I need a new amp and tube amps sound amazing but I have a budget of around £160. anyone know where I can get one?
sure, but how loud does it need to be and what type of tones do you need?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sure, but how loud does it need to be and what type of tones do you need?

I play music such as Avenged sevenfold,Syestem Of A Down and Green Day and my guitar is a Schecter Synyster Standard and it doesn't need to be too loud as I only intend to use it for home practice.
Damn, that's a tough one. Used Laney LC15 with a distortion pedal? You can grab older LC15s for 100 quid on ebay, that leaves enough for a decent dirt box.
Dave, you had one of the Fame distortion boxes, didn't you? Is it any good?

If it has to be a new amp, you'll probably be happier with a solid state modeller. Not really many high-gain tube amps to be found new for 160.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 28, 2011,
nah i chickened out of the fames

Interestingly woodbrass in paris has a sale on at the moment (I just saw it today, someone linked to them in another thread), they seem to do rebranded biyangs too under the eagletone brand, and a couple of their distortions are in the sale. But postage is only free over 139 euro...

eagletone seem to have a couple of tube amps too, they have a 5 watter and 15 watter, both of which have two channels (shared eq)... they might be complete crap (and I doubt the 5 watter gets that high gain, either that or there are ss shenanigans going on ), but at that kind of money you don't have too many options. I think the hot rod valve junior head was in their sale too.

I've never used them, though. but i've seen plenty of people talking about them, i'd assume they're legit (but i don't know for sure, obviously).

regarding pedals, I have a tonerider distortion which is pretty good for the money (£50) but even it sounds better with an OD pushing it... and even with all that doesn't sound as good as a good tube amp's distortion channel.

EDIT: ^ he wants a tube amp

That being said, even though the blackstars have SS shenanigans out the wazzoo, they might be worth a try, because as quail says, there aren't too many cheap high gain tube amps around.

If you want tube, your options are basically either:

- save up more
- get a lower gain cheaper tube amp and try to persuade it to get high gain with pedals
- go for one of the better hybrids (i.e. actual hybrids, not ones with like one pissy 12ax7) like blackstar
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by ThomasL94
Get a Blackstar HT-1. Can't go wrong with Blackstar.

Yeh very good sounding amp for the price.
linky

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/eagletone-raging-15r-p82194.html

what do you think quail?

mightn't get that high gain, but with (presumably) 4 gain stages it (again, presumably, I haven't tried it) should be able to get a bit.

Might sound like ass though at that price
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, 4 gain stages is plenty. Should get a healthy amount of drive. But I'm not sure. I mean, I'd buy it myself just cause it looks good on paper, but I'm not sure I want to recommend it to someone else without having played it first. If TS blows his money on this and it's not good, he has no money left and still needs a rig.
excellent point.

Agreed.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i think they're on sale. there's a big thing on the front page about it. For about the next week or so, iirc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hehe i don't really need or want one

which makes a change
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got a valveking on ebay for $200 USD. Similar amount i believe.
-ltd mh-350fr
-ltd ec-401
-Ibanez RGA42FM
-peavey valveking 112
-line 6 spider iii 30 watt
-pedalz
Quote by Dave_Mc
linky

http://www.woodbrass.com/en/eagletone-raging-15r-p82194.html

what do you think quail?

mightn't get that high gain, but with (presumably) 4 gain stages it (again, presumably, I haven't tried it) should be able to get a bit.

Might sound like ass though at that price
Hard to see how you could go wrong with that amp. How much can go wrong to make it sound like ass. Even if the gain tone isn't good just run it clean with pedals. I never cared for the gain tones on my Classic 30. And not too much for them on my Tweaker either.
Just got one of these several days ago on craigslist: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC4TV/

It's an all-tube 4-watt 1x10 combo. I personally LOVE the distortion, it breaks up really nicely with the volume at 11:00 or above, although I play more classic rock-type stuff. I know it doesn't quite have the System of a Down/Avenged Sevenfold look but you should check it out if you can. Listen to the sound samples on the Sweetwater website (they get some pretty high gain sounds), and check out youtube demos too. If you can try it out in person you definitely should. Really amazing deal for the money. Sorry that it's an American website, I believe $250 is about £150.
Yamaha FG295S
LR Baggs A1 pickup