im looking for a new guitar and im a sucker for 80s guitars lol but i already have a shit ton of Ibanez guitars and im looking for a brand thats kind of off the beaten path, so im not into getting a Gibson bcrich Fender Ibanez Jackson Krammer or Charvel. i was hoping someone had suggestions of some odd ball brands i should check out. any help is appreciated thanks
The 80's guitars are Peavey, Jackson, Ibanez, Charvel, and Hamer. Those are the brands that jump to mind at least - any superstrat will do in a gaudy, homoerotic color, non counter sunk Floyd, and a single bridge bucker.
Like a Random Star?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Number one selling guitar in the 80's...Kramer. Kramer's scream 80's metal but not what you are looking for.

My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
You could try a Dean ML, most people don't like them around here but my MLX was a pretty good guitar for the $400 I spent on it and they just put out a higher-end model. Only advice I have is, don't touch anything with Dimebag Darrell's name on it, fantastic player(at least IMO), but they're horribly butchering his name. Other than that, ESP makes some Star-shaped guitars, I believe, but I'm not sure what they're called(I DO know, however, that Gus G has one in a Black Cherry-type finish and I'm going to sneak into his house while he's not looking and steal it), and Jackson and Charvel make them custom but I don't think they make any production models, sadly. I'd kill for a Star too, TBH, but since I'm lefty I'm stuck ordering a Warmoth body/neck and putting in all the hardware myself.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Take a look at Carvin guitars. Great guitars; very popular in the 1980s and a lot of their 80s designs are still in production.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The Charvel model series from the 80's go for pretty cheap on Ebay and what not.

They're MIJ by the way.
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Warlocks were pretty 80s. I stole an old mij tokai random star off ebay for 250 bucks...just gotta look and be open to buying something fairly used with the faith that you'll overhaul it haha
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
As someone who grew up in the late 70's and through the 80's Kramer is numero uno, hell even the crappy striker series can be good guitars as long as you make a few mods.
Look for any 80's Jackson, Charvel or American Kramer.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Thanks for the help, Ive decided to go with a Kramer ( I've given up on the star) but what misled are good? I have a friend that had a Kramer (idk what model) that was just junk, are there any models I should steer clear of?
Quote by ibanez2011
Thanks for the help, Ive decided to go with a Kramer ( I've given up on the star) but what misled are good? I have a friend that had a Kramer (idk what model) that was just junk, are there any models I should steer clear of?

The Aerostar,Striker,and 100 series. The 100 series will be named: 100st,200st,600st all these should be avoided.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend will be what model you can get into. The best cheapest would have to be the Focus line. Same parts as the USA series built by ESP but with cheaper electronics,even comes with a OFR. If you are looking to do the pick up upgrading yourself that is the best route. I built my Focus for $225. It has a Focus 1000 body (single hum)and has a focus 6000 neck. I see them sell upwards to $300-$350.

My #1 player and the best bang for the buck has to be the Pacer. Just killer guitars. Prices vary but I've seen them sell up to $750,I bought my 85 nana for $650. The pacer series common models are the Deluxe (pickguard with a HSS set up)and the Imperial (HH set up no pickguard). Keep an eye out for killer deals too. I got my 83 Imperial from a hick town pawn shop population 1000 I paid $125. Guitar was in beautiful shape too.

So many different treats came out of that factory. If you have any questions on any Kramers you are looking at buying you are more then welcome to PM me or go to VintageKramer.com great bunch of guys over there with a full knowledge of Kramers. They made so many different guitars it can be confusing so go check them out.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt