Hey guys, my band plays mainly in drop d. We are a thrashened death metal band. But my question is when we play together when jamming we always get lost with adding that oomph to our riffs, we refuse to tune down. We are inspired by Death, Trivium, Metallica and Testament, but what should we do to get some more attack in our riffs like say Testament and Death.
Do you have a sample of any of your current riffs?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by !-twisty-!
Do you have a sample of any of your current riffs?

My youtube account, Shreddinkevin93. Buts thats mainly all the metalcore stuff
While in drop D you aren't limited to just the things on the first three strings and the first 5 frets. Listen to and experiment with other chord progressions and riffs. Even adding "Oomph" doesn't have to mean going nuts with your long hair (maybe) all over the place playing the gnarliest tremolo picking ever. Sometimes simple is better.
Quote by demonseed34
While in drop D you aren't limited to just the things on the first three strings and the first 5 frets. Listen to and experiment with other chord progressions and riffs. Even adding "Oomph" doesn't have to mean going nuts with your long hair (maybe) all over the place playing the gnarliest tremolo picking ever. Sometimes simple is better.

Like a good band that I love for inspiration is Six Feet Under, not sure if you have heard of them, but if you have what could I do to get that simple yet heavy song
BTDubs: Some barre chords sound beautiful in Drop D. An example would be the Barres in the verses of BFMV's "Hearts Burst Into Fire". Try playing around with them, I'm sure they would fit perfectly in one or two of your songs.
Quote by demonseed34
BTDubs: Some barre chords sound beautiful in Drop D. An example would be the Barres in the verses of BFMV's "Hearts Burst Into Fire". Try playing around with them, I'm sure they would fit perfectly in one or two of your songs.

Hmm maybe, we are trying to branch out to more like Testament meets Death, and All That Remains
Stop refuseing to tune down......Don't play in drop D, play in drop C# like Dime Bag or system of a down....
First Stop tuning like Metallica . I love playing Metalica tunes Too... But I tune my Guitar 1/2 step down like Slayer & jimi Hendrix (tune your guitar to voodoo child).. Then I Drop it to C# not D. you might find it hard to get to hit C# just right if so you could change your top E string to a thicker gage string (52) reserch Donlop strings they make a few sets just for drop C# kerry king set and the zack wild set (if you have a tremelo I would go with the Kerry king set.)
Oh yea! One more thing..... listen to More Slayer!!!
Quote by Rockstarscat
Stop refuseing to tune down......Don't play in drop D, play in drop C# like Dime Bag or system of a down....
First Stop tuning like Metallica . I love playing Metalica tunes Too... But I tune my Guitar 1/2 step down like Slayer & jimi Hendrix (tune your guitar to voodoo child).. Then I Drop it to C# not D. you might find it hard to get to hit C# just right if so you could change your top E string to a thicker gage string (52) reserch Donlop strings they make a few sets just for drop C# kerry king set and the zack wild set (if you have a tremelo I would go with the Kerry king set.)

I have a floyd on my guitars, I love the drop d tuning, and I don't really like Slayer.
Quote by Rockstarscat

Stop being a pansy, you can make things sound heavy in any tuning.

Also to TS, try getting off the bass notes a bit and leaving some room for the bassist to breathe and cut through, that will add much more punch than you expect

EDIT: after look up your youtube channel, you may also want to work on your rythm playing, tight rythm makes everything sound just "nice"
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Last edited by !-twisty-! at Apr 28, 2011,
i would suggest you take a look at amon amarth not exactly thrash, but really heavy (although they tune down)

they are, in my opinion, the best example for heavynes with very simple riff, for metal standards.
Guitar: IBANEZ RGIR20BFE-WNF
Strings: Ernie Ball .010 - .052
Amp: Yamaha THR10X | Orange Micro Dark
Effects: Boss MetalCore ML-2, Zoom 505 II, CryBaby
Quote by Shreddinkevin
I have a floyd on my guitars, I love the drop d tuning, and I don't really like Slayer.

Thats ok slayer is just a good example on how to set up your guitar for death metal. there are a lot youtube vids on this, also there are some youtube videos with dime bag teaching some of his own riffs. (Must see) Going to post the link to these videos BRB