Hi all \m/

I'm playing guitar for a 2,5 years, but in the last few weeks,I want to play it serious...
Can someone give me advice, what to learn, what music teory...I know chords,tabs....but I want to be serious....I want to make my own songs, own solos...
Thank you, all
hey man, awesome that your startin to play serious =)
as far as what to learn and all, lessons are great if you can afford them. but if not books really help a lot, and there are plenty of good lessons online. that way you can learn theory and such in an organized way instead of more randomly.
hope that helps, good luck =D!
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
biggest thing i can say is practice often and most importantly, PROPERLY!

get a metronome if you havent already done so and start working your way through the exercises and technique threads on here (check the guitar techniques section, there are a bunch of great stickies full of stuff to help you out) or online.

GO slow and focus on playing it right over playing it fast.

there really isnt anything that you HAVE TO practice, you really can go about it anyway you like, just make sure that your weaknesses get attention and you dont constantly play towards your strengths.

as far as music theory there are many good sites that start from basics such as musictheory.net link , they even have exercises to help you along your way so its not all just dry reading.

o and one more link i used to love for learning scales and chords

chords & scales

good luck man, any other questions, youve found a great site to ask em!
Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Apr 28, 2011,
A nice tip from Vai is to play everything slowly, and make sure every note sounds GOOD. This may sound simple but if you take the time to ensure that every note of that 1,000,000 note-per-second lick you learn sounds the best it can.. well, you've got a 1,000,000 good notes even if they're too fast to hear. You'll know they're good, and that'll make you FEEL good about yourself and your playing.

Knowing that you're always in prime condition/ability is a great feeling, whether it's guitar or sport etc
tnx all...
From this day, I play serious :P
Quote by k10
tnx all...
From this day, I play serious :P

Aye... if you're playing metal, the natural minor scales are supposed to be good. Personally, I shred penatonics, butttt some ppl think that's stupid... i say "To each his own and if it sounds good.. WHO CARES how easy it is?" Look at Walk-pantera. Easy as picking up a pencil. EASIER*. yet it sounds Amazing. Simplicity of guitar licks are occasionally what make it sound totally dynamite.
I'd suggest trying to write simple songs as well as practicing your playing, this is what I did when I started and it definately made the whole process alot more satisfying and put the different ideas and techniques I had learnt to use and helped me see how they worked.
hehe....Yes i have Private Lessons, but I want to learn at my own...Becz it makes me more happy when I play, if I learnt it by myself
Quote by k10
Hi all \m/

I'm playing guitar for a 2,5 years, but in the last few weeks,I want to play it serious...
Can someone give me advice, what to learn, what music teory...I know chords,tabs....but I want to be serious....I want to make my own songs, own solos...
Thank you, all

i suggest you study for a music exam.
grade exams are held three times a year. and with lessons you could progression through on average 2- 3 grades a year. for a complete beginner (about 11 years or older ) you could get to grade 8 within 3 years.
in order to do well at the higher gradings 6-8 you should be performing to a professional capacity so ensemble or band playing will be a logical goal.
you can find more about grading by typing guitar grades into google.
guys, how can i write my own music...my own solo... what Do I need to know, scales or what...
chord proggresion, which chords to use..
There is a book for serious guitar players, it is located here: www.seriousguitar.com It's great. It's called Serious Guitar, and it can be a great way to learn a lot of chords and theory and all of the modes (scales) you'd ever like to learn. It will walk you through the entire process, but you have to be *really* serious, because it will take you at least 3, probably 4 years to get through the whole book. To learn technique you might need either lessons or some DVDs like John Petrucci from Dream Theatre's 'Rock Discipline' DVD

Start listening to music critically for the melodies which you like, and when you realize what you like then start trying to create similar melodies and you'll be happy when you get good at that That's two-thirds of songwriting, making a good melody. Or you can start with chords and then do a melody through that, but the important thing is to develop your ear by thinking of something you'd like to write in your head and then transferring it to guitar. You will get the best results with this approach.
"Things seem pretty crummy, but if they could carry us away with them, we'd die of poetry. In a way, that wouldn't be bad." -Louis-Ferdinand Celine
To quote something I read elsewhere on this site by I cant remember who.... but it is so right....

Buy "The Guitar Handbook". Read. Read again. Prosper.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by 91RG350
To quote something I read elsewhere on this site by I cant remember who.... but it is so right....

Buy "The Guitar Handbook". Read. Read again. Prosper.

That's awesome! it looks like an encyclopedia, I'll definitely have to get that!
"Things seem pretty crummy, but if they could carry us away with them, we'd die of poetry. In a way, that wouldn't be bad." -Louis-Ferdinand Celine
Quote by k10
guys, how can i write my own music...my own solo... what Do I need to know, scales or what...
chord proggresion, which chords to use..

you said you take lessons, so ask your instructor to teach you music theory. it can be quite boring, but having an instructor teach you will help you much more than trying to learn on your own.

later when you understand how theory works, then teach yourself new techniques and what not....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
you said you take lessons, so ask your instructor to teach you music theory. it can be quite boring, but having an instructor teach you will help you much more than trying to learn on your own.

later when you understand how theory works, then teach yourself new techniques and what not....

This.

But if you really want a basic answer to your question TS.

1. The Major Scale (The basis of most theory, you NEED to know this)

2. Pentatonic Scale (Where most of your soloing will come from)

3. Intervals (Needed for chord construction)

4. Chord Construction (You will NEED to know the Major Scale & Intervals for this)

5. Throughout all of this you should try and know the notes on the fretboard.

Thats just a small list which can take a while to get through.

But if you do have a teacher, ask them about this stuff not randomers on the internet.
yes, I'm learning all notes, and the Scals...step by step...thx all for help
If you wanna get serious about playing guitar just practice more and introduce yourself to new aspects.
New aspects isn't something like a completely different style like from rock to classical but taking a specific technique like playing with chromatic approaches, often used with jazz.
If you want to write your own songs I mostly start out with harmonies so chords.
I mostly pick a key and start messing around with extra chord tones such as sevenths and nineths.
Once I find a sound I like mostly the other chord runs in automatically.
I wrote this chord progression sounding very Satch like, it's an Amaj7 to a G chord.
I was completely out of the box when writing this but I am in the box when soloing.