hey guys, what exactly is the best way to go about naming your band? I try to relate the music with a phrase that seems to describe us...but i cant seem to find a good name for us that has a ring to it.

what exactly did you all do when you made your bands name?
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Well, we did push metal to new limits, so we needed a silly still memorable name. Now everybody just call us ´tallica, but we have the word Metal in it. How metal is that, huh?

JH.

NOW seriously. I just opened a webpage a looked for some cool words, like Deathcore band - Show Your Signature

sth like that..
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
If you have a cool street name you practice on, then you can do th-- oh, I guess Parkway Drive already did that.

Well, if one of your mates wrote a cool poem you can name it after th-- oh, I guess System Of A Down did that.

My point is there's no real algorithm to getting a good name. Unless you're a death metal band, then you can just think of the most br00tal sounding name that has connotations of death, and preferably something to do with a fetus.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
lol, nice
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by laid-to-waste
If you have a cool street name you practice on, then you can do th-- oh, I guess Parkway Drive already did that.

Well, if one of your mates wrote a cool poem you can name it after th-- oh, I guess System Of A Down did that.

My point is there's no real algorithm to getting a good name. Unless you're a death metal band, then you can just think of the most br00tal sounding name that has connotations of death, and preferably something to do with a fetus.

well, me and my band mates have been sitting around brainstorming for roughly 2 months on making a really good name.

Surely were doing something wrong if we havnt made a name yet
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Or combine several names... like, Avenged Valentine or Bullet Sevenfold...

Shit, this just comes to you one day. My band mate (two man band) and I were just sitting around, then I thought

Hay, whay about ____ for a band name? and he just said yeah, whatevers, the music is the importnat. names just go on the bill
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
It'll come to you. That's just how it happens.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Quote by VintageAmigo
well, me and my band mates have been sitting around brainstorming for roughly 2 months on making a really good name.

Surely were doing something wrong if we havnt made a name yet

some of the best names don't mean shit.

protest the hero is an amazing name imo, and in an interview, they said 'it's supposed to be some badass political message we made back when we were 14'

system of a down was about a poem their guitarist made called 'victims of a down', and they changed it to 'system' to be closer to slayer on the music shelf, which i think is an awesome name.

to the above post, i'm pretty sure avenged sevenfold was just a nice name the singer came up with; so it can be purely phonetic if you like.

muse is nice and simple.

paramore rolls off the tongue.

dream theater sounds poetic.

it can be about a fun night out, it doesn't really matter. it comes down to what you'd be comfortable being announced as in front of an audience, and what you feel defines you and your music.

when i was in a band for my year 10 talent show, it was temporary, so we called it fresh cookie. little did they know it's actually named after a sex shop in a back alley. some people did though, seen as we told most of the audience.

EDIT: the above about combining is a bad idea. combining two bands makes you look like a hybrid tribute band. you can have idols in your name like marilyn manson does.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Apr 28, 2011,
make names that are are are kind of stupid, but not completely stupid. it has to have the perfect balance on the fine line between being badass and being retarded.

and generally, three or more word (the words "of," "and," and "the" only count if there are more than one) band names are lame, but there are a few exceptions, particularly bands named after albums. the best names tend to be either a really cool single word or else two words beginning with the same letter (known as alliteration), possibly with "of" or "the" in between, but usually not.

certain words should never be used in band names or else you will sound like a deathcore band made up of five scene kids. these include:

any words related to sicknesses, including plague and disease, the exception being complicated medical terms, but this is only acceptable for grindcore or brutal death metal.

any word that involves negative emotions (such as fear, anger, sadness, etc)

certain violent words, including words that involve fire other than the words fire or flamethrower, methods of killing are bad unless they are the only word in the name, like the bands Decapitated and Suffocation, and anything that involves guns. these are especially important if you don't want to sound emo, and not like the old emotional hardcore, but like the mall goth Hot Topic emo. gorey words are okay though, but again only for grindcore and brutal death metal.

any reference to swords, dragons, wizards, or other "fantasy" things are bad unless the band is either power metal, traditional heavy metal, black metal, or folk/viking metal.

having references to pop culture is bad unless you are a humo(u)rous band.

don't use words like "epic," "awesome," "super," etc unless you are a humo(u)rous band.

don't use words relating to winter unless they are uncommon words (common words being winter, snow, frost, cold, ice, north, etc) unless you want to sound like generic black metal.

