I'm looking for a good cheap noise gate for about 40 to 50 pounds to stop hum and feedback.

Any ideas on what are decent pedals???
The ISP Decimator is the best pedal out there in my opinion, but is out of your price range. They sell for about £70-80 used or £100 new. I recently sold mine and am now really regretting it.

I've heard the MXR smart gate is good, but I've not tried this, again this is above the budget you mention.

I previously owned an Artec noise gate and found this to be pretty crap....
The NS-2 works quite well for me, and I just run it direct. I've heard people can get better results running it in the effects loop, anyone who's tried that feel free to back that up or refute it.
I used to own the NS-2 but sold it as I found it sucked allot of my tone when running it either in front of the amp or in the effects loop. It's worth saving/spending the extra £30/40 or so and getting the ISP Decimator.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
id say just save up for the isp, its not much more and it makes the difference.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Mark G
NS-2 is good, ISP decimator is better.

+1

if you really can't stretch to the decimator and can use the x-pattern connection (i.e. in your fx loop), then the ns2 will do the job.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Rocktron Hush and Noise gate is pretty good. it get the job done for me.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
The NS-2 run in the "X-pattern" gets the job done very well for me. I haven't noticed any major tone suckage either.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
i have and currently use the NS-2 both infront of the amp and sometimes in the x pattern and i love it, as soon as i hooked it up i wandered how i had gone 4 years with out it. now i dont play without it. and for the price its really great.
Has anyone compared the NS-2 with the ISP side by side? What is the difference between the two that makes people say the ISP is better?
Quote by DroptuneD
The NS-2 run in the "X-pattern" gets the job done very well for me. I haven't noticed any major tone suckage either.

Regarding the tone suckage, it greatly depends on the amplifier and gear it is used with. I used a boss NS-2 with a B-52 AT 112, and it sucked tone. Used it with my ENGL Blackmore, and it didn't. Used it with a Peavey Valveking and it sucked tone, used it with a Mesa Dual and it sucked even more tone.

It explains the mixed reviews. To be fair, at gigging volumes any difference in tone due to the NS-2 is virtually inaudible.

Quote by CantShred
Has anyone compared the NS-2 with the ISP side by side? What is the difference between the two that makes people say the ISP is better?

Personal experience for me. NS-2 just doesn't mesh with a lot of amplifiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkB4csSmoRU
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 28, 2011,
Thanks Mark, and are you referring to running it in the X pattern, DI, or in the FX loop?

I'm asking because I've only ever used the NS-2, and while I have no complaints - it's always nice to know there's something to 'upgrade' to.
I run the NS-2 in front of the amp AND in the loop.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by CantShred
Thanks Mark, and are you referring to running it in the X pattern, DI, or in the FX loop?

I'm asking because I've only ever used the NS-2, and while I have no complaints - it's always nice to know there's something to 'upgrade' to.

Well if the NS-2 doesn't suck with your setup there's no point in "upgrading". Like I said, its tone sucking varies from rig to rig. And live, it doesn't matter at all imo. The room acoustics will nullify any valid difference.

I tried it in the FX loop, and in the X pattern. I never used it just DI, as there was no need. My guitars were all EMGs at the time and they aren't very noisy. My noise came from the preamp and effects loop effects.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by CantShred

yeah, i have both.

The decimator is just more transparent in use, and its buffer is better too when it's not on. Also I noticed the boss had a little bit of a boost, too (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's still not as transparent as the decimator).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?