My gf has decided to learn to play guitar, would like to know which guitars would be nice for a beginner, only looking for a cheap thing really, £50-70, preferably a bit smaller than the standard size
I think your best bet would probably be to go secondhand.

A $100 (£60) new guitar won't play great. And a cheap guitar with a high action might discourage her. Look online, or go to your nearest guitar shop, and find a used Fender, Yamaha, Ibanez or something like that.

Every new guitar player starts low end, but using a generic, hard to play brand might put her off guitar playing.

If you want more accurate advice, go look at some guitars, write down the name and model, and then post those on the forum. There are lots of experts here who I'm sure would be happy to help you pick the best.

Tell your girlfriend good luck!
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Used Yamaha FG730S is definitely the way to go, or on the little bit more expensive side, a Seagull S6, although I would still recommend the Yamaha over this.
as FirstDegree says, poor quality guitars don't sound good, and they're harder to play. because of this, most people who have low quality guitars give up.
http://www.mccabes.com/usedrent.html

on the other hand, not every new player starts low end. most of the people i know who kept playing didn't.

Quote by FirstDegree
I think your best bet would probably be to go secondhand.

A $100 (£60) new guitar won't play great. And a cheap guitar with a high action might discourage her. Look online, or go to your nearest guitar shop, and find a used Fender, Yamaha, Ibanez or something like that.

Every new guitar player starts low end, but using a generic, hard to play brand might put her off guitar playing.

If you want more accurate advice, go look at some guitars, write down the name and model, and then post those on the forum. There are lots of experts here who I'm sure would be happy to help you pick the best.

Tell your girlfriend good luck!
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!