Hey everyone,

I went to a couple of music stores yesterday, and tried out some guitars (since I'm looking into getting a new one). I always wanted a Gibson, so I decided to try the Gibson ES-335...

... and damn, what a sound you can get from that one. The ES was originally made for big band type of music, jazz and blues, but you can actually play real distorted rock music on it as well.

Anyway, here's my question:
Since I only (basically) play 60s and 70s rock, I need my guitars to have a whammy bar, and I was wondering if you guys know if the Gibson ES series are still produced with a whammy bar/tremolo arm? I know that some older models have the Bigsby whammy bar/tremolo arm, but I haven't had any luck finding new ones. And what could the price difference be, between a standard ES-335, and a ES-335 with a whammy bar?

P.S Yes, I have tried the Gibson SG (but I don't like it; the feel of the guitar is something I would describe as 'flat', and I don't like it). I also tried a Strat, but I'm not sure if I want it. Gibson feels closer to my heart, and that's why I'm leaning towards getting an ES (if I can find it with a whammy bar).

Have a good weekend!
Last edited by icep at Apr 28, 2011,
You should be able to install a Bigsby. I think the archtop model runs like $85 new? Easy install, too.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Last edited by Pink Muse at Apr 28, 2011,
Yeah I thought of that, but I'm not sure whether the new models have that 'hole' to put a tremolo in? I should probably drop by one of the stores some day and ask them.

Thanks, Pink Muse!
There was the ES-355 in production until last year, but I don't see it on Gibson's website anymore, so I guess it has been discontinued.
It's based on the ES-345, so it's stereo and some of them are equipped with the infamous Varitone. I think it's a great feature and it adds a wide array of sounds, but it isn't for everybody's tase apparently.

And adding a Bigsby is easy, yes, but it does change the sound of your guitar. But you can always take it off without doing any modification to your guitar :-)
Yeah, Matt.

Personally, I would love to get the ES-345... a original, from back when it came. Now though, they are only sold as custom re-issues, and the price is pretty high. It's not the kind of money I'd like to spend on a guitar, since I'm just a student.

2,500 USD is as far as I can go... but that's tops! Not anymore than that. It's a shame, because the ES-345 with a whammy looks incredible, and sounds incredible
ES-339 FTW. It's about an inch thinner and sounds just as badass, while being a very comfortable player. It's also cheaper than the 335.
There are very few Bigsby vibratos that require routing. The one you'd be looking to install on a 335-type does not. Just buy a 335 + a Bigsby B5 and screw the thing on.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Kangaxxter, does it not alter the sound (too much) by screwing one on by yourself?
Quote by icep
Kangaxxter, does it not alter the sound (too much) by screwing one on by yourself?

I know ritchie blackmore had one. It was his weapon of choice before he found the Stratocaster. The tone will change somewhat, anything you do to a guitar will change it's tone, though I doubt that it matters whether you do it or if someone else does it.

EDIT: If you watch that video to the 4 minute mark there's a really nice solo where it's literally just Ritchie.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter

The tone will change somewhat, anything you do to a guitar will change it's tone, though I doubt that it matters whether you do it or if someone else does it.

Haha, yeah of course. I was thinking in a sense that there might be a difference if someone in a store does it, rather than me... haha!

Quote by kangaxxter
I know ritchie blackmore had one.

Oh, cool... I had no idea (well, that's mostly cause I only remember him using a Fender).

Jorma Kaukonen also used the ES-345. He could go from more distorted sounds to cleaner, AND razor toned sounds

It really seems like the ultimate guitar for me - the ES! I loved it when I tried it at the store anyway.
Quote by icep

Oh, cool... I had no idea (well, that's mostly cause I only remember him using a Fender).

Yeah, he used a 335 before getting a Fender. The only thing is that there will be 2 hole where you remove the stopbar for the Tune-O-matic.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
You could get a Vibramate too, means you don't have to screw anything directly into the wood of the guitar
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
What those guys said about the Vibramate is completly true.

I have one on my Tele and it was incredibly easy to install. The tricky part is getting used to putting strings on the Bigsby. The Vibramate will run you another $75 or so depending which one you need but its most certainly worth it as there is no drilling in the guitar or anything like that. Just make sure you buy the Original Bigsby and not the Licensed one. The Licensed one will not fit with the Vibramate.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!