I'm presently in two bands (singer and rhythm guitarist in both) have one member who insists on making everything his way. In one of the bands, the lead guitarist puts way to much energy in the wrong areas. He insists that we don't take breaks and that we're constantly working, but yet all he focuses on is coming up with Beck-like bizarre lyrics and funny names. I don't want to be in a comedy band, but both the lead guitarist and the drummer are great and I'd like to be able to have a legitimate band with them

I have more confidence in my other band, as that's definitely headed in a better direction and we're working on writing songs and getting gigs as opposed to squabbling over whether or not we're going to cover AC/DC. However, the drummer in this band is constantly throwing a hissy fit, whether it be about the name, the arrangement of the song we're working on, or asserting that he should handle drumming as well as lead vocals. In the first band I'm strongly considering quitting, but I'd like to keep the other band going as smoothly as possible, how can I deal with this guy?
First band - mature people are had to come by. Tell him to get serious, maybe suggest some real lyrics, and real song titles. If the rest of the band is backing you up and agrees with you, anyway. if they're all just as immature as the guitarist, it may be a lost cause.

Second band - Replace the drummer? Some drummers dont feel right just providing a back beat. Maybe get him to do more complex stuff, things that he can't possible sing at the same time to. Again, maturity kind of is a hard trait to come by, and if he cant deal with a name, it may again be a lost cause. Songs can be arranged in thousands of ways. Play a song or two diffferently live, just to make the drummer happy.

OR you could possibly take the drummer from band one and plop him in band two.
I'm a drummer, guitarist, bassist, songwriter, and vocalist. It's good to be balanced.
hi chris,
here's my advice.
set some goals short and long term.
work out before hand what everyone everyone is expected to do and what they can expect.
if people are professional they should be open to doing this .
if not then perhaps find a band who is willing to do this ?
Heys guys, I am in both of the bands Chris is in. Bass in band one, lead guitar in band two. Band one is fun and goofy but really hard to take serious though. I have little to no ambition for it.

Band two is going well, but our drummer problem is tough because Chris and I were the two who originally started the band, and we wrote a song, and the drummer gets some good beats in there and seems to enjoy it when we get stuff done. But he insists on changing the name, in fact he called it "super freaking gay", and says chris shouldn't sing.

Our practices are at my house, and I'm considering kicking him.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
What would keep you from taking the drummer from band one and transplanting him into band two? (Just being hypothetical, here, so saying that it can't be done won't get you anywhere.)
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
What would keep you from taking the drummer from band one and transplanting him into band two? (Just being hypothetical, here, so saying that it can't be done won't get you anywhere.)

This

or just get a new drummer for band 2, it really doesn't matter that they are "so great, and there are no other drummers like him/her" because its just not true. although I recommend talking to him about it first. you know the whole "grow some balls and deal with it, or leave" thing...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by Sitkemkev

OR you could possibly take the drummer from band one and plop him in band two.

YUUUP!!
Play "Band Member Mr. Potato Head"

Take the best and least crappy people, set a guideline and organizational system to make sure it works right from the start