can't really help you with your particular problem though, as I don't know the Rage 158 inside-out, but there's a couple of techs on this forum who might have an idea. Just wait for one to post I guess.
you're right!!

I've had this amp 6 years and never noticed that - how strange!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Hah, 403 error. But yeah cheers quailman

And interesting to see others haven't noticed it yet.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo