UG, I need reccommendations for a new MP3 player

I need AT LEAST 50GB (would prefer 100GB to keep quality high though)

I want good sound quality, was particularly impressed with sony walkman EQ and sound enhancements, but theres nothing large enough by them?

No so keen on apple as I prefer working with drag/drop MP3 and Itunes sucks ass - but its a possibility

Dont give a shit about touch screen or anything silly like that

Budget of under £250

FIRE AWAY!
Last edited by demon.guitarist at Apr 28, 2011,
You can set iTunes to use drag & drop instead of syncing.

Also I don't think the mp3 player has anything to do with sound quality.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Apr 28, 2011,
Zune 120GB 2nd gen

I use the first gen and it's built like a brick. Most underrated MP3 player, imo. Good luck finding one though, they stopped making them
Quote by rgrockr

The walkman has all sorts of stereo field enhancements and reduces the effects of mp3 compression, plus the custom EQ is great, I hear a difference
Yes why don't you just remix every album while you're at it......

But seriously if you like the walkman the most get it. I use an iPod because they have lots of space so I can store a lot of stuff, it's easy. I use good headphones so the music sounds pretty sweet as well but if there's a particular aspect of the music I don't like I don't immediately try and EQ I just think, 'ho hum, the mixing on this isn't the best'.
Quote by demon.guitarist
The walkman has all sorts of stereo field enhancements and reduces the effects of mp3 compression, plus the custom EQ is great, I hear a difference

I actually find stereo widening irritating.
I don't like ipods, but if memory is what you want go with a classic. Ditch the apple earphones though.
Oh oh! On the iPod classic if you go to the main menu then settings it does have some EQ features
Yeah, classic, get some decent headphones though, I recommend Sennheiser.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Quote by no lolage
Yes why don't you just remix every album while you're at it......

But seriously if you like the walkman the most get it. I use an iPod because they have lots of space so I can store a lot of stuff, it's easy. I use good headphones so the music sounds pretty sweet as well but if there's a particular aspect of the music I don't like I don't immediately try and EQ I just think, 'ho hum, the mixing on this isn't the best'.

Not enough space, wondered if there were any that sounded better than the ipod
Yeah, I'm a little anal about sound quality
Quote by rgrockr

It does. There's a stage in an MP3 player called a DAC- Digital to Analogue Converter. It basically changes the digital information into an analogue signal usable by the power amp so you can listen to music via headphones. Better DAC= Better/truer conversion= Better music quality. In fact, it's exactly the same as in a CD player, except that one has a hard disc, the other an optical disc.
Doest that mean that headphones carry an alternating current if they transmit analogue signal?

Sorry to be a bit off topic.... I just work in a recording studio so I like this kind of thing.....
Quote by no lolage
Doest that mean that headphones carry an alternating current if they transmit analogue signal?

Sorry to be a bit off topic.... I just work in a recording studio so I like this kind of thing.....

analogue doesn't imply AC. Idk about what current headphones carry. Probably DC.
Quote by no lolage

Headphones do carry AC, like all speakers (as far as I'm aware).

Anyways, new iThings use Wolfson DACs- the same DAC circuitry used by companies like Arcam and Onkyo, whose CD players can cost more than most people's wages for a few months.
Cowon j3 or x7 (or somesuch)

60+ hrs battery life, 120 gigs on the x7, brilliant sound.

J3 can be taken running ect, x7 is a tad bulky.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker