I'm getting sick of having to tweak the truss rods on two of my guitars every time the humidity here changes and I don't want to just raise the action. But my Schecter extended-range has not needed an adjustment in the sixteen months I own it. I suspect this is because the neck has graphite rods running through it to handle really heavy string tension. Am I correct about that? Or are my other guitars just made from crappy pieces of wood that react to humidity too much?

And what kind of options do I have for buying a guitar with a shorter scale (24.5"–25.5") that doesn't flake out every time it rains that day after a hot, dry day? Without getting a custom guitar or an expensive aluminum or carbon-fiber neck.
could be tension. more tension on the neck obviously the more force the neck is fighting. could be type of wood and its qualities as well as the finish. i can almost be certain a hard poly finish is going to be more reistant to envirnomental changes compared to tung oil or nitro. or hell, no finish.

i know my epi les paul with apoly finish doesnt change much. i was taking a leson the other day and the teacher who keeps a epi dot hollow body in his practice room for lessons only, mentioned his guitar as all over the place due to the humidity and AC in the room.
Its possible that a quartersawn neck may not need adjusting as frequently as the rings of the wood follow the curvature of the neck compared to a flatsawn neck. Quartersawn necks are stronger and are a lot less likely to warp and twist.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quartersawn maple doesn't need to be adjusted as much but it still needs the occasional tweak. Warmoth makes necks with this kind of double truss rod design that keeps the neck set in shape forever and never needs adjusting for seasons but Warmoth parts can be pretty expensive and you're limited to bolt-ons with Fender Strat or Tele heels. Some longer necks do have graphite rods in them but that's more of a bass thing really and it effects the tone and weight quite drastically. If you want a regular scale 6-string guitar and you don't want a Warmoth truss rod of a quartersawn neck then you're stuffed, basically.
If you want to go the whole hog, check out Vigier, they use carbon fiber splices instead of truss rods, pretty much a lifetime guarantee to never need adjusting
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Rainsong Acoustic guitars do not warp due to them being carbon fiber, but over all Quarter Sawn Maple necks help the most against warping.
GEAR
Guitars: LTD V401DX, USA Jackson King V (pre-fender), Knock off Jackson Kelly
Pick ups: EMGs, Seymour Duncans
Amp: Randall RG100SC w/ matching cab
Boss and Dunlop Electronics
Parkers can be had at reasonable prices and have carbon fiber incorporated into the neck. I have to say though that all the well-made guitars I've had have been quite stable through even the most extreme humidity changes. Perhaps it's different with the very thin necks common on Ibanez/Jackson etc sort of guitars, but it doesn't seem like a very good idea to buy a guitar solely for neck stability. Adjusting the truss rod only takes a few minutes and unless the neck warps or needs a lot of adjusting should not effect the life or playability of the guitar.
something ive noticed, maybe its just my specific guitars, but i find most maple necks, quatersawn or not (i have no idea how to tell) seem to be stronger and more resistant than mahogany necks. thats what ive noticed between my guitars. i could be totally wrong on that though
There are a lot of things that will affect a neck. The cut of wood, any reinforcements, the truss rod, number of pieces used to make the wood, the density of the wood, how well its been dried, what material is used to make the neck, and the thickness just to name a few.

The neck of my JP7 is flatsawn and quite thin, but its easily the most stable neck on a guitar I've owned. There aren't any extra reinforcements in the neck, but MusicMan dry the necks even more than it is when they get it from their supplier (which is how most other manufacturers would use it)
On the other hand, I have a Ibanez neck that isn't as stable as the JP's neck, despite being quartersawn, and its basically the same thickness, and both are maple.

EDIT: ^Maple is denser than mahogany, so thats pretty normal.
Very interesting thread! I noticed that my Washburn N4 vintage is very, very susceptible to changes in temperature/humidity. My JP6 also is now bowed a bit and needs an adjustment. The Ibanez guitars seem to be holding up fine (550, 540pii, 540S). The N4 and JP6 have what feel to be unfinished necks...wish I knew how to adjust a truss rod properly.

Anyone have an easy way to do it? I'd hate to go drop $60 a piece for a setup when everything else is fine.
Lefties Unite!
Learn to set up guitars on your own.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley