Hi

I have an old guitar that I would like to put new strings on. While I play for the new strings to arrive, can I rub small amounts of cola on the old strings to clean them?
It works with pennies XD

Also, how does one go about cleaning pickup covers easily? There are some stubborn fingerprints on them. Could I just use a slightly moist cloth with a tiny amount of washing up liquid?
I do not want to remove the covers to do this.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
If the covers are made of metal you can shine them right up with some brasso or polish... I'd not use any other household chemicals because they tend to like to oxidize which does not look good. Water and a cloth would do the trick.

Also, cola does that because it forms small amount of carbonic acid which corrodes metal (the effect you are referring to). So unless you want to seriously dirty your fretboard and corrode your old strings, don't put soda on them...
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
There are alot of different string cleaners available to buy fairly cheap, cola is not one of them. dont do that.
Ok the strings aren't a problem now. I just rushed out to buy a set.
Now, any other takers for pickup cleaning?
I just want to be sure about what I'm doing :p
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
alcohol is great for cleaning up pickups. I use a small amount of methylated spirit (denatured alcohol if you are in the USA) on a rag. Don't get any on the body of the guitar though because it can damage the finish.
Not taking any online orders.
Have you tried just using a damp cloth? Always a safe place to start...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X