follow these do's and don't's (mostly the don't's) and you too can have a cool band name.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Just make shit up, best name ever
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by hames jetfield
just pick a few random unrelated words. Eg. Bring me the horizon, As I Lay Dying
trollface.jpg

Isn't AILD named after the book?
Most of the time its a slip of the tongue when getting wasted with band mates. for instance Dorris tripped over a subwoofer, and went "shit I broke your submarine box!" at the time we were looking for a band name, so I was like "guys, I think we just found our new band name...." all of us in unison: "SUBMARINE BOX"

There was a cool generator, but i cant remember it, but its similar to my album name/song title generator

go to wikiquotes, click random page, last 3-5 word phrase of the 3rd quote is your album name/song title

you get decent shit like great white ninja, blinded with fire-irons, weakness within us, harmful to others, machine for writing, people of embers,
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Quote by andyscoot
Isn't AILD named after the book?

no idea about that band. I was trolling but sure as hell sounds totally random.
Quote by laid-to-waste

lol what's with you mention Parkway Drive in these threads.
Keep your eye out. Like at everything, receipts, signs, just anything and i bet something will sound good to you. Thats how I've named my last 2 bands.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
^ Basically.

Just consider everything, we were having practice, and weren't expecting anything to come of an upcoming BOTB, and the singer said "Whatever Happens... Happens"

We used that.
Ibanez AM78T with Lace Sensors
Squier Affinity with American Standard Electronics
Line 6 duoVerb
Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive, Heavy Distortion, and Vintage Tube Monster
Digitech RP500

Yeah, I have a colored sig.
Quote by jcboomer
Keep your eye out. Like at everything, receipts, signs, just anything and i bet something will sound good to you. Thats how I've named my last 2 bands.

Change it to "keep an eye out" and BAMMM!!!! band name!
Quote by scguitarking927
Change it to "keep an eye out" and BAMMM!!!! band name!

Nice find man, haha
Quote by Tmusician
Nice find man, haha

haha thanks, point is TS, anything and everything is available. Just like I just saw a phrase I liked on someone's post, you may see something you like on a billboard somewhere. Listen to your favorite song take a line out of that, or maybe something out of a movie you like.

You could always do what cheap trick did and ask a ouiji board hahaha
My band had a gig coming up in a couple days, and decided that we had to come up with one right there. So we brain stormed for a couple ours and our drummer said the briantologists. we dismissed it at first, but then decided it actually kind of grew on you. We changed it to the Briantists, and that's pretty much it. Take everything into consideration.
The best way to name a band? Definitely the Dictionary and Coin game

Dictionary and Coin Game

Rules:
Open dictionary to random page with your eyes closed and point to a word. Open your eyes (figure out what the word is) and flip the coin.

Possible outcomes; followed by next step:
If the word is a Noun and begins with a vowel, + you get heads -> new band name;
if the multiball rule is in effect, repeat process.
if not stop, congratulations, you have a new band name.

If the word is a Noun and begins with a consonant, + you get heads -> add "The" in front of it and the sffix "-s" (a.k.a. The Plural Rule) and that's your new band name;
if the Multiball rule is in effect, repeat process.
if not, stop.

If the word is "Slang" + you get heads -> new band name; stop

If the word is an Adjective + you get heads -> new 1st word of your band name; repeat process.

If the word is a verb, adverb or preposition -> ignore coinflip; repeat process

Any word + tails -> repeat process

Special Rules:

If the word is an article (a, an, the) + heads ->
new first word of your band name (placed in front of the adjective, replaced if the plural rule enters effect)

If the word is a conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, etc.)+ heads ->
MULTIBALL! Rule: Find two nouns and combine them with a conjunction of your choosing; repeat process at least twice.

If the word is a number + heads ->
add the number to your band name, either in front of, or behind the noun (players discretion); Repeat Process.
Special Number Rule: If the number picked is the same number of people in your band then your band name becomes; "[The city you are currently in] [Number]"

If the word is already the name of a band + heads ->
2x multiplier!; Repeat Process scoring double points until you pick a verb, adverb or preposition.

If the word is a name or Proper Noun + heads ->
use the name or proper noun as an Adjective; (see adjective rules above)

If the word is a abbreviation + heads ->
New Band Name; Stop.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi