My chugs are sloppy. I never noticed until I recorded, but I am having a hard time with my chugs. I do fine with chords and picking in the mid and high range, but when We go into breakdowns or chugging rhythms, it is where i fall short...
hahaha, I guess i just focused more on my leads and making up chords, than i did on my rhythm playing.
I know some people don't like them, but I been learning some Asking Alexandria. They have a lot of breakdown's that helped me be more accurate, an tight with my chugging.
Quote by Austin174
I know some people don't like them, but I been learning some Asking Alexandria. They have a lot of breakdown's that helped me be more accurate, an tight with my chugging.

This actually happened to me like an hour ago. I realized I've been getting a lot better at t3h br00t4lz breakdowns because I just recently started playing AA. Not The American Average is one that really helped me, because the rhythm isn't too technical. (By technical I mean hard to follow)
That is a good one, I love that break down. You could also try Breathless by AA, it's not a very hard song and the break down/down's are quite fun.
By "chugging" do you mean galloping palm-muted riffs or just slow, downstroked breakdowns?

Because galloping is definitely not something I'd call "easy" - it takes awhile to get the feel down.

But just simple riffs are pretty easy. Try muting closer to the bridge, and use all downstrokes at first to get the heaviness. In fact, I don't know how anybody can get the real "heavy" sound with upstrokes. When I use galloping riffs, I'm definitely alternate picking, but it's a different sound entirely. To get that really thick "sludge" sound they have to be downstrokes pretty much.

You might also want to try heavier strings if you aren't already, and play around with different picks. And I assume you're already down-tuning a bit...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by almosthuman36
Your bad at the easiest thing ever?

This. My guess is that it would take about 3 and a half minutes to fix. You can start by placing your fretting hand over the strings when your not hitting them. Then when you are hitting them you just.. idk palm mute...
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Quote by brandon2784
This. My guess is that it would take about 3 and a half minutes to fix. You can start by placing your fretting hand over the strings when your not hitting them. Then when you are hitting them you just.. idk palm mute...

Im pretty sure hes on about the rhythm of breakdowns not the technique used. Correct me if im wrong though
Quote by smokeysteve22
Im pretty sure hes on about the rhythm of breakdowns not the technique used. Correct me if im wrong though

Oh my b, well then forget what I said lol.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Quote by ethansj1
dont practice.

Oooo thumbs up man, I may have to try this sometime!

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91

Don't know if this is a troll thread or not (probably is since the other posts are quite stupid), but assuming it's not: Practice slowly and make sure you're holding the pick right. Practice it for hours, like 3-4 hours a day for a week or so.
Then again if you're having problems here, I wonder if it's a technique flaw (which doing the above will honestly **** you over big time)

Make sure you're in a comfortable position... no tension...etc; can you post more please if you're serious about getting better?
If it sounds sloppy you're either have crap pickups, amp, or too much gain (gear-wise). Technique-wise you probably don't have enough space in between chugs to make them sound tight and separated.

Try doing one chug (000) then pause, do another, pause etc. Speed that up eventually. Also try 4 and 5 note chugs, really helps develop control because it requires a little more finesse.
It's probably just a fundamental muting issue. Work on it until it sounds good, experiment, 2 hand mute when you're not playing, etc.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
does it sound bad or is your technique bad? if its your technique, try moving your wrist closer or further to and from the bridge, reposition and look for the spot that gives you enough chug and enough choke. is its the sound of the chug thats bothering you, try messing with that good old bass and mid knob
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I guess I just dont have enough strength in my picking hand, and I tend to tense up when I have to play intricate breakdowns. I feel really dumb for posting this now... I guess I'm the only one who has this problem. lol.
I chug on my bass sometimes, which I assume is harder than on guitar, and as far as I have found (when learning both on guitar and on bass), it's easier if you play around with (as other people have said) where you stick the side of your hand relative to the bridge; and also standing up while playing. Most things are harder when standing up. Holding your pick differently can change how you strum, and therefore how easy the guitar is to play, and there are different ways as I'm sure you know.

And also, trying to relax helps. If possible.

...That was rather verbose.

I think it's time we blow this scene
Get everybody and the stuff together
Okay
Let's jam

BLAAAAAAAM THIS CRAP