My next thing to get for the my band is a decent little PA system. I've already got an unpowered mixer, which I've been told will work just fine with a set of powered speakers. My question is, how many watts should I be looking at for each speaker? All I know is that 75watts of tube amp is not nearly what 75watts of vocals is...
The better route is going through power amps to unpowered speakers, at least that's what i prefer to do when I'm doing sound for a couple local bands. You'll have more headroom so clipping out on vox wont be so easy to do.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
honestly man, thats what I thought. I decided to go against my better judgement and ask the retards at guitar center...

can you give me a ballpark estimate for wattage though? i'm clueless
mine the power amp is 1600Watts and that was enough for our metal band.
i also had a another 600 watt power amp for our monitors.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
yeah, I agree that getting a power amp is a better option than powered speakers.

I like having a seperate amp in case something breaks, your whole speaker isn't basically junk.

Anyway, how much juice you need will depend entirely on how big the venue is, what you're putting into the PA.... lots of variables. If it's just vocals, and the venue isn't terribly large, then you can probably get away with a fairly small amp.... maybe something like 100-200W. But when it comes to PA gear, bigger is always better. That little 100W system may be fine for now, but inevitably you're gonna run into a situation where you want more channels, more power, etc, etc.

EDIT:

My PA is a 12 channel with 2X400W amps for mains, and 2X400W amps for 2 monitor mixes. It will get incredibly loud even at around half on the master.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Apr 28, 2011,
how much are you looking to spend for a pa. also what mixer do you currently have? Will it just be used for vocals? If your mixer isn't great it might be better to get a powered mixer, peavey make decent ones that you can get used for pretty cheap usually, and then get some nice wedge monitors, Yamaha make nice ones. If you want to go the power amp route, carvin and qsc both make affordable power amps that are of decent quality.
Last edited by rokket2005 at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by the_white_bunny
mine the power amp is 1600Watts and that was enough for our metal band.
i also had a another 600 watt power amp for our monitors.

This. You could probably get away with a 1200 and a 500 though. I use a couple 1000's for the bars we play in, then the monitors are self powered.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
i would just need to be running vocals and a saxophone through it at points.
I've got a little behringer eurotrack 8 channel unpowered mixer.
most of the venues we would be using it at would either be outside gigs, or small-medium in size, as most other places around Richmond have their own house PA.
300 watts per channel (600 total) or more plus whatever you want to run your monitors on. I run 500 watts per channel (1000 total) when I play in pubs. It doesn't have THAT much more power than we need and the pubs around here aren't big so that 300 per channel is an absolute minimum
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Apr 28, 2011,