Hello UG,

I just wan't to know what would make a bigger/better difference in tone.

1. I would upgrade the pups in my Blacktop tele. (from the stock pick ups)
or
2. Change out the speakers form my 212 hotrod deville. (fender stock speakers)

I am sort of going for a Radiohead type tone.

I dont want to spend over $200, but i can if i have too.

Please tell me if you need more info!

-Radiohead_u2
speakers
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Quote by Radiohead_u2
Wow! I though it would be the other way around!

What speakers would you guys suggest?

honestly for $200 i think it would be kind of tough to get a radiohead type of tone.

http://guitarplayer.wordpress.com/2008/11/28/how-to-sound-like-radioheads-jonny-greenwood/

Check that out. I mean if he is using AC30's very british sounding he will have Celestion Alnico Blues which are available for the low low price of $295/speaker. A good alternative would be to check out Weber Speakers who make some cheap alternative Alnico's. You dont have to get their 'blue dog' but they have other alnico magnets, hand built in the USA, custom built to order, takes about 3 weeks but a really great quality product. I think that is a lot to do in order to achieve that sound though. The deville is a great amp on its own.

How is your rig not sounding like radiohead, what areas is it lacking. I think this is too broad of a question to be pickups or speakers
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by thejester
honestly for $200 i think it would be kind of tough to get a radiohead type of tone.

http://guitarplayer.wordpress.com/2008/11/28/how-to-sound-like-radioheads-jonny-greenwood/

Check that out. I mean if he is using AC30's very british sounding he will have Celestion Alnico Blues which are available for the low low price of $295/speaker. A good alternative would be to check out Weber Speakers who make some cheap alternative Alnico's. You dont have to get their 'blue dog' but they have other alnico magnets, hand built in the USA, custom built to order, takes about 3 weeks but a really great quality product. I think that is a lot to do in order to achieve that sound though. The deville is a great amp on its own.

thanks man!

Quote by thejester
How is your rig not sounding like radiohead, what areas is it lacking. I think this is too broad of a question to be pickups or speakers

Well...... i am not going for the total radiohead sound or anything. I just wanted to up my tone. I used radiohead so you guys could get a sense of what i was going for.
Quote by Radiohead_u2
thanks man!
Well...... i am not going for the total radiohead sound or anything. I just wanted to up my tone. I used radiohead so you guys could get a sense of what i was going for.

Ok great understood. Well to be honest with you I think speakers could make a big difference but not sure its a great way to upgrade your sound. From my experience, and please take everything with a grain of salt as this is all my opinion, i have found that the fender hot rod series sound pretty darn good with the speakers they have. also i think the blackouts pickups are pretty decent as well.

problem being is if you put different speakers in the deville, thats great but hold on to the originals incase you want to sell it ever, very rarely do people not want the OEM version of the amp, because pepole want to do their own upgrades not buy someone elses. so maybe look into some effects. for good quality speakers though i dont think $200 is feasible. you would probably honestly have to be more about $300 and i personally dont think even that would be a noticeable change to justify that money.

none the less good luck with whatever you decide!
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I don't know where you are located, but check craigslist often that's my advice to anyone. I'm broke right now, but their is a guy selling a green back 4x12 for $200 cause his head broke and he can't afford to fix it. What I'm saying is lots of deals spring up there, nearly all my gear is craigslist bought. I would suggest maybe along side pedals, is putting 1 meg no load pots in your tele, I think I read someone the tele deluxe/custom I forget which he plays, has a very bright sounding tone from the pickups, and people have suggested that putting 1 meg no load pots allows you to switch to that sound for say $6 rather than drop $400 on some vintage cunife originals.

Also, if it works for you that's cool, but the hot rod series amps have linear pots on the volume and a few other places they shouldn't be for sales reasons. If you find it goes from quiet to loud too fast, then I suggest paying a tech or if you know what you're doing fix that someday. (nothing to do with tone)