anyone have an idea on what this is called:
what is it called when you play a lead/rhythm style like amon amarth? playing heavy notes and skipping strings to play high notes, makes you sound like two guitars. look up guardians of asgaard by amon amarth if you don't know what im talking about, skip to about 2:11 for the best example of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD5tU-5NXd4
And he gave it to you. That is SHIT music, ts.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
It's a pedal riff. You pick a note, which is going to be called the pedal tone from here on out. The pedal tone is used to give a context to the notes that follow it. The pedal tone in this case is the lower note, which is used to suggest a chord.

If the people in MT didn't give you that answer, then the regs must have been off drinking. I can't see them not telling you that.

[GELDIT]
Agreed on all accounts as to the quality of the music and the video. That video made a song I already couldn't stand worse. For more discussion of this band
Last edited by Geldin at Apr 28, 2011,
They're pedal tones or pedal riffs.

No need to be an asshole.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Geldin
It's a pedal riff. You pick a note, which is going to be called the pedal tone from here on out. The pedal tone is used to give a context to the notes that follow it. The pedal tone in this case is the lower note, which is used to suggest a chord.

If the people in MT didn't give you that answer, then the regs must have been off drinking. I can't see them not telling you that.

thanks dude, i've been using this kind of playing style lately and i was wondering what its called
pedal tones/riff, many bands other than amon amarth use them.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thunderstruck by ac/dc is a well known example, Ts.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by BladeSlinger
They're pedal tones or pedal riffs.

No need to be an asshole.

This.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd
This.

That.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I think you can call it metalcore too I suppose. Yeah the type of riff is a pedal tone riff where you 'pedal' a tone continously whilst playing other varied notes in the middle as stated above.
Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a pedal riff? At least not by definition.

The low note changes throughout the riff, so technically it's not actually a pedal. It's sort of like chugging the root of the chord your playing in with.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I paused Hawkwind for this?

Let's get back into our silver machines and leave these douches behind >_>
Quote by Shawn1379
These.

Those.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
What's with all the intolerant ass wholes in this thread needlessly bashing on the music this guy listens to? I for on love Amon Amarth, all though most of that is due to the fact that I love mythology and that's what most of their songs are about.
Quote by Adisturbedone
What's with all the intolerant ass wholes in this thread needlessly bashing on the music this guy listens to? I for on love Amon Amarth, all though most of that is due to the fact that I love mythology and that's what most of their songs are about.

Maybe it's his friendly demeanour and cross-posting that make people so amiable to him.
I love mythology and that's what most of their songs are about.

Dunno, to me it sounds like all their songs are about
WRGLSHMNGLS PRPRLAFWEAWE UUURRRGHGHGHGH.
Resembles murloc language.
It can be referred to as a "polyphonic melody" or a "compound melody." It is a monophonic texture but leaps imply a 2-voice counterpart.