Hey
I'm trying to really get our band to really sound a lot better and i really wanna start writing better lead guitar parts and better solos. I wanted to really do things a lot like synyster gates from a7x. Can anyone help me try to write solos a lot like his or can someone tell me like what he does in his solos? Like what kinds of scales he uses like triads and how he comes up with solos that sound perfect with the music. And if you can, like what techniques he uses like sweep picking and things like that cuz i suck with technical names and stuff? And how can I just increase my overall speed and shit like that. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Quote by Irocksyoursocks
absolutly no clue sry like i said im pretty bad at terminology and stuff

How tempting it is to answer your question I gotta have to say this.
99% of the modern western music isn't written with modes.
*washes mouth with soap*
No, that's what they told me, otherwise, not my words!
Quote by Rice_Pilot
Do you know what modes are?

usually the people suggesting using modes are the people who don't know how to use them

to the TS learn some basic theory and practice the techniques you think you'll need. writing leads is alot easier when you understand how music works.
Quote by z4twenny
usually the people suggesting using modes are the people who don't know how to use them

to the TS learn some basic theory and practice the techniques you think you'll need. writing leads is alot easier when you understand how music works.

Hey, I KINDA know how to use them Cant' I try to look cool once in a while?
Well i know like major scales so its not that I don't understand scales its just putting them together to make it sound fast and good is the part i'm strugglin with like i just wanna know how Syn writes this stuff so fast cuz i know he just will be playing like random shit on his guitar and it sounds amazing and I don't get how can play these amazing sounding solos. I guess I wanna know like what techniques like sweep and tremolo picking he uses and how he learned to play so fast.
Quote by Rice_Pilot

there is no "kinda" with modes, either you know'em or you don't. thats likes saying you kinda know how to construct chords or kinda know how to construct a major scale.

and no, suggesting modes for someone who isn't ready for it is only going to confuse the person, so anothers confusion isn't worth you trying to look cool.
Quote by Irocksyoursocks
i know he just will be playing like random shit on his guitar and it sounds amazing and I don't get how can play these amazing sounding solos.

its not random at all once you understand how music works
Last edited by z4twenny at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by Irocksyoursocks
Hey
I'm trying to really get our band to really sound a lot better and i really wanna start writing better lead guitar parts and better solos. I wanted to really do things a lot like synyster gates from a7x. Can anyone help me try to write solos a lot like his or can someone tell me like what he does in his solos? Like what kinds of scales he uses like triads and how he comes up with solos that sound perfect with the music. And if you can, like what techniques he uses like sweep picking and things like that cuz i suck with technical names and stuff? And how can I just increase my overall speed and shit like that. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

What would really help you out alot is to learn some solos. Memorize em, play the crap out of em. Then come back to writing solos with some experience under your belt. It'll make a really big difference in your ability to solo.
shred is gaudy music
Syn stated he usually writes his solos before entering the studio to record the song, so take some time and go over each part in your head and consider how you want it to sound. Obvious you have to use the correct scales with the key your using and initially don't stray from it. Once you've got the basic outline of how you want it to be, then try adding a few parts here and there and changing maybe a run into say arpeggios, but don't do too much. It's like painting, don't overdo it.

Playing fast just comes with practice but don't do anything too hard, I totally made that mistake when i was learning and learnt to paly fast only to later realise I couldn't play in any sort of situation involving an intrument other than the one i'm playing. I had to work hard to get out of that and my teacher kept saying don't run till you can walk. He made me slow it down and leave gaps between good sounding phrases, basically getting a control over what you play and eventually it becomes second nature and you do stuff without really thinking bevause your so familiar with the notes that your fingers know what notes you want even if you don't and thats how you develop soling ability I suppose.
Also learning songs helps a lot in developing a style and also ability, like challenge yourself with learning a particularly (relative to you) difficult solo in a month, etc.
Just relaying what helped me, hope it was useful
Take the time to learn some of Syn's solos, and the rhythm it's playing over. Then break it down and apply your knowledge of theory to what you learn so you can see how the it works. I'd take a guess that you'll need to understand the major and minor scales (how they are constructed, how to harmonise etc.), sweep picking, alternate picking, legato. Also, chord tones, creating and releasing tension...the list goes on.

What I'm basically trying to point out is that understanding somebody's soloing technique is above the scope of a forum thread. You'll need to put time into this to truly get the benefit.

Edit: Oh, and just to stress, NO modes will be required.
Listen to what you're going to be playing over. Before you even touch your guitar, hum/sing/whatever what you think would be the most amazing epic solo possible. Then figure out how to play it on your guitar. Too often when you try and figure it out on the guitar you resort to old licks and patterns that your hands are used to.

Edit: I mean more for just crafting solos in general. If you want to play more like gates/wylde/morello/whoever, learn their music
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Last edited by engineno9 at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by Rice_Pilot

See that's the thing, to look cool you do the OPPOSITE of this, and you don't say these things

I know you're trying to help. But the TS is asking something that we have not determined if he has the relevant knowledge to pull off.

Best,

Sean
Thanks everyone this really helped a lot if you have anymore suggestions I am MORE then happy to read them anything helps but thanks this is really gonna make me a better guitar player.
Quote by Irocksyoursocks
Thanks everyone this really helped a lot if you have anymore suggestions I am MORE then happy to read them anything helps but thanks this is really gonna make me a better guitar player.

Sure, go to this site www.musictheory.net and go through each of the lessons slowly, and don't move on to the next one until you understand everything.

And if you ever see anything saying "modes" simply ignore it. Most people who say "modes" don't know what they're talking about, and proceed to teach it anyway. A7x don't use modes, don't think you need to either.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